Homeowner gets taken advantage of

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you pay? I must've missed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I paid him $1000 when the tree was down. I then paid him $860 in advance to cut and carry which didn't happen. I put an ad on Craigslist and on this website to try to sell the wood that had been cut down for $600 and this thread got started

Im probably not the only one trying to understand why you handed the guy the $$ in two different portions. At first you said it was thousands of dollars but then recanted, then talked about loosing a deposit, but.. you paid a $1000 once the tree was down, then you gave him another $860 which was suppose to be a deposit? If someone is charging a deposit it usually comes first, before the job even starts.

I ask if it was a two day job because it doesn't make sense to give someone two different transactions for the same job on the same day unless the clean up was an after thought & the guy has to rent a chipper or equipment to remove. If not, that's just weird business if you ask me. Should of seen it coming. If you paid the guy a grand upon completion of the take down why would you allow the scenario to change to a pre paid basis?

Forget the tree in the pic. I like the bike!! I had a 2000 Yamaha R1 similar to that one in college. I had that thing up to 160 mph once...and the wheelies that thing would do....wow

!cid__0404141142.jpg
Im probably not the only one trying to understand why you handed the guy the $$ in two different portions. At first you said it was thousands of dollars but then recanted, then talked about loosing a deposit, but.. you paid a $1000 once the tree was down, then you gave him another $860 which was suppose to be a deposit? If someone is charging a deposit it usually comes first, before the job even starts.

I ask if it was a two day job because it doesn't make sense to give someone two different transactions for the same job on the same day unless the clean up was an after thought & the guy has to rent a chipper or equipment to remove. If not, that's just weird business if you ask me. Should of seen it coming. If you paid the guy a grand upon completion of the take down why would you allow the scenario to change to a pre paid basis?

It went like this:
Day 1: Phone call. Hey **** I would like to have the beech tree cut down. Could you do it and how much?
Reply- "Yes I can do it for $2000 dollars
Day 2: (not the very next day) He shows up with crew of 2 plus himself and chipper. Cuts the branches the chipper can handle.
Day 3: (not the very next day) Shows up with crew and cuts the remaining tree down. At this point I give him $1860 dollars cash (it's all I had with me at the time) with the understanding that he will return to remove the wood.
Today: I haven't heard from him and he doesn't return my phone calls.
Earlier this week I placed an ad on craigs list to see if I could sell the wood. I also placed an ad on this great website which started this very interesting and informative blog.
So there you have it

Forget the tree in the pic. I like the bike!! I had a 2000 Yamaha R1 similar to that one in college. I had that thing up to 160 mph once...and the wheelies that thing would do....wow
It belongs to my son. I used to have a Suzuki 550 rice burner back in the '90s when I could still ride a bike. Gosh I miss it.

Alex , I have got to give you credit for sticking it out with this subject. I felt guilty in my original posting saying that I thought your OP was misleading since it was on CL for $600 and no mention here in the OP of price so not really sure what to think before more information was out there . Can be a tough crowd here sometimes and cudos to yourself for having tough skin. Looks like you have a plan and best of luck.

As far as that motorcycle I had one for a while but thought it was probably smarter to get rid of it before I baeame just another statistic , waaaaay too easy to see three digits on the speedometer in the blink of an eye , with so many cars on the road and poor drivers it is probably safer to run a chainsaw naked.

Geez, this thing went further south than the thread about "Glad I burn wood not pellets". Sorry you got burned on the rest of the job Alex. Hang in there, lots of decent folks with good advice here.

3 days for one tree!!

So there was never really a deposit? You pretty much paid him in full all at once, no separate transactions or deposits like mentioned before? He just never finished the job according to you.. Maybe there was a misunderstanding about the removal of the wood & your voicemails to him sound like a confrontation & he thinks the job is completed??

I'm not standing up for the guy AT ALL as I despise theifs with a passion...

Its just that in trying to understand this story i feel as if Ive heard a few different scenarios, deposits, no deposits, multiple transactions, single transactions, said you exagerated about the bid price but just now said you agreed to the amount you said you exaggerated about... Really, I'm not trying to argue or call you out.. Trying to understand.. Maybe this tree guy is hearing your voice mails & is saying to himself, "what the hell is this guy talking about, I even gave him a deal & knocked off $140, I'll deal with this later". Not exactly the best business ethic but definatley not uncommon for PPL to avoid confrontation, especially if they have they been paid accordingly. Could be way of base here, as 2g for that tree without removal is high, but it is a possibility.

3 days for one tree!!

