How do you fix a broken case ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy1941

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Husky 55 yesterday, and found it had a broken case/chain catcher. I have seen this on other saws, wondering if there
is a good fix for it besides a complete tear down and replace case half. I am thinking of putting in the av biscuit and a chain catcher
then filling the area with JB weld. It would not stick to the plastic handle but might stick to the metal case material. Has anyone else done a repair? This seems to be kind of a common weakness. Chain catches the chain catcher and breaks a piece of the case. View attachment 255222View attachment 255223

I think the JB weld would come loose between the oil and the vibration. Might be worth a try though before replacing the broken half.

I patched up my STIHL magnesium case with JB - excellent repair! If I do say so myself.
Many years ago I plugged a hole inside the bowl of a carburetor with JB and it worked good.

What is the case material? If aluminum, