How do I know what size file

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Joe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a new 346XP and was wondering if anyone can tell me what size file I am supposed to be using to sharpen the chain... I have an 18" bar and chain on the saw...Thanks, Joe

Whatever file diameter allows 1/5 to 1/4 of the file diameter to come above the top of the cutter on any particular chain. This can vary as the cutter is filed back to where it is shorter and then you may want to go down one file size.

Hi Big Joe, for best performance I would do the 72LG Boogey on the 346 with an open muffler, will stun all woodticks, gauranteed.
One sweet saw, Dennis does the best job so far as I can tell as so far the impressed audience, just ask me or RB tree. 15"- 16" bars rule on this saw.
John

that 295 came in today and its325. the 5/32 file matched the edge on it when it came. but somethin is wrong. i sharpened it tonite but it wasnt dull. certainly didnt feed into the cut as u would hope for.
mabe i change the edge to 3/16 . somethin got make it feed better. like holdin a angle grinder on a motor block.
but the powers there ,so i think i can get what i want out of it.think i may have to change the whole bar ,chain comb.

yep ,i know thats just how it cuts,[like the gauges are too high. their alrite.
sure wish thatwas the problem.
oh well half the fun is getting one rite ,anyway.

Latest posts

Back