Honda recoil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a troybilt 27 ton splitter with a Honda 160 engine, it has served me well for 5 years, but when I start it the recoil goes back really slow, almost like it is getting stuck on the way back, I would like to know if this is a common problem that I can remedy easily or is it on it's way out. I will probably take it off later, but wanted some input from you guys, this forum has been very helpful to me.
Thanks

The recoil parts are easy to change. If the engine runs sound, it is probably just the simple recoil setup that needs replacement.

Slow returning recoils on any small engine are ususally just gunked up dirty. Sometimes things are broken, but mostly I have seen just gunked up.

Slow returning recoils on any small engine are ususally just gunked up dirty. Sometimes things are broken, but mostly I have seen just gunked up.

Or if you're in a really cold climate the grease might be solidified.

Re-coil-oil

Just rush right over to you local Honda dealer and ask for a ounce of Special hondamatic recoil oil in 0W5 weight. :hmm3grin2orange:
Or just spray some silicone down it after you clean it up.

Back