Homeowner needs help on choosing a stihl(250-290)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its funny you mention this. I read someone's review on the Poulan® Pro PP 5020 AV and was very interested that it scored such a high review. I would purchase this but my concern is what is the durability of this saw vs the durability of the clamshell stihl's. Im looking for years of use and haven't found any long term reviews on the Poulan Pro's.

and lets not forget dealer support....:msp_wink:

MS250's are only available through e-sales and NES with 18" bars now. As thats what most people were buying anyway.

For what this guy is describing I would say the MS250-18 would fill his need pretty well.

Also the newest green chain from Stihl is a very good cutting chain!

of these 2 saws, the 250 is the better purchace for him.

Good inputs, especially in regards to what is available.

I personally think 18" is too large for a 250 and use an 18" on my 361. I like the power more than the reach or front heavy feel. To the OP, to 18" will certainly not be overwhelming, but every bit counts. This is the same argument for the green chain... I agree is cuts much better than other safety chain, but it definitely has more drag through the cut than non safety chain.

Last edited:
The answers here, by experienced people, have taken into consideration your amount of projected cutting. That adds up to not a lot! Sorry but it's just that simple. So the estimated abuse you believe is going to happen just won't happen. Sorry. So if you know how to treat a chainsaw correctly and you know what you are doing, even a Poulan Pro will last you a hell of a long time! Just look at the threads where people expose themselves here (and let down their pants) and say "well I only have a homeowner 40cc class saw, but I have cut for the last ten years 10 chords per year, and now I have to replace because a tree fell onto my saw...". These threads are among CAD addicts not popular, but sadly the reality that many try to negate around here.

Good luck,

We have an 025 here that is the older version of the 250. For light duty firewood cutting it's a very good saw. My first saw was a 290 and it cut fine. It is heavy for the HP but regardless of what sawtroll says it will cut wood and do a decent job of it. For what you are describing I would start out with the ms250 and later on if you want a bigger one look at some of the pro saws. Generally more HP per pound and easier to work on but also more money.

Here are two of mine and the third one isn't pictured

DSC_9345.jpg

18 b/c is the way to go; a 18 b/c on a 250 is 16" out of machine as a 16" b/c would be 14" out of the saw

250 will run a 18 b/c just fine

Like what was said above is get another chain for the saw other than the chain that comes with it

The answers here, by experienced people, have taken into consideration your amount of projected cutting. That adds up to not a lot! Sorry but it's just that simple. So the estimated abuse you believe is going to happen just won't happen. Sorry. So if you know how to treat a chainsaw correctly and you know what you are doing, even a Poulan Pro will last you a hell of a long time! Just look at the threads where people expose themselves here (and let down their pants) and say "well I only have a homeowner 40cc class saw, but I have cut for the last ten years 10 chords per year, and now I have to replace because a tree fell onto my saw...". These threads are among CAD addicts not popular, but sadly the reality that many try to negate around here.

Good luck,

Thanks alot. I read alot of the older threads before joining and was a little hesitant posting because well I am not in the same league as most of you guys. Alot of you guys have a ton of knowledge on saws and I really appreciate the input. Some of your guys saws are well over 1000 dollars and that's quite a decent amount of money. I would rather spend that 1000 bucks on some gas for my boat and me put fishing 15 miles out all summer.

We have an 025 here that is the older version of the 250. For light duty firewood cutting it's a very good saw. My first saw was a 290 and it cut fine. It is heavy for the HP but regardless of what sawtroll says it will cut wood and do a decent job of it. For what you are describing I would start out with the ms250 and later on if you want a bigger one look at some of the pro saws. Generally more HP per pound and easier to work on but also more money.

I think I will probably end up with the 250. I believe if I find it to small for my needs I will either sell it or put a smaller bar on it and just use it as a limb saw.

Thanks alot. I read alot of the older threads before joining and was a little hesitant posting because well I am not in the same league as most of you guys. Alot of you guys have a ton of knowledge on saws and I really appreciate the input. Some of your guys saws are well over 1000 dollars and that's quite a decent amount of money. I would rather spend that 1000 bucks on some gas for my boat and me put fishing 15 miles out all summer.

I think I will probably end up with the 250. I believe if I find it to small for my needs I will either sell it or put a smaller bar on it and just use it as a limb saw.

Good point fishing is always better than work, however without my $1000 saw i wouldn't have a boat to even go fishing:laugh:

Just me personally. I wouldnt spend $300 on a new 250 45cc or $400 on a new 290 56.5cc. Basically same saw in plastic homeowner in 50cc can be had for $200 new in different brand. Of course there would be no dealer support, but I am one that isnt worried about that.

The plastic stihls are just way over priced IMHO.

Checked some pricing today. Our local dealer has the regular (non tool-less) MS250 with 18" bar for $299.00. Shop around cause there are still lots of these out there. His price on the MS290 is $389.00 with a free case. In your situation, I think you would find the MS250 sufficient and priced right. These are pretty light and dependable for general use.

