How about a woodspitter that can do 60 MPH on the highway?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curlycherry1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It took me a while to find a photo of this beast we built. The issue was getting a stable platform to build a massive woodsplitter onto, and have a big honking gas powered yet air cooled motor to drive the mother of all hydraulic pumps. The answer our welder friend came up with was a VW Bug!

I got him a bug with the front end that had been crunched and he built a bracket to mount the pump on the back of the motor and attach it to the main shaft. I can't remember how he did that but the pump stuck out through a hole in the car's engine hood. The tank for the oil was put intot he backseat area. The beam was cut into the dashboard so that most of it was in the passenger's seat area. Only the splitting part of the beam stuck out beyond the windshield.

The cylinder was 3" center, 7" outer cylinder and it used a lot of oil! The pump was a big monster that was common from some piece of Cat equipment. My uncle worked at Cat as the parts guy and so he said the pump was one that would move a lot of oil and was common and thus fairly cheap. It was ~8" diameter and weighed a ton.

The splitter worked great. Just drive it to where you wanted to split wood, shift it into neutral, pull a cable that would rev the engine rpms up a bit and then get out and split away. We used it for a while but then it caught on fire and burned up one night. The cycle was lightning fast (~4 seconds) and absolutely nothing stopped that ram. We used scare people by putting logs in sideways and having it shatter them into tiny pieces.

Here is the only pic I can find of it. Sorry for the quality but this was back in the days of Polorids in the mid 1970s.

VWWoodsplitter.jpg

hahaha, rep your way

that's some mad scientist stuff right there..

a 3" ram with an 8" bore? holy jesus, i thought my 7" with a 6.5" ram was overkill......if that is a 3" i'm surprised you didn't bend the ram...

i had a 6" bore with a 2.5 or 2.75? not sure, anyways, the cyliner was fully retracted, and it bent while inside the case....cylinders are at their strongest when 1/2 extended....

anyways, thx for sharing. funny stuff.

hello

I've got a woodsplitter that dose 70 mph and self load the truck i'll put pics up and you can tell me what you think.

its a fuel tank .untill i get a better one. theres been changes to the machine, the conveyor kept breaking now its a belt conveyor. its a auto cycle you put wood onto the splitter and hit the button the gett the next pice of wood, simple!

I've looked all over for guys that build wood splitter but none did what i need to do. i nomaly cut in heavy wooded areas and i didnot want to drag a splitter around so now i pull it to the property and drive it in . also we spent a lot of time splitting then loading. now it splits 8 way and falls into the truck ! now I spend more time cutting and driving wood to my house insted of picking up pices and loading. but thats just me , i'm all a bout lazy and this is my short cut. i dont spell very good ethier. sorry

Looks like something from the movie road warrior. I would like to borrow it put it in the drive way and watch my wife's expression when she came home, also to drop the kids off at school with.

Back