How big of splitter for 6 or 8 way wedge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggenius29

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As a rule of thumb, how many ton splitter do you need to be able to run a 6 way or even a 8 way wedge?

Right now I run a 4 way and on bigger wood I still have to split each piece again.

I dont know how many tons my splitter is. It is a home made unit. It has a 8hp engine with a 16gpm 2 stage pump with a 5 1/2" x 32" cylinder.

Someday when I have the coin I am going to pick up a 28GPM 2 stage pump and put on a 18hp vangard motor on it that I have laying around.

As a rule of thumb, how many ton splitter do you need to be able to run a 6 way or even a 8 way wedge?

Right now I run a 4 way and on bigger wood I still have to split each piece again.

I dont know how many tons my splitter is. It is a home made unit. It has a 8hp engine with a 16gpm 2 stage pump with a 5 1/2" x 32" cylinder.

Someday when I have the coin I am going to pick up a 28GPM 2 stage pump and put on a 18hp vangard motor on it that I have laying around.
depends on the wood? all I split is softwood So I would say 25 ton as my 15 ton will Split anything I have ever put on it,with a single wedge that is.

With huge pieces the 6 way doesn't make sense esp. with stringy wood as you will get some pieces stuck on the wedges and getting them off may take some serious time. There is a perfect size for 6 way and if you could take home or order (tractor trailer loads of wood's wood) just that size then production increase would be boggling.

6 - 8

I am building another splitter, what are the best 6 - 8 wedges, or design.

What are some common drawbacks, (ie starting the second split too soon)

My brother runs a 6 way sometimes on his Timberwolf processor. Check out their web site and watch the video for how well their's works. He has no complaints after about 8 or so years of heavy use (thousands of cords per year).

The big thing that is important is that you still want a single way splitter and being able to "fly" the 4 way or 6 way out of the splitting zone and use just the single is a big bonus. Again, check out the Timberwolf site for how to do this.

My brother runs a 6 way sometimes on his Timberwolf processor. Check out their web site and watch the video for how well their's works. He has no complaints after about 8 or so years of heavy use (thousands of cords per year).

The big thing that is important is that you still want a single way splitter and being able to "fly" the 4 way or 6 way out of the splitting zone and use just the single is a big bonus. Again, check out the Timberwolf site for how to do this.

The prob with the 6 way wedge... common sense would tell you, is that the middle split of the 6 pieces is a compartment and a piece can go thru to start and then following the grain, it can increase in size...causing it to become STUCK in the compartment. Very little vid of the 6 way on the TWolf site. We rarely use ours because you need a perfect size log every time for this to be useful. 6 Way was real expensive too. Guess we could use it for a boat anchor :)

Six Way Log Splitter, Timber wolf, George Iekel - YouTube

Like stated above, a 6 way can be more of a pain than an asset. I only use my 6 way on the "right" wood. I use the 4 way all the time. I don't get a lot of stringy wood. By doing the math my splitter is only about 15 tons. To date I have only come up against one piece of maple butt that I could not split down the middle, I had to chip away at it around the edges to work it down.

Is that the bore size of your cylinder or the overall size?
Here is a calculator. Hydraulic Cylinder Calculator

Holy zombie thread batman!!!

I sure hope that guy didn't have to wait four years just to get that answered!:msp_wink:

Mr. HE:cool:

Ya never know, he may have been waiting. :D

Like the Chuckee Cheese commercials where the kid ages into an old man while waiting for his pizza at the other pizza place.:laugh:

Mr. HE:cool:

A spammer brought it up from the dead trying to sell his product but he is gone now.
His 6 way wedge design looked like crap anyways.

I always liked you better than genius. :D

when will you guys learn, it isnt the volume of oil that gives you the tonnage on your splitters, its the pressure !!!!, a little pump with only 1 gph, but 5000psi, will make a larger tonnage than a 25gph pump with 2000psi on the same dia ram, yes it will be slow, but it will split with more force.

Latest posts

Back