How dead is too dead?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Maybe kind of a newb question but how dead is too dead to spur climb, say on a crane removal, where you wouldn't have to worry about the top swaying the tree as much? Are there any general rules or basically just if your spurs stick? Maybe like using the claw of a hammer to see how far it is rotted through? I have heard of that, and i know different trees are different, like locusts are hard to tell since they rot inside out, but any advice would be appreciated

Look at the base of the tree. How much decay is there. If you are really not sure, get someone with more experience to look at it. Check the trunk for cracks and splits. Pics would be helpful.

Yeah its a judgement call on each tree. Like Zale said check the base out really good. I some times drill into the wood with a long skinny drill bit. There are so many variable and no set rules only experience and your gut can guide you. But if the tree is still standing, a climber weight shouldn't make if break, but catching limbs or even big snap cuts could. and the higher you go, or further out on a leader you climb the more your putting stress on it.
I worry more that the tree will break at the base with me up in it then anything else. Some dead trees get really hard, some get pulpy and soft. some a combo of the two. Be safe.

a good thing to notice is if the bark has fallen off the trunk.

Standing trees where the bark has peeled off are often still very solid BUT the weak spot is at the stump -- where the roots touch the wet soil it will rot quickly and the whole tree will go over stump and all.

where as trees which hold bark --cherry, oaks, maples-- fall apart limb by limb and can be punky the entire way up the tree

Often see alot of trees in Ohio climate will stand dead for years - elms especially and even pine trees- the upper wood is solid but as you work down to base of tree it gets soft, punky, and that is usually the point of failure

Either way stay safe, if any doubt put a lift on the job for those dead ones!

One thing I do if the top looks sketchy, is throw a rope in it and pull getting the tree to sway. I'm making sure the vibration of me climbing won't cause the top to snap and drop of my little head.

Maybe kind of a newb question but how dead is too dead to spur climb, say on a crane removal, where you wouldn't have to worry about the top swaying the tree as much? Are there any general rules or basically just if your spurs stick? Maybe like using the claw of a hammer to see how far it is rotted through? I have heard of that, and i know different trees are different, like locusts are hard to tell since they rot inside out, but any advice would be appreciated
I think a big question to ask yourself ALSO is what do I have for a back up? I did this very dead pine as it was next to a storage building and fence, almost all of the bark pealed off as I climbed it and it was not a big tree to begin with. I rigged an escape using two nearby trees so if the dead tree went south I would just go for a swing after a quick un-clip. So for me in this case, how dead the tree was, was not the big question, the question was, what is my plan when the tree goes away.

[video=youtube;xBvsCWfPYIg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBvsCWfPYIg[/video]

Latest posts

Back