So there was never really a deposit? You pretty much paid him in full all at once, no separate transactions or deposits like mentioned before? He just never finished the job according to you.. Maybe there was a misunderstanding about the removal of the wood & your voicemails to him sound like a confrontation & he thinks the job is completed??

I'm not standing up for the guy AT ALL as I despise theifs with a passion...

Its just that in trying to understand this story i feel as if Ive heard a few different scenarios, deposits, no deposits, multiple transactions, single transactions, said you exagerated about the bid price but just now said you agreed to the amount you said you exaggerated about... Really, I'm not trying to argue or call you out.. Trying to understand.. Maybe this tree guy is hearing your voice mails & is saying to himself, "what the hell is this guy talking about, I even gave him a deal & knocked off $140, I'll deal with this later". Not exactly the best business ethic but definatley not uncommon for PPL to avoid confrontation, especially if they have they been paid accordingly. Could be way of base here, as 2g for that tree without removal is high, but it is a possibility.
Post # 90 explains it all.

Geez, this thing went further south than the thread about "Glad I burn wood not pellets". Sorry you got burned on the rest of the job Alex. Hang in there, lots of decent folks with good advice here.
That thread went downhill faster and I was a prick to everyone in my path. Lol. This guy just got a raw deal.

The defendant; Mr. Kriss, has withstood the interrogation fairly well. Minimal testiness.
The cross examination by the chief prosecutor; Mr. J.C. Corn, is expected to end upon the removal of the victim (the beech).
The questions may stop but I have doubts about change in the prosecutor's nature.

Alex, I have also been on the receiving end of this type of grilling here. I once admitted to carrying a fair amount of wood on the back of a small truck which led to some outrage. You're doing a fine job. Many people in this forum pride themselves on obtaining wood for free or cheap and are willing to work hard to get it. Trying to sell wood here will be about as successful as selling ice to the Eskimos but you've recognized this. Hopefully the person coming to get it will be as happy with the job and the wood as you will be to have it gone.

The questions may stop but I have doubts about change in the prosecutor's nature.

Alex, I have also been on the receiving end of this type of grilling here. I once admitted to carrying a fair amount of wood on the back of a small truck which led to some outrage. You're doing a fine job. Many people in this forum pride themselves on obtaining wood for free or cheap and are willing to work hard to get it. Trying to sell wood here will be about as successful as selling ice to the Eskimos but you've recognized this. Hopefully the person coming to get it will be as happy with the job and the wood as you will be to have it gone.
Most people here enjoy cutting wood and being cheap while spending thousands on the stuff to cut it. Go read the pellets thread and Alex is a man made to burn pellets or natural gas. Sounds like it's two different cultures.

If'n it were me I would call the sheriff's department since it was over $1,000 you might get him pinched pretty good. It also might stop this from happening again to someone else. I wasn't privy to your conversation, but if you had a verbal contract with a clear understanding between the two of you then it will hold up in court and he is liable for breaking the contract.

First of all I want to thank everyone for all the information you have provided over the past 2 days. I was a little bummed last night by some comments by a very small minority of people but after reading more comments today I am reassured in my belief that most people in the United States are still very good people. With people like MacAttack_ga, LuckyDozenFarm, Jrider, bert the turtle and so many more I can hold on to my slight optimism that my grandchildren will enjoy living in the US. Enough said about that.
Second I would like to give a little more history regarding the situation I ended up in.
Old_Soul, I have to admit that I did exaggerate a bit when I said I paid thousands of dollars for this job. The exact amount was $1,860. I wish you did live close by.
I didn't find this person on Craigs List. He had done a tree removal for my next door neighbor and he did a good, complete job. He showed up with 2 helpers and a big mulching machine. I didn't see his insurance certificate but he did say he was insured. I will say they did do a good job in cutting my tree down. The tree trunk is 15 feet from my house and there is a wooden deck next to it. There was no damage done to either one.
I brain stormed the problem with my wife and she said that maybe his phone got broken and he doesn't know my number (I didn't mention 411) or worse yet he got hurt on a job and is in the hospital. I sure hope not.
lView attachment 343760
So if you look at this picture of the "not so big tree" I'm curious as to how much you all
feel would be a reasonable amount for him to have charged? I live 10 miles south of our nations capital and things cost too much here.
Again in closing thank you very much for all the great posts. 73 as of a few moments ago. I have learned a lot about the tree business

$1860!! Send him over my way. I paid half that for a tree not 1/4 that size and not a hazard tree. I saw that tree and can't believe you got off that cheap. I have another tree to remove that wants to fall on he house if it blows down. Only about 14" diameter, single stem and very tall. I expect to pay over $1,000 for that one.

Harry K

Back