Homie Super EZ wont start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just given an older Homelite Super EZ Automatic because the older man who owned it told me it ran last month when he used it, now it won't start. "If you can get it to run, keep it, if it wont run throw it out...or do what ever you want with it."

It had been sitting outside in 3 days of rain (he told me) and who knows how much longer, however the Super XL I bought from him was sitting out with it, and it starts in 2 pulls, but thats another story.

I got the saw home, opened it up and cleaned out about 20 years of saw dust and chips that was soaked, I found 1 wire that was about half broken, patched that up, but it still wont run. It has no spark. I didn't have anymore time to play with it, I'm not sure if my model has points or a solid state ignition. I believe it has a solid state ignition, there is a little black "box" spaced very closely to the flywheel, with the plug wire coming off it. Is it possible that rain water could have damaged this saws ignition system? What else should/could I check?

Does it look similar to this? Except red, with black air filter?

If so, it is electronic.

Id take the coil off, clean it up real good, sand the magnets on the flywheel, sand the mounting points clean, and make sure the wires are good. Then put in a new plug.

Then Id unhook the kill switch and make sure the wire isnt grounded, and test it for spark. If it sparks, replace the switch, if not, it is likely a faulty coil.

Thanks, I'll Give it a try. Do you know of anyone who still has/has access to old homelite parts, if I need any?

The ones with the electronic ignition have a blue ignition coil.

Does your "little black box" have two wires leading out from it, one to the switch and another under the flywheel?

Since you don't describe the blue ignition coil I'm pretty sure you have a points type ignition. Remove the flywheel to access the points. Then file and regap them. Do a search for the process in doing that I and other members have described it at length in past posts.

Sitting out in the rain is a very common way to cause just enough corrosion on the contact points to loose spark.

UrbanLogger said:
Thanks, I'll Give it a try. Do you know of anyone who still has/has access to old homelite parts, if I need any?

Me :hmm3grin2orange:

My saw has electronic ignition, i was just trying to fix it. I need a new flywheel, mine is missing 1 fin. Does anyone have a new flywheel? Also, I need to know how to get my old fly wheel off, is their a special tool? I also can't get my sprocket off, it is in alright shape, but it must come off to get the engine out of the housing. I must remove the engine so i can re-seal it, I believe this is why it wouldn't start in the first place.

I need:
1 Full gasket kit for the entire engine (excluding internal carb gaskets, those are fine)

2 New or used flywheel in good shape

oh yeah, how the heck do I remove the sprocket? I have a spanner wrench that fits the sprocket hub, but how do I lock up the crank so it wont turn? I afraid if I leave a wrench on the nut on the flywheel I'll strip out the nut and/or stud for the flywheel.

:bang: :confused: :givebeer:

Back