Honey bees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the input and advice about my issue with the honey bee's. I do enjoy hearing different opinions and advice. I really enjoy most the people on this forum.
That is what the site is supposed to be about..............some see it a bit differently though. I have no idea why though.

The bees here are coming out in search of food and it will get tough if the weather stays the way it is. When it is 11 and then 65 then 18 then 55 it makes it tough on them.

This is part of 160 acres of pollinator ground planted to provide a food source for the bees. There is zero food source right now.

1679628561755.jpeg

That is what the site is supposed to be about..............some see it a bit differently though. I have no idea why though.

The bees here are coming out in search of food and it will get tough if the weather stays the way it is. When it is 11 and then 65 then 18 then 55 it makes it tough on them.

This is part of 160 acres of pollinator ground planted to provide a food source for the bees. There is zero food source right now.

View attachment 1068976
We have flowers out everywhere. The pollen is heavy right now. Everything is covered with it.

We have flowers out everywhere. The pollen is heavy right now. Everything is covered with it.
If you have a natural food source (pollen) then they should not pester you much. Now of course they do not belong in the walls of your house though.

We need @Old Mac Guy

Ken, Where are ya.

Maybe I will shoot him an email as I know he does not answer his phone.

Well I have exhausted every other solution and I'm now having to get rid of them myself. I put the shop vac hose at the entrance for 3 days and I got thousands of them that way. Since the weather cooled off to the mid 50's they are not as active. Tonight I made the entrance big enough to toss in a few bug bombs and that killed a bunch more. Then I took my chain saw and cut away most of the siding and exposed a huge section of the hive. It's from floor to ceiling and full of honey comb. Some of it looks like it may be old comb because it's almost black and no honey or larvey in it. I sprayed it down real good with Raid ant and roach killer. There is still a lot more hive I havent exposed yet cause I can hear them buzzing inside the wall. Gonna be a long process.

I truly wish Ken would chime in with some solid advice.

@Old Mac Guy where are you!!!!!!! The USA is losing bees at an alarming rate....Please help this gentleman. I will send him an email but who knows.......

I sent Ken an email. I have his phone and address but I have known him for years and he never answers the phone.

I truly wish Ken would chime in with some solid advice.

@Old Mac Guy where are you!!!!!!! The USA is losing bees at an alarming rate....Please help this gentleman. I will send him an email but who knows.......
It's to late for this hive. I have already done to much damage to it and soaked it with poison. At least what I have exposed already. I truly tried for 2 weeks to find someone to come take them but sadly I had no takers. I can still hear a lot of bees still in there where I havent exposed them yet. Whats left are gonna bee pissed off as soon as it worms back up.
The hive really came alive when I set the bug bombs off. They got very loud but because temps were cool and it was dark they didn't come out. I have a stethoscope so I can hear exactly where they are when I put it on the wall. All I know is there was thousands of bees in this hive. So far I have gotten at least a full 5 gallon bucket of them between the shop vac and the bug bombs.
I hated to do it but unless someone has an extra grand they can give me to hire someone to come get them. They gonna die.

It's to late for this hive. I have already done to much damage to it and soaked it with poison. At least what I have exposed already. I truly tried for 2 weeks to find someone to come take them but sadly I had no takers. I can still hear a lot of bees still in there where I havent exposed them yet. Whats left are gonna bee pissed off as soon as it worms back up.
The hive really came alive when I set the bug bombs off. They got very loud but because temps were cool and it was dark they didn't come out. I have a stethoscope so I can hear exactly where they are when I put it on the wall. All I know is there was thousands of bees in this hive. So far I have gotten at least a full 5 gallon bucket of them between the shop vac and the bug bombs.
I hated to do it but unless someone has an extra grand they can give me to hire someone to come get them. They gonna die.
I am in no way judging what you did. I kill every damned snake I see and folks judge me for that. I will not do the same. I might be wrong but I thought you were living in a rental trailer so the owner is responsible for teh issue. I have owned rental houses my entire life and yes I have to deal with the folks "animal" issues. I hate roaches when I go there and find a half eaten hot dog on the floor.

I am in no way judging what you did. I kill every damned snake I see and folks judge me for that. I will not do the same. I might be wrong but I thought you were living in a rental trailer so the owner is responsible for teh issue. I have owned rental houses my entire life and yes I have to deal with the folks "animal" issues. I hate roaches when I go there and find a half eaten hot dog on the floor.
No it's my late brothers double wide mobile. It was pretty chilly last night and the last cool snap of the spring. So it was a good time to start digging into the hive while they can't move very well. It's been worm and they have been very active already. I ope it stays cool for the next few days so I can get them all.

Hello BillG and sb47. I got your email, Bill. And now I've read all of this thread. I log into Arborsite 3-4 times a week and read all the posts in Chainsaws, but I never read the Homeowner Helper Forum.

I have nothing to add to this subject. Other members gave good advice earlier in the thread and I see now that you've started the actual removal of this swarm yourself, sb47. All I'll say is be careful. Sounds like these may be africanized bees and they can be very aggressive. Since you've begun poisoning the bees and comb, might as well finish that. Of course, the comb and honey are not edible now.

