How big of a saw for Alaska?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cottonwood/aspen/poplar-all fall in the category or Gopher wood, or more correctly "go-fer" wood- if it is seasoned, when you burn it, you get some and go fer more, because it burns like paper! If green or unseasoned, it heats poorly- till the creosote builds up enough to have a good chimney fire!

Thanks you! I'm not bringing anything to sell. The reason I posted is to see if I could leave them behind. No use bringing the big saws if the smaller ones is all I need

You ate welcome to "store" them over here if you like. I'll take good care of them for you. Should you ever move back, you'll be all set.

Had to try

I lived in Anchorage & plan on going back in a couple years to retire. There's PLENTY firewood available. As said, trees aren't all that large. I had a small Solo with 18" bar while I was there & it cut everything I wanted. Birch burns nice, especially if it's from more inland and slow growth. Regardless, outside of the city in any direction you have nothing but forest &/or mountains.

Since we seem to have answered Ted's question (just not definitively) I'll risk thread hijacking since my follow-up question is sort of related...

What's the story w/ cottonwood for burning? For the most part, around here everyone ignores the stuff; whereas a felled spruce or birch is pounced on, cottonwood is often left to rot.
I'll have the opportunity to cut some this year; will I be wasting my time?
Is it just some Alaskan prejudice (like how we generally feel about catching humpies), or does our cottonwood really burn that poorly?

Burning paper would make more heat and last about the same amount of time in the stove. I find it really hard to get it dry unless it is stacked in under cover so it don`t get wet from the rain or snow.
When it does dry out it becomes walking wood, cause like what was already posted, you need to keep walking between the woodpile and the stove to keep some in there burning. Doing this keeps you warmer than the fire will. The stuff burns down to a fluffy white ash, no coals left to get a fire really hot.

Just found out I need to be there by the first week in May. Thanks for all of the replies! Much appreciated

Loggers call me all the time wanting to buy my Mac 797's for a $1000.00 even last week..not a chance not sure where they are in AK but by the sound of getting firewood out of rivers or driftwood might be rough keeping warm if it's been picked through cuz everyone in AK heats with wood...bring whiskey:D

Yea the first trip I will. Im in Sandpoint Idaho so it will probably be right up through BC Canada. I need to map quest it

Early spring won`t be too bad but late summer the perma frost melts and the roads become real humpy in several places. Late fall and winter the trip over route 97 from Fort Nelson over the Summit to Toad river is an eyeopener. I prefer the trip from Prince George up the #37 ( Cassair hwy) mid summer to early fall.

Late fall and winter the trip over route 97 from Fort Nelson over the Summit to Toad river is an eyeopener. I prefer the trip from Prince George up the #37 ( Cassair hwy) mid summer to early fall.

Eye opener as in ass biting the seat or scenic beauty? :msp_confused::msp_biggrin:

Early spring won`t be too bad but late summer the perma frost melts and the roads become real humpy in several places. Late fall and winter the trip over route 97 from Fort Nelson over the Summit to Toad river is an eyeopener. I prefer the trip from Prince George up the #37 ( Cassair hwy) mid summer to early fall.

Lol that is the exact way I ended up going. Started snowing like hell in Fort Nelson. I was driving a 2 wheel drive Ford pickup. I made it OK but did get my truck broken into at Toad River Lodge. Left from there with the snow about a foot deep. It was a pain in the butt drive.

There is plenty of smallish black spruce and a fair bit of smallish hardwood just on the outskirts of Anchorage inland in Wasillia and Palmer and a fair distance out toward the coast toward Seward. A 50cc chainsaw would cut anything you come across in that area.

That's funny as hell right there. You'll find out right quick that Alaska is only 30 minutes away by air from the Occupied Territory of Los Anchorage. Seriously. Anchorage is just another third world shythole compared to everywhere else.

When I drove up there a couple years back I was tired when I got to Hundred Mile House

Latest posts

Back