Honda HRX217K6 camshaft failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, it is actually plastic with plastic lobes! That is something I haven't seen before.
Does it say what type of plastic? POM, PEI, Peek, nylon?

The text on the sheet metal part looks like textbook China.

I work with a lot of injection molding. I am surprised the parts passed dimensional inspection if there is a binding issue with the decompression shaft.

Apparently Briggs has been doing this for a while.
Looks like a blend of nylon and something else I’m not familiar with.
IMG_0291.jpeg

For stronger parts they sometimes add glass fibers and or other filaments. Plastics do not like high heat not that they melt ( although it happens ) but they get brittle and split or warp. with today's tech these could be made out of sintered material which likely would never fail course it would not be as cheap upfront but you would not have a high volume of fails under waranty which is more costly. If this is an oem defect then the qc is at fault which 9 times out 10 is the bug with Chi-com parts. I had a customer bring some parts in -chi-com mfg that were way out of spec. but the proto type run was spot on. very typical.

This is a defective cam I replaced recently. From what I’ve heard the parts were ejected from the mold too soon which caused them to become distorted. This results in the decompression mechanism sticking and thus, hard starting.
View attachment 1101804View attachment 1101805
I had the jammed starter cord issue and Honda sent my local service dealer the recall camshaft part to fix my six month old HRX 217, when I got the repaired mower back the engine stopped after 30 minutes. The engine was very hot, when I tried to pull the starter cord it jammed again and when I pulled hard the engine finally started and then shut off after a few seconds. Mower is back at the service department, I’m just wondering if there is another problem besides the camshaft with these engines?

<Looks like some sort of a nylon composite to me, not plastic. I had a Hinda GC OHC engine on my tiller grenade after 4 hours run time and Honda would not warrant it so off the boat anchor came and on went a HF Predator engine. That was 4 years ago and it still purrs like a kitten. I'm so done with Honda junk.

I think they forgot to put oil in after they repaired it. symptom described sounds like no oil and rod seized up.

Camshaft failure is the only problem I’ve seen so far. Have you checked oil level? Camshaft replacement requires the engine be completely torn down so it’s possible something got overlooked in the process.
Service tech documented diagnosis and repair as “carburetor was gummed up due to stale gas and spark plug was damaged, replaced spark plug, cleaned fuel line, gas tank and carburetor.”
What’s interesting is I have a two gallon gas can w/ Sta-Bil added to ensure gas is fresh and I use a filter when filling the gas tank. The good news is the mower seems to be working fine so far and starts on the first pull. I appreciate your feedback, it helped put my mind at ease.

I do not care about the claims for stabil and the like, run non ethanol fuel and you are better off ( if you can find in your local). I am knee deep in a Ford 8N- 4cylinder that has been ethanoled to death as well as rodent problems. didn't help sitting under a tarp for 2 years either.

I do not care about the claims for stabil and the like, run non ethanol fuel and you are better off ( if you can find in your local). I am knee deep in a Ford 8N- 4cylinder that has been ethanoled to death as well as rodent problems. didn't help sitting under a tarp for 2 years either.
Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back