Homelite XP project. lots of pictures (Cutting video)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Permatex Form-A-Gasket 300 liquid. 'Drys' to a stiff tar like state. I've been workin' on a can of it for years. Laquer thinner is only thing that will cut it.

You use that plus a gasket? that tank should never leak. Thanks for the product name and number. I will look for some.

I doubt the stuff is available anymore. I use two coats dry overnight to eliminate base gaskets.

It is still available Permatex calls it gasket maker #3 now they list it for rigid part aviation.

I Have been hanging around here and stumbled into the "saw building 101" section. uh oh!
Just wondering what i can do to make this homelite run with or beat a stihl 076? 36" bar just a friendly little competition, he has had the big saw on the block for a while. It is supposedly modded some but the fella that owns it likes to tell stories.

Or will I just have to find a 750 or super 2100 to get the job done?

Thank you

need a homelite 3100g it will kill a 090 stihl thought im sure your saw would do it also.

My saw is only 100cc don't think it has a shot at a 090, but the 076 is 5-10 cc bigger than mine. I am hoping that I can get it to give the 076 a good run. A 3100g would be a nice saw to have.

Does anybody have a picture of a super xp manual oil clutch cover? I have seen some that say power master only, and some a solid green rectangle that says powermaster.
My other super xp 1020 automatic has green on the air filter cover, same as this xp, plus green on the clutch cover. Since this saw dosent have a serial tag, do you see any problems with me painting it like a sxp 1020? I haven't found any part numbers different in the ipl.

thank you for the help.

Nice job on the recoil repair.

Looks like there may be a small hole in the intake casting above the reed block? Looking at the 4th pic it looks like vibration started a crack where the filter hold down bolt connects. Condensation, over the time it has set, may have rusted the reeds and the bearings. Hate to see you do all this work and then have one of the bearings fail, so yes I would replace the rings, bearings, reed block and seals..

One of the members here, I think its Glock37, does a real nice job on these castings with powder coat. Powder coat is a more durable baked on finish for metal surfaces. It would make your Homelite stand out for sure. This gent Im talking about did some work for Mastermind so you can get his contact info from Randy in case Im wrong about the screen name.

Good luck with the project.

Nice job on the recoil repair.

Looks like there may be a small hole in the intake casting above the reed block? Looking at the 4th pic it looks like vibration started a crack where the filter hold down bolt connects. Condensation, over the time it has set, may have rusted the reeds and the bearings. Hate to see you do all this work and then have one of the bearings fail, so yes I would replace the rings, bearings, reed block and seals..

One of the members here, I think its Glock37, does a real nice job on these castings with powder coat. Powder coat is a more durable baked on finish for metal surfaces. It would make your Homelite stand out for sure. This gent Im talking about did some work for Mastermind so you can get his contact info from Randy in case Im wrong about the screen name.

Good luck with the project.

I believe that is the casting particles you see in the picture. I will check to be sure. I have decided to tear the saw al the way down and replace everything, bearings, seals, and gaskets.

I am just going to paint it, I like to use a zinc chromate primer on the bear mg, then a good primer. For the color I am going to use rattle can paint. Let that cure and scuff then clear with automotive clear. I dont want to make the saw to nice to use.

Thank you for the reply.

I don't think that the displacement is a big issue, 11cc isn't that much.... however, the RPM will probably kill you, they can run 10,000, reality is probably closer to 9000. Your 1020 only 6000RPM.

I wouldn't bet on it unless you can sharpen a good chain... I mean a race chain!

However.... at the Virginia GTG last year, my Super 2000 was the second fastest saw.. Mastermind brought a Husky 272 with square ground chain and a port job from hell.... thing probably was running 14,000rpm!

I don't think that the displacement is a big issue, 11cc isn't that much.... however, the RPM will probably kill you, they can run 10,000, reality is probably closer to 9000. Your 1020 only 6000RPM.

I wouldn't bet on it unless you can sharpen a good chain... I mean a race chain!

However.... at the Virginia GTG last year, my Super 2000 was the second fastest saw.. Mastermind brought a Husky 272 with square ground chain and a port job from hell.... thing probably was running 14,000rpm!

Thanks for the info.

What limits the rpm so much on these old homelites? Is it the induction, or the bottom end? Do you have anything done to your super 2000? I was thinking about getting a square ground skip for the 60" bar. would I have a better shot with a longer bar or my 18" and a 9 pin lol

I wouldn't call the 075/76 series low revving duds, well, yeah I can and have.
All things being equal, your 1020 will be close in performance, if you want leave them breathing your fumes, one of the 114cc models will do that.
090s are good for milling or stationary use such as pumping water.

The super 2000 is 114cc and was running a 20" harvester bar and .404 8 pin rim. If I could have found a 9 or 10 pin rim in .404.... would have been a different story. A good chain goes a long way, better sharpen it good! Small bar, about 20" and a big wheel.... .404 8 pin.

I wouldn't call the 075/76 series low revving duds, well, yeah I can and have.
All things being equal, your 1020 will be close in performance, if you want leave them breathing your fumes, one of the 114cc models will do that.
090s are good for milling or stationary use such as pumping water.

I will figure out exactly what the other saw is. I am going to experiment with this saw a little bit. I would love to find a 114cc homelite, you don't happen to have any you want to ship to mi do you?

The super 2000 is 114cc and was running a 20" harvester bar and .404 8 pin rim. If I could have found a 9 or 10 pin rim in .404.... would have been a different story. A good chain goes a long way, better sharpen it good! Small bar, about 20" and a big wheel.... .404 8 pin.

Do you have the part number for the harvester bar? This saw has a rim drum with a 404-7 on it now for my 60" but I might get a 9 pin if it really rips.

I found a straight ream that fit in the tank recess nicely, to clearance for the new tank bolts.

man I love this gear wrench ratcheting tap/die set. so nice for this type of stuff.

Does anybody have any tricks to get the grommets out. They are all in really good shape, even has the throttle rod boot.

The lower handle and the bottom of the case on the fly wheel side had a case of mag termites, I have a good Idea for a nice repair.

I don't thing the reeds are supposed to look like this. One has a nick and is tweeked out a little bit. I might have to try to make some new ones/ maybe carbon fiber??

And the pile as of tonight. I am going to check squish tomorrow, and finish the teardown.

I am still looking for a muffler cap and shield. maybe some reed petals.

Where is the best place to get decals?

Thank you

joe

Latest posts

Back