Good luck with finishing the extermination and removal of the swarm. Advice given earlier about removing all wax, sealing the site with shellac and making sure the new siding is sealed off bee-proof is good.

Hello BillG and sb47. I got your email, Bill. And now I've read all of this thread. I log into Arborsite 3-4 times a week and read all the posts in Chainsaws, but I never read the Homeowner Helper Forum.

I have nothing to add to this subject. Other members gave good advice earlier in the thread and I see now that you've started the actual removal of this swarm yourself, sb47. All I'll say is be careful. Sounds like these may be africanized bees and they can be very aggressive. Since you've begun poisoning the bees and comb, might as well finish that. Of course, the comb and honey are not edible now.

Good luck with finishing the extermination and removal of the swarm. Advice given earlier about removing all wax, sealing the site with shellac and making sure the new siding is sealed off bee-proof is good.
Thanks. I just checked on them and there are a few buzzing around this morning even though it's 55F. I beat on the inside wall and I can still hear more bees inside. There must be several layers of comb and whats is left are hiding between them. I'm gonna go to HDD today and get some more insecticide. When they go to bed tonight I'll take a scraper and start pealing back the hive. I may try the Dawn dish soap trick to kill whats left, before I buy insecticide.

Photo's?

There will be bees from other hives buzzing around for weeks investigating the smell.

Bees are very opportunistic and steal from other hives if they can.

When I did removals I would tell the homeowner to leave it open for a couple of weeks for other bees to steal (and thus clean up) the honey that drips all over the place.

Always the risk of another swarm moving in but the easiest way of cleaning up.

Unfortunately the poison you put in may condemn other hives around you.

Do make sure you clean up well and paint the surfaces after, I recommend shellac.

I may try the Dawn dish soap trick to kill whats left, before I buy insecticide.

Any dish soap mixed up with water and put into a pump-up sprayer works very well. There is no site contamination to worry about afterwards.

It actually works quicker than most insecticides, and grounds the flyers almost immediately. The soap gets into their spiracles and keeps them from breathing, in addition to gluing their wings together with surface tension/adhesion from the water. Funny how that works, since soap reduces the surface tension of water. Side benefit: soapy water doesn't poison the comb, either.

For about $85 to $100, you can buy a bee suit and be done with it in just one day.

https://www.super.com/shop/products...t2YLEEGTxGDAuxtLed5yiZGkFFFhWE0hLoyC_gErH2p7Q
https://www.amazon.com/Bees-Co-U73-...-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

All you really need is a decent veil. Normal "tightly sealed" clothes will keep you safe.
https://guardianbeeapparel.com/shop/round-replacement-veil/

Any dish soap mixed up with water and put into a pump-up sprayer works very well. There is no site contamination to worry about afterwards.

It actually works quicker than most insecticides, and grounds the flyers almost immediately. The soap gets into their spiracles and keeps them from breathing, in addition to gluing their wings together with surface tension/adhesion from the water. Funny how that works, since soap reduces the surface tension of water. Side benefit: soapy water doesn't poison the comb, either.

For about $85 to $100, you can buy a bee suit and be done with it in just one day.

https://www.super.com/shop/products...t2YLEEGTxGDAuxtLed5yiZGkFFFhWE0hLoyC_gErH2p7Q
https://www.amazon.com/Bees-Co-U73-...-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

All you really need is a decent veil. Normal "tightly sealed" clothes will keep you safe.
https://guardianbeeapparel.com/shop/round-replacement-veil/
I put a coat (with a hoodie) on with loose double layered pants and gloves. I have an old dip net that works for a hood.

From experience I will share the following. I work d honey bees for six years. This is real world from working a hive with all the gear, smoker, and knowledge. Bees were a Russian carnelian hybrid With a gentle queen. I will spare all of you the story

When you are doing the work, try not to be all alone. If you get stung enough anaphylactic reaction is common.

If you get stung do not punch stinger and venom sack, scrape it at skin. If you pinch you will get the venom for sure. Bees can only sting once venom sack stays with stinger

If you get stung multiple times go to the urgent care or emergency room. They can give you kennelog to help.

Be careful. You might also think about having an epi pen at hand.

Do not be complacent.

Plastic landscape sheeting with some good tape to seal the area off. Any small engine with a hose on it, pump in the carbon monoxide for a couple of hours. Kill. Done it in trees several times. Gets any rodents also.

Hello Ken,

I am happy to see you weigh in. I hope all is well in your area, The 160 acres of pollinator ground up here looks just as bad as it did last spring. It is sad as I had great hopes for it but when the feds tell you how to manage things many things get messed up. The bees are suffering because of it, typical federal BS

I finally got them all and the comb as well. It was strange because there was no honey in the comb at all. Just larva and no honey. I think they were Africanized bees. I got a whole wheelbarrow full of comb. I painted the wood and got the siding replaced and fixed it where they can't get back in.

Honey storage is usually above the brood area. Any chance they made it up into the attic/roof area?

Back