How can people be soooo low????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truck4

Head Pee On
Reaction score
We have had a real cold snap come thru here, talking -2 with wind chills of -15 which is unheard of around here, water lines freezing and breaking, even dad had one freeze and break and he said that after 42 yrs in that house he has never had a line inside freeze up. Anyway been selling alot of wood last few days and kept my prices the same when I know others jacked theirs up, sooo I get a call from and elderly lady saying she is almost out of wood and needed some more, said she could only afford about a 1/4 cord, told her I would deliver and stack it for $75.00 (50 for the wood and 25 for rest as it was about 25 miles one way) so I load up and even threw alittle extra in, get there and she says that is too much:confused:, she explains that the last POS only brought about half that telling her it was a 1/4 cord and charged her $125 to just dump it in her driveway, I explained to her that what I had loaded was just a tad over a 1/4 (but being elderly wanted to make sure she had enough did not tell her that) just really burned me that so low life POS would take advantage of a elderly couple and a retired POW to boot, I asked for the name and number of the guy but she just smiled and said that is ok, "my husband would be calling him"

It also burns my ass when some dirt bag screws over some older folks. Thats the problem with firewood the amount in a pile is deceptive.

well in my life as well with others i see what goes around comes around and he will get his just deserts , I have to say u know the elderly took care of us at one time so we should take care of them its a full circle . I hope he does get what he deserves

I am assuming too much wood, not too expensive???

A cord around here goes for 160-200, 200 for oak.

Wish I could send ya a semi load, that is too friggin cold!!!!

the problem is eventually enough people are going to complain about getting ripped off and guess who is going to step in and "regulate" fire wood.......the dreaded government.

all because some jerk-offs want to make a quick buck.

Good for you! Looks like you probably earned a new loyal customer. A good reputation can be a very valuable asset. The other guy will reap his rewards sooner than you think.

It also burns my ass when some dirt bag screws over some older folks. Thats the problem with firewood the amount in a pile is deceptive.

That is why I stack mine in the bed like it should be done not just thrown in, when I get to were Im going I always!! ask them to come out and look at it to make sure that is what they want and are happy with it before unloading, and I always make sure that those who do not know what a cord, half etc is to explain to them how much it is and that they understand it. I also never just pile it when I unload it unless they tell me its ok to (think a nice stacked rows looks good for them) I to hope her husband calls the dirt bag and gives him an ear full, just wish I had been aware of that before I headed out as I would have thrown even alittle more extra in, mom and dad always thaught me to mind and help take care of my elders.....

I am assuming too much wood, not too expensive???

A cord around here goes for 160-200, 200 for oak.

Wish I could send ya a semi load, that is too friggin cold!!!!

Wish you could send me a few simis of oak, around here for good hard wood you can get ~250 a cord (not delivered) not that we are jacking up the price its just hard to get good!!! hardwoods in around here

Maybe the prior seller didn't know what a real cord of wood is...or maybe thinks a face cord is a cord. It's no excuse though, if you are going to be in the business, then you are supposed to know.

Maybe the prior seller didn't know what a real cord of wood is...or maybe thinks a face cord is a cord. It's no excuse though, if you are going to be in the business, then you are supposed to know.

I always try and temper my feelings about these kind of stories and remind myself that there is almost always two sides to a story.

Truck4,
You must have been in a heatwave. We had a temp of -27 one morning in Cloudcroft. Thankfully the wind wasn't blowing then.
Where you at?

Andy

Andy
Im south of Las Cruces just out side of El Paso, saw on the news were you guys up there were getting hit pretty hard too, I know about the cold up that way my BIL's family has a ranch outside of Mayhill, was just up that way back in Nov. on a deer hunt

the problem is eventually enough people are going to complain about getting ripped off and guess who is going to step in and "regulate" fire wood.......the dreaded government.

all because some jerk-offs want to make a quick buck.

Sad but true.

I've been where the OP has been way too much only because of trying to be honest and generous with my loads. It's one of the "Do unto others" things you know. I used think that most other firewood sellers around here just didn't know what a cord was but now I'm really starting to believe that they're just ripping people off. I'm a firm believer in what comes around goes around.

Back