Hours on a machine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyonbc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been spending a fair amount of time on the internet looking at used chippers.

A question; keeps jumping into to my head...

Now i know this more or less boils down to a case by case judgement...and how the machine is...i.e. shape, how it was treated etc. etc.

My question is how many hours is too many hours...on a chipper. I seen a lot with 800, 1200, 3500...how many is just to many. Is there a number, to where you should start to worry.

Let me relate it in a way might be better understood. Looking at a F 150 with 189,000 miles...its to be excepted the engine has "probably" seen its better days and its not a just broken in engine.

Does this make sense.

Thanks
Canyon

We used to work 7-12's at the shipyard & we were tired. Just check to see if the hour meter is brand new, replaced , disconnected or original. Gut feelings, a vivid imagination & your intuition will tell you. Pull the dip-stick, check the air filter. Run it ( under a load ) check for blow-by. Check bearings on disc. Make sure bolt holes for knives aren't warbeled . Also check starter, if dragging at start, probably has a lot of hours. Run it over to a good mechanic , pay him to check the mechanicals. Pay me now or pay me ----- !!!

Back