How are you guys removing burrs off of freshly sharpened chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Nowell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Sometimes I have to aggressively sharpen a tooth cause of damage or I want to change the angle and I get a burr on the outer edge and top plate.
many trick to removing those without using your finger nail?
I usually just ignore it but If There’s a way to remove it let me know

Well that’s all I need to know. I recently figured they might impede the cut, but if it’s not a problem then I’ll leave it. Always looking to fine tune things is all.

I remove the burrs whether I hand file or grind. With a handfile, I just lift the handle end up the file up, leaving the file in the tooth, and spin the file. I am not applying pressure on the file, just spinning it enough to knock off the burr. When using the grinder, I go back over every tooth with a file, just spinning the file in the tooth. Just seems to keep the chain sharp longer.

If you are any good at all at hand filing you can file from the outside inward but you do have to be good at filing.:yes:
Doesn't that put the burr on the inside? Much harder to remove it there. I have to get one of the kids down the street with small fingers.:laugh:

Doesn't that put the burr on the inside? Much harder to remove it there. I have to get one of the kids down the street with small fingers.:laugh:

No it does not, the burr one sees on chain is the chrome sort of rolling back from the cutting edge, there is just about no burr if filed from out inward, the little bit there does not dull the cutting edge as it is swept back away from the cutting edge. For the real anal guys its best to use one of those diamond dust coated burrs in a dremel like tool to finish a sharpening job, they polish the cutter to a razor edge if that matters.

No it does not, the burr one sees on chain is the chrome sort of rolling back from the cutting edge, there is just about no burr if filed from out inward, the little bit there does not dull the cutting edge as it is swept back away from the cutting edge. For the real anal guys its best to use one of those diamond dust coated burrs in a dremel like tool to finish a sharpening job, they polish the cutter to a razor edge if that matters.
Right - was just kidding.

Latest posts

Back