homie score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

371groundie

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
got a super XL 925 on the bench that the owner wants running. says once i run it ill want to buy it, we'll see. owner said it runs light a scalded dog, but not in 2-3 years.

i gave it a new plug, took the muffler off and checked the bore and slug, everything looked good. so i put some mix it in and pulled for about 5 minutes. i knew it would take awhile to get the fuel up through the line, but this wasnt right, so back to the bench.

opened up the filter box and its full of gas! the formerly rubber line that brings the gas from the tank had degraded to a pile of sludge.i could pinch it apart with just two fingers. so thats issue number one.

just out of curiosity, since ive never had a carb apart, i took the top plate of the carb. everything looked good, the rubber was flexible, but there was a hole that looked full of paint chips. i took some tweezers to get it out the crud and a small screen came with it! well i managed to screw up the screen. so now i need that screen, or a whole carb kit that i assume will have it.

just sharing my first 'old' saw revival, but any suggestions are welcome.

Some carb kits do not come with the screen.
Check before you buy the kit. You can run the saw
without the screen as long as you have a good fuel
filter in the tank, Otherwise a piece of crud can
hold the needle valve open and flood the saw.

Lee

i gave it a new plug... i put some mix it in and pulled for about 5 minutes. i knew it would take awhile to get the fuel up through the line...
Don't mess with all that on a neglected saw. 1st dump the old fuel out. Then check for spark. If ok, dump a bit of premix into the carb. intake. If it starts, check the fuel tank for crap and bad hose/filter. If ok, add fuel and repeat premix in carb. It should draw fuel from the tank within a start or three. If not, pull the carb. apart and replace soft innards and clean all passages well.

Last edited:
yea as long as you got a good gas filter in the tank you shouldn't have any problems. thats like my 041 stihl it don't have the screen inside the carb but it's got one heck of a filter in the gas tank tho.so just leave the screen out and put a filter on the end of the fuel line i the gas tank

The carb filter screen is the final line of defense against fuel-born crud. It's easier to keep the dirt out of the carburetor in the first place than it is to have to totally disassemble the carb body because some tiny piece of junk got lodged where it shouldn't have. Those paint chips you found were proof that the screen was doing its job. You may want to do a search for "welch plugs" & "check valves". Any OPE dealer will have those screens.

well i might have to get a cuple to go in mine. but i know i tok my carb apart and never seen one in it. but i bet someone took it out before i got it but i'll take and see if i can find a cuple and put one back in.but i know one thing if you get a lot of water in your gas from the gas station. the screen will stop up with that crud too. but i know alot of people want you to take them out too.but i think it works a lot better with them and without them. but i got to thinkin about what you said urbicide and i'm goin to find a cuple to go back in mine.

Some carb kits do not come with the screen.
Check before you buy the kit. You can run the saw
without the screen as long as you have a good fuel
filter in the tank, Otherwise a piece of crud can
hold the needle valve open and flood the saw.

Lee

Lee, I don't remember not seeing a screen in a genuine Tilliotson RK-23HS kit yet.

Seems HS's used 2 different sized holes for the screen, so I have seen the screen in the kit be wrong for a particular carb though.

Kinda a crapshoot which sceen you get in the kit far as I can tell.

i found a screen that should fit from a small engine shop. happened to be driving by and figured it couldnt hurt to ask. got to chatting with the guy and as it turns out he buys saws from craigslist and ebay to fix up and sell. aparently he has a soft spot for 625/630/670 jonnys. ended up there chatting for a half hour, then he didnt charge me for the screen.

definately going to put a filter in the tank. just gotta get the rubber fuel line replaced now.

Wow on yankin on that thing for 5 mins. I give it a dozen yanks and if something dosent start in that time something is wrong, and its back to the bench.

One of the first things i do when i get anything that dosent run for any reason and i dont know the background of it is clean the tank, disassemble the carb and clean it, and re-assemble. Ive been through lots of carbs so its not really a problem for me, and i am very often glad thats the first place i went.

Another side note, i had an 024 super that appeared to have an air leak, as it started and ran but when you turned it certain ways the rpm's dropped drastically. I did a pressure test and it checked out ok, but i disassembled the carb for the heck of it and found a little dirt on the screen and small woodchips behind the diaphram under the metal cover. I think this was the cause of the idle problems, as i feel those chips moved under there while running causing constriction of the diaphram. Cleaned it out and it ran like a champ.

ok so mabey i exagerate. i pulled long enough to give it a chance to pull fuel up from the tank.

no progress on saw. working on job application. should get her going this weekend.

You more man than me. I yank um twice and hand um to LP and tell him to commence to yanking. He love's me for that. I have to get him to crank about all of my big saws now.

Did I say 4.5 minutes? I meant thats how long I can watch that 6'3" boy of mine yank one before I have to get another beer!

I hear ya, the boy stopped by the other day and I had him pull a couple over for me. I wanted him to go put this 5200 in a piece of wood for me but you know how they are, he had someplace to go.

Dern shoulder just aint quite up to it yet to do that one myself.

Latest posts

Back