How do you deal with all the Splitter Scraps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gather them up in buckets, they are a perfect size for my wood cook stove,

standard.jpg

To cook my supper,

standard.jpg

And then, there's desert too,

standard.jpg

Nice for starting fires in my wood furnace too...

SR
MMM. Chicken, fries and dessert....Nuthin Better

Cool idea to cook in that old stove outside.

I shovel all the scraps onto a 1/2" metal screened wood frame then shake and what falls through stays in the yard and gets raked around, what stays on the screen goes in plastic buckets for kindle and dries that way in the barn for a few months.

All that burning the scraps out side, is called HEAT LOSS! I think I'd rather have that heat in my house this winter! lol

SR

When I'm splitting wood, the splits get thrown on a trailer hooked to my ATV. After the last load for the day, my wife might pick up some of it for kindling, then the rest gets raked up and shoveled on the trailer and dumped back in the woods. When I'm working on bigger trees from my own woods, I also like to split right where the tree fell. Having some kindling is nice, but this last winter, we went for one stretch of about 6 weeks without having to start a fire from kindling, so it might be more trouble saving it all then it's worth, but that's just one man's opinion and may not be the best for every situation.

IMG_0168.jpg

Save uglies and junk for fire pit. Bark and little scraps for warming hands when splitting as in my previous post.

I try to split my wood in the woods. If I have to bring rounds home to split I'll rake the splitter trash up and use a snow or coal shovel to toss em onto a brush pile. I always seem to have one of them on the property. When I sweep out the truck bed I do it out back of the pole building and let the worms have the wood dust and bark scraps. I'll save a few pieces of kindling while splitting for starter wood, but I do not keep much of it around. I just do not need much kindling. I certainly do not need a bunch of buckets or barrels full of kindling. Sounds like a great place for mice to nest in. Once I fire up the OWB in the fall it usually burns nonstop till Mid April.

Making some pallet bins for uglies, shorts,and splitter leavings of worthwhile size. Just hate to loose those BTU's. Who knows might even see if I can sell some of it for a couple bucks. I can fill a 40x48x40 high bin right now, maybe even 2 of those. Maybe get 25 or 30 green stamps for it. Would pay for fuel, bar oil ,and such.
Been a cool wet summer here. Might have rig a small kiln up to get rid of excessive surface moisture before winter stacking - leavings would be good for doing that. Have a old wood furnace/ smoke dragon stashed in the shop that would likely work nicely for that purpose. I think I need to pursue this - there is another thread on drying kilns.

It depends. The Boss likes outdoor fires so some of it goes to the firepit. The bark and larger pieces go into a loose pile near my wood stacks that gets depleted in the shoulder season indoors and I have a little voglezang box stove that I'll setup outdoors when I'm splitting in the winter with about 10' of single wall that I use t make coffee and warm up my hands. Eventually once I get my wood furnace hooked up in my barn the majority will go to that to help it get going as needed. Otherwise the crap pieces are normally given to buddies at work for their chimineas and they usually throw me a couple dollars for the trouble. The wood bruned outdoors may represent a "heat loss" compared to burning it indoors, but my wife likes the fires and the fires get her going so... It's worth it!

All that burning the scraps out side, is called HEAT LOSS! I think I'd rather have that heat in my house this winter! lol SR

I think I'd rather have all that mess, outside!

Rake it all into the skid steer bucket and to the burn pile. MESS GONE!

I usually rake all of the stuff into a pile and take the big stuff out. Any weird shaped piece that is worth burning gets thrown on top of the stacked wood piles to provide a slope for the snow to roll off when the tarp is placed on it. Anything else that is small is raked up and thrown into a big pile into the woods.

...we went for one stretch of about 6 weeks without having to start a fire from kindling, so it might be more trouble saving it all then it's worth...

Put me in the "more trouble than it's worth" camp.
I ain't gonna' rub two sticks together when I want or need a fire, that's for Cub Scouts... I earned the Merit Badge years ago.
This is 2014... real men use an accelerant and a Bic Lighter (the long ones reduce how far you have to bend over).
The furnace rarely "goes totally cold" and for less than 10 bucks I can buy a Bic Lighter with enough fire accelerant fluid (mix it with a little used oil) to last all season... squirt, flick, and slam the damn door, the draft blower handles everything from there.
In the fire pit I just lay one or two charcoal briquets (one bag usually lasts all season) in the bottom between a couple of pieces, squirt with the same mix, flick the Bic, and pile the wood on... done‼
I probably wouldn't need to mix in the used oil, but it burns hotter and longer with it... and I've always got some... and I gotta' get rid of it some way or another.

Put me in the "more trouble than it's worth" camp.
Same here. I used to keep it around but now split in the driveway and use a snow shovel to scoop and dispose of. Bernzomatic piezoelectric torch is on fire starter duty.

I shovel all the scraps onto a 1/2" metal screened wood frame then shake and what falls through stays in the yard and gets raked around, what stays on the screen goes in plastic buckets for kindle and dries that way in the barn for a few months.
I rake the bigger pieces and put them in plastic garbage cans for kindling and/or shovel it in the stove like coal. The sawdust and noodles go in the garden for mulch.

Latest posts

Back