Having had both models at one time over the last 35 years, I think the 250 is best set up with a 16" bar and the 290 with a 18" bar.
Both are excellent designs with literally hundreds of thousands of both models if you count their predecessors 025/029 out in the woods.
Yes you can buy cheaper big box store brands, but the dealer support and proven longevity of the Stihls speak volumes,same with equivleant Huskies, a year or two ago someone posted what a value a ryobi 1000/125.00 saw was, you sure don't here much about them now, I wonder how many are even still owned or in use by the all that bought them. You get what you pay for, my first 028 is now over 32 years old and stihl cuts like it was a year old. Plus your supporting an American worker.

If you have a good Husqvarna dealer nearby, check out the 445. It is in the same ball park as the MS250 and run about $309.00 with the addition of a decompression valve and primer bulb for easy starting, metal clutch cover, and very efficient x-torx engine. My Dad purchased one last year and it has become his favorite light firewood saw.

FWIW, my brother bought an MS250 a few years ago - he cuts 10-15 cord of firewood a year and he says it hasn't let him down yet. It's not his only saw, but it gets the most use because it's light and easy to start. It wears a 16" bar and seems very well balanced with that.

Is the 50 dollar increase worth the jump to the 290 or should I wait a while and save the 100 bucks and get the regular 250. I dont think I will ever cut a tree over 18 inches myself.

Both features really are just complicating the saw for no good reason, and increase the weight - avoid! :msp_wink:

The only exception is if you really need the start help.

Last edited:
NJ, ouch! since when is it illegal to use a wood stove?My family is in Ocean County and they all have wood stoves. (Vermont Casting) to be exact.
As to the saw, I would go with the MS 290. It is being discontinued and should be at a good price.It is one of Stihls best sellers.
As to NJ I grew up in Waretown. This is in Ocean County.Ever hear of "Barnegat Light"? My family runs an 85 foot fishing boat.
Good luck with your choice but an 18 bar on a MS 250 is pushing it, Ken

NJ, ouch! since when is it illegal to use a wood stove?My family is in Ocean County and they all have wood stoves. (Vermont Casting) to be exact.
As to the saw, I would go with the MS 290. It is being discontinued and should be at a good price.It is one of Stihls best sellers.
As to NJ I grew up in Waretown. This is in Ocean County.Ever hear of "Barnegat Light"? My family runs an 85 foot fishing boat.
Good luck with your choice but an 18 bar on a MS 250 is pushing it, Ken

Its not illegal to have a woodstove but they are illegal to have in a detached garage. The theory is that you will leave the garage unattended and a fire will start when something falls and lands on/near the woodstove.

Well I went to a different stihl dealer. This one was an elite dealer. I ended up buying the ms250. I held both the 290 and 250 and the weight felt about the same to me. I also played with some of the pro saws. For me the ms250 seemed more than sufficient for my needs. The dealer wouldn't lower the price off of msrp but gave me a file, a additional chain(yellow) and gave me a gallon of bar oil for 10 bucks. Overall I didn't think it was a bad deal.

I don't know if all stihl dealers did the but the guy then filled up the saw and took me outside and went over the saw for five minuted. Showed me how to start it and just general guidelines. I was happy with the purchase and plan on cutting some wood tomorrow. It also came with the 18 inch bar. He stated that he has done more warranty work on the 290 than the 250 but then again that is the number one selling saw so I don;t know the exact sales to repair figures. Once the warranty expires I plan to port the muffler but that not for two years since I bought the oil.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Its not illegal to have a woodstove but they are illegal to have in a detached garage. The theory is that you will leave the garage unattended and a fire will start when something falls and lands on/near the woodstove.

Well I went to a different stihl dealer. This one was an elite dealer. I ended up buying the ms250. I held both the 290 and 250 and the weight felt about the same to me. I also played with some of the pro saws. For me the ms250 seemed more than sufficient for my needs. The dealer wouldn't lower the price off of msrp but gave me a file, a additional chain(yellow) and gave me a gallon of bar oil for 10 bucks. Overall I didn't think it was a bad deal.

I don't know if all stihl dealers did the but the guy then filled up the saw and took me outside and went over the saw for five minuted. Showed me how to start it and just general guidelines. I was happy with the purchase and plan on cutting some wood tomorrow. It also came with the 18 inch bar. He stated that he has done more warranty work on the 290 than the 250 but then again that is the number one selling saw so I don;t know the exact sales to repair figures. Once the warranty expires I plan to port the muffler but that not for two years since I bought the oil.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Good purchase. That is the benefit of a dealer and a new Stihl saw.

Yeah that's $35 or more retail of stuff for $10. It's a good deal if the saw runs well and the dealer stands behind it.

Keep the chains sharp, the bar oil full and the fuel mix fresh (less than a month old and well shaken). Don't use boat motor 2-stroke oil.

Oh yeah, consider some personal protection equipment- chainsaw chaps and a face shield/helmet.

HF

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back