how did you handle your first climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeweight

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my first was a removal and i was very very slow and had a hard time trusting my spikes ,after getting tied in big weight lifted of my shoulders

everything i was told ,and researched just wasnt computing up there....people taunting me on the ground didnt help

Last edited:
My boss said "get up there and cut that branch, I gotta go to class." then left. I went up after an hour of dilly dallying and cut it. Then I realized I didn't know how to get down. My groundie didn't speak english and kept saying "no se". Finally I figured out that when you pull down on the friction hitch, you go down.

I was very lucky my first climb, it was a massive oak cabling job, the second climber hadn't shown that day, I was able to climb with the owner, to this day I still hear his voice in my head, I put my full trust and respect for this job to learning with him. That was 1998, and he had 25 years at that time.

My first was easy, a small dying fir in my bosses back yard. They talked me through it and I loved it. All with a handsaw of course. Just limbed it up, put a rope in the top and rapelled down. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. That was back in 1988

My first climb was to top a Weepin Willow in downtown TO/cabbage town, a tight lilltle yrd behind the brownstone with lines everywhere.
I never even wore spurs at this point and put one on backwards and the foreman laughed and showed me what was right. Fn Hor-ticulturist he cursed.
I got up the tree and they passed me 036 and coached me through a dozen cuts until I broke the filter cover and the boss thought it was enough of initiation and didn't want to see any blood or didn't feel like fixing somethin else I broke.

I am not sure what I enjoyed more that day. Runnin a saw at high RPM and hanging from the rope :chainsaw: or showin the guys the no fear factor:skywalker: or the five $ hoes in the alley:sweet_kiss:(kiding) :msp_razz:

Thanks Edison, Tom,Gary and crew for showin how the big city boys getr done :cheers:

Back