How common is this and would you pay more to avoid it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you willing to pay a little extra for UPS/Fedex shipping instead of USPS

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
I bought a carb from cgraham. He shipped it USPS on Friday, I had it on Monday.

None of them are perfect. I've had good and bad with all 3.

Anything out of my website is priority. EBay I do first class if it's significantly cheaper and I listed it as free shipping.

Shipping north of the border is only viable with USPS, I've been greased by US on brokerage fees (used $300 fish finder, $100 in brokerage fees).

I will not order from the states if they won't ship it via USPS.
You are correct on that. When shipping internationally, I only ship USPS Priority International. I've never had a problem there.

USPS I've never had a major problem except 1 day slower. I have been at the USPS and the ups dude shows up with a bunch of package s to ship???!!!???

WTH. I know the ups driver very well from business delivery, he brings a lot of my saw stuff and is himself an avid Sawyer, cool dude.

I have just found that UPS is more expensive for me most of the time.

Fed ex lost a concrete saw and never paid up, uninsured, never do that again.

The vast majority of shipments get delivered in a timely fashion but then there are the ones like I posted and Chris that take forever on every single thing that goes his way.

I'm just curious if it's worth the hassle and added expense to go FedEx or UPS. Upgrading to a better website package is required to make the change. Then there is the actual added expense of shipping FedEx over USPS. Up to about 5lbs FedEx is double the price for most locations. Above 5lbs and FedEx is competitive or in some cases cheaper especially to the west coast.

I had a critical shipment of some literature sent from PA to MI so it would be there for a presentation. It wasn't there. Finally the "priority" mail arrived. After 9 days... Some of the two day shipments have been taking 4 to 5 recently for me.
What bothers me is the "lying" when the USPS is telling you out of one side of their mouth it will take x amount but it doesn't really matter how long it takes because there's no repercussions on their end if it doesn't make it in that time frame. I still use them because it's convenient for me in this rural area.

is it just me spike but are you basing this slow shipping off the couple of weeks before xmas .thats the busiest time of tye year ofcourse there going to be slow . im not saying it dosent happen any other time .but cant really base slow shipping in December kinda unfair .

If you set up a business account the rates get much better. I believe our FedEx account at the shop saves a good 20-30% off standard rate.

the stupid thing is anywhere in the states shipping to me takes about a week to get to me except TN and southeast from there. takes a month.

Shipping north of the border is only viable with USPS, I've been greased by UPS on brokerage fees (used $300 fish finder, $100 in brokerage fees).

I will not order from the states if they won't ship it via USPS.

Edit: getting used to the new phone

at least they greased you first lol never use DHL. those guys will grease you but the grease will be mixed with course grit sand!

Unless this was a small package, I find FedEx to be cheaper than either USPS or UPS. I only use USPS for Priority on small packages. The USPS recently lost a saw that was headed my way and was insured for $1,300!
I had a bar lost in the mail and filed for the insurance and never heard from them. I tried to check on it online and they wouldn't let me log in to their website..

Yes because FexEx/UPS delivers to the door while USPS doesn't (have to go to the post office and get it). Though they are normally WAY WAY more expensive. Like I had 2 splitter knives come from BlockBuster, they shipped it UPS instead of flatrate USPS. Cost me almost $80 vs $15.

Here in the UK I find UPS to be the best parcel service by a mile , most of the company's here don't give a damn about service or looking after the parcels . I've seen guys open the back of the van and launch parcels straight in , then walk all over them . UPS for me every time , quality costs .

Given the choice, my first choice would be UPS. I have to give USPS some credit, after I spoke to the local postmaster, it made it from Kearny, NJ to my door step in a couple of days.

No, I prefer using USPS because I get much better service and results through USPS.

1) I just ordered a new saw from Bailey's on a Thursday. The saw shipped UPS. The following Sunday, I realized I needed a tool for the incoming saw, so I ordered that from Bailey's as well. The tool shipped USPS. USPS delivered the tool to me 2 days ago. Ordered on Sunday evening, delivered Tuesday afternoon Cali to Ohio. UPS isn't going to deliver the saw for another 5 days, making it over 10 days in transit from Cali to Ohio.

2) UPS and FedEx drivers suck here. Often mark a package as delivered but don't actually drop it off for another day or two. Both park on the road, walk in, toss package onto the cement in front of the door in plain view of the road regardless of weather. Don't ring the bell, don't knock, just vanish. Sometimes they don't even knock or ring before they stick the missed package notice on the door if I have to sign for it. USPS carrier will drive into the driveway because I've told him it'll set off the driveway alarm and then raise holy hell at the door when he drops stuff off even if I don't need to sign for it because I've told him that I'm often working in the shop in the back of the house with hearing protection on and can't hear a reasonable knock at the door. If the weather's bad, he always bags it and then puts it under or on something as required to keep it out of the weather. He never leaves stuff in plain sight of the road. He's actually forgotten something and then come back at the end of his shift to make sure I got it that day. If the weather's good and I'm out working when he tries to drop something off, he'll lay on the horn a few times until I come out of the woods to make sure he doesn't miss me. I'm not actually sure how he can tell when I'm outside, but he's never wrong so far.

3) I have the lowest rate of lost, damaged, or delayed packages when using USPS to ship to my customers.

Back