How common is this and would you pay more to avoid it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you willing to pay a little extra for UPS/Fedex shipping instead of USPS

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just resurrected our old Fedex account because a customer in France wanted his stuff shipped Fedex. It got there quick, but no quicker than USPS Express and it cost more. I will use both and not worry.

After USPS had new USG grinder permanently lost or stolen enroute in New Jersey and then jacked the seller out of insurance. Sorry but burned. Never again. On similar thread, poster advised to cover up box that says 'Stihl'

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

9 months after i originally posted this and we are still shipping the majority of packages USPS except for saws. Still having about the same experiences which is overall pretty good for the ones i hear about......maybe 1 in 100 shipments have issues and take longer than expected with very few lost/damaged shipments. I think to date we have only had 4-5 lost/damaged packages so I cant really complain.

After USPS had new USG grinder permanently lost or stolen enroute in New Jersey and then jacked the seller out of insurance. Sorry but burned. Never again. On similar thread, poster advised to cover up box that says 'Stihl'

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
It is best to make the box as plain as possible. I use a magic marker to cover over writing that might hint to what's inside.

As far as paying more for a different service, I'm afraid it's a crap shoot with the delivery services, I've heard stories about all of them. FedEx and UPS have better ratings here but FedEx is the carrier that threw my new sandblaster in the driveway, bending the corners of it so it leaked and I was never able to get it to not leak. The only problem(s) I've had with USPS is an occasional lost bar that somehow came out of the box, which I still question. I filed an action with USPS to no avail..

I ship all saws/equipment via FedEx. I can schedule a delivery and they come right to the house. We have a gate and FedEx/UPS will deliver but USPS will not. I have signed two papers with USPS stating that it is ok to leave packages at the gate, but they still don't do it.

A USPS box from ebay came to me with a lot of what seemed to be hydraulic fluid all over the box. Nothing inside the box was damaged. Our carrier said the shipment that and everything else that came to our post office that day had hydraulic fluid on it. And it wasn't the first time this year that's happened to them.

I've had problems with all of them... but the majority of the time, they all deliver on time as promised.

As for myself, shipping items... I'll use USPS flat-rate boxes if the items are heavy or going long-distance (east-to-west coast). I avoid UPS because they always had the worst prices. I used FedEx more often a couple of years ago, but their prices aren't that good and they charge a residential fee now...

Back