horizontal only vs verticle and horizontal log splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratherbnorth

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:bowdown: Ok, here I go, this is my first post. I have been reading for about a month, and decided to jump in. One question I have regarding log splitters is: What is more important when using one, having the horizontal option where the wedge is stationary, and the wood is pushed out of the way while it is being split (and you can put a 4 way wedge on it), or having the wedge be the move part, and being able to split both horizontal and vertical? Appreciate all the feedback, as I am going to be buying a log splitter soon, and can't decide. Thanks for any help you can give me.

:bowdown:

If you can pick and choose what you're going to split then going vertical isn't that important and I've always found it to be more inconvenient and hard on the back. On the other hand, if you have big, big rounds then going vertical can save you from back strain or other injuries.
Phil

Thanks

Thanks Phil ....I do have a Kubota with a front end loader that I thought I would use to roll the larger pieces into, then lift them to the level of the splitter, and roll them on....split them... and save the back... All the wood is on my own property, so as I harvest, there would be some large pieces, but I think the tractor would help with that...:newbie:

Brent

I used a friends horizontal only type for while, then made sure whatever I bought was Vert/Horiz, vertical for the stuff I unable to safely lift, and horizontal because it's more efficient.

Having the wedge on the end means beating off the occasional tough chunk, whereas if the wedge is on the shaft, if a piece sticks, then it gets removed on the reverse stroke by stops designed for the purpose.

OK, are there any vertical and horizontal splitters that have a four way wedge? I think if I go with the dual system, I could deal with the wood not sliding off the end (unless it gets stuck) if I could have a four way wedge.. anyone have or use one?

I've got a 35 ton huskee that goes both ways.

almost never use horizontal. doing lots of larger logs...

hydraulic lift for horizontal splits is da bomb, but expensive.

look at nothern tools 37ton four way splitters

do a search... lots of threads on this

I bought a used horizontal splitter a long time ago, used it for many a year. Was younger and didn't mind lifting the logs up and bending over.

Now fast forward to 2007, not as young, back is not as good and if I had the choice which I did, I would buy a vertical and horizontal splitter in a heart beat.

Another thing about using your tractor, unless you have someone to run it with you working the splitter, wont you have to get up and down off the tractor?

Shipper

I have the Brave 22ton verticle/horizontal and i love it. I hook it up to my polaris 700 and get after it. After splitting about 50 cords with this machine I realize this is one of the best investments I have ever made. If you have big rounds to split being able to tip it up and roll the rounds on saves on the chiropractic bills.

My boss in high school had a vertical only and I was never fond of it at all. It was handy on the biggest stuff, but for 90% of the work it was just a pain to wrestle around on the ground.

Dad's is a horizontal-only splitter, but he built a mechanism into it by which it raises and lowers itself (uses a rod hooked to the ram to pivot the rear axle and has a sliding post in the front-I'd need a picture for any description to make sense). That works out pretty handy, as you can lay it right down almost completely on the ground for big stuff. Then use something for a ramp and a peavey or two to roll logs up onto the beam (or a tractor and loader if you'd prefer).

When doing smaller stuff, you can raise the beam up to a comfortable working height so you don't have to bend over.

that sounds like a handy setup. sure wish you had a few pic's...

but functionally same as vertical/horizontal units. that's the nice part of having both. you get to pick what works best.

main drawback is having wedge attached to ram, making it more difficult to attach a fourway.

seems logs lifts for horizontal splitters are only available on higher priced splitters.

My boss in high school had a vertical only and I was never fond of it at all. It was handy on the biggest stuff, but for 90% of the work it was just a pain to wrestle around on the ground.

Dad's is a horizontal-only splitter, but he built a mechanism into it by which it raises and lowers itself (uses a rod hooked to the ram to pivot the rear axle and has a sliding post in the front-I'd need a picture for any description to make sense). That works out pretty handy, as you can lay it right down almost completely on the ground for big stuff. Then use something for a ramp and a peavey or two to roll logs up onto the beam (or a tractor and loader if you'd prefer).

When doing smaller stuff, you can raise the beam up to a comfortable working height so you don't have to bend over.

Sounds like I should go with the combination V and H splitter. I wonder if anyone has info on which would be better the Husky you can get at TSC, or the Brave splitter.... any significant differences? Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Back