Homemade Kinetic, Rack & Pinion, supersplit style splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesupra

Mainer
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to come across a homebuilt rack and pinion style splitter built locally back in the 70's. I have attached some pics. It seems to be a very well made machine, even more stout than my current SuperSplit. I am looking for ideas on ways to attach a log lift. Thanks

That is a sweet find. Looks pretty rugged to boot.

2 weeks ago I saw a log splitter on a farm that used a hand winch mounted on a pole that swung left or right to pick up rounds and lower them on the splitter.

Hope it works well for you.

That is a sweet find. Looks pretty rugged to boot.

2 weeks ago I saw a log splitter on a farm that used a hand winch mounted on a pole that swung left or right to pick up rounds and lower them on the splitter.

Hope it works well for you.

That winch seems like a decent idea.

I've seen one that had a log cradle that folded down. Log could be rolled onto it and then cradle lifted up to splitting rail with long handle for leverage.

I am thinking of mounting the 13hp Greyhound Engine I have sitting around, along with a GM alternator to charge a battery and power a winch connected to a boom lift.

Does anyone know where I can get a 1" double pulley centrifugal clutch. 1 pulley for the alternator and 1 for the splitter flywheel.

I also like the idea of a processor table like the Firewoodinator.

I am thinking of mounting the 13hp Greyhound Engine I have sitting around, along with a GM alternator to charge a battery and power a winch connected to a boom lift.

Does anyone know where I can get a 1" double pulley centrifugal clutch. 1 pulley for the alternator and 1 for the splitter flywheel.

If the shaft is long enough, run the alternator on a fixed pulley and the flywheels off the clutch. You'll want a small diameter pulley to run the alternator at any rate.

Good idea, I don't see why not, the current setup has a ~5hp motor with a 2" pulley to drive the flywheels I don't think I would go much smaller on the alternator any sources for 1" belt driven clutches for cheap?

Good idea, I don't see why not, the current setup has a ~5hp motor with a 2" pulley to drive the flywheels I don't think I would go much smaller on the alternator any sources for 1" belt driven clutches for cheap?

Northern has some, don't know what sizes, and I think Surplus Center has them as well. I was backwards on the alternator drive. Old age brain fart. Big pulley on the engine, small pulley on the alternator. Use the pulley's on your car for size reference.

The problem I am running into is that all the centrifugal clutches big enough to fit a 1" diameter bore of the engine saft have either a 3 or 3.7 Inch diameter pulley.

That takes my pinion gear speed from 5,400 rpm to 10,800 rpm at full 3,600 rpm engine speed. To some extent this seems like it would allow me to run the engine around at a much lower 1,800 rpm, however at that speed I would be receiving much less than the rated 13hp, which is way more than needed anyway considering what I split with my 3.5hp supersplit.

Whats everyones take on this?

You could add a second belt to the flywheel and run that to the alternator.

Getting a centrifugal clutch that fits a bigger engine and has a small enough pulley is going to be hard, I don't know of anyone who makes them. Might have to make your own. Maybe turn down the output shaft on the engine?

Really nice find you have there. Looking forward to pics and video when you have it up and running.

Mr. HE:cool:

That takes my pinion gear speed from 5,400 rpm to 10,800 rpm at full 3,600 rpm engine speed.

How do you figure your pinion RPM to be so high.? A 3.7" clutch pulley, 18"diameter flywheel & engine speed of 3600 RPM would give you a pinion speed of 740 RPM, which is still WAY to high. I have posted this link for pulley & RPM calculator before, but here it is again. The PITCH diameter of the clutch pulley on the SS is 2" or slightly less, & coupled with the flywheel diameter & engine speed of 3000 RPM, pinion (and flywheel ) speed is approximately 300 RPM.

Pulley and RPM Calculator | Engineering Information - Culver Armature and Motor

Thanks for the link, with that information it looks like if I run the smallest clutch I can get, 3" and run the engine around 2100-2200 rpms I should be fine. I think the 13hp at those rpms will still have more than enough power to get the job done. I can't seem to find a torque curve graph for a Chinese Honda 13hp.

That 13 hp is way overkill for these type splitters. My homebuilt flywheel splitter did a great job using a 3hp, 38 yr.old engine off an old Ariens tiller I had. (see "Anybody try to build a Super Splitter " thread for pics of it with that 3 hp engine ) Since that 3 hp only had a 1 quart fuel tank, & gas would either evaporate or leak into engine between uses, I switched to the Blue Harbor Freight 6.5 Honda copy for the bigger fuel tank with a shutoff valve . It's NOT the engine torque that makes these splitters work so well, but the flywheel MASS. Good luck with this one.

I plan on using the Greyhound 13hp for two reasons.

1. I have one lying around from the closeout HF had.

2. I plan on running an electric winch on my setup and therefore need to power a GM 1 wire alternator.

Other than those reasons I would have used the 6.5 Predator engine.

Keep in mind that your flywheel pulley size won't matter. The ratio between the pulley driving the flywheel (one on the engine) and the pulley on the alternator will be your actual ratio. Step down from engine to flywheel, then step back up to alternator. I hope I explained that clearly enough.

Mr. HE:cool:

Its clea, another option is to run a pulley on the shaft of the motor first then put a single pulley clutch on. Anyone know if there would be enough shaft length left?

First off I would love to stumble across a find like that , kudos my tree cutting kin but could you fab up something like the logrite has , a capstan winch? like my Grammy used to say"could be handy as a pocket":msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back