Homie fuel cap/primer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get one (or a couple) of the little Homelite fuel caps with the primer built in? I have a customer saw, and he is getting very irritated with me for taking so long. I have been looking for a while for this cap, and no can find. Thought about drilling the old one and putting a snap-in primer, but it will certainly leak fuel. Is it best to just eliminate the primer?

About 8 years ago, when we first moved to Marion County, I went to work at a feed store, which was also a Stihl dealer. They had been in business for 70 years or so. A customer came in, needing one of those caps, the feed store mgr. came in and asked me to order it.
He said, "Heck", get 10 of them,we sold a bunch of those little saws...."

When the order came in from Gardner, or dealer price on them was $19.95, suggested retail @ $25.

I went to the feed store mgr, showed him the invoice.

He was freaked out, the customer would never pay that!!!!!!!

I also reminded him about the ####### owner that would fire me for paying $200 for 10 gas caps, that no one would buy.

He mumbled a bit, and was obvious that we was going to toss me under the bus on this one.

Which doesn't really bother me much, as I always map out my exit plan on any new job I take. And this Stihl dealer owner hated me.....

He was bitter, being a feed store, that Stihl made him hire a Stihl tech. So I was at the top of his hate list from the get go.

But this problem was a Homelite one, and the dist. was Gardner, a dist. long known as being a bunch of arseholess...

I called the Gardner rep, mapped out my problem. He said that he would take the caps back, I would ship them, and would also pay a
25% restock fee.

I plead with him, telling him how the arsehole owner in Lebanon Ky would fire me if he saw how much money he was losing, he didn't seem
to mind.....

I asked Mr. Moody if he could send a Homelite price list to prevent this from happening again, and that was not possible, according to him.

I have had little use for Homelite or Gardner.inc since then, as well as the ####### dealer I worked for in Lebannon, Ky back then...

I just posted not to long ago about my little $10.00 find and found out that if you just plug the hose the saw starts just find. I`ll keep the hose on the cap in tell the primer goes bad or get tired of the hose every time I have to refuel it.

Anyone know where I can get one (or a couple) of the little Homelite fuel caps with the primer built in? I have a customer saw, and he is getting very irritated with me for taking so long. I have been looking for a while for this cap, and no can find. Thought about drilling the old one and putting a snap-in primer, but it will certainly leak fuel. Is it best to just eliminate the primer?

Shave off the bulb plastic flush with the cap and seal the cavity.

A lid of an early Weedeater works also.

Well blocking off the purge circuit will work fine as long as the tank is still vented.

I never explored it much, as I hated working on that crap....

Fine little saw as long as it runs good, but the customers do not want to spend much on a saw they bought in 1993 for $70........

I have rebuilt a few of those caps by carefully prying off the band that holds the bulb and using J-B Weld to hold the band on the new bulb -- I think I used a Briggs bulb.

Latest posts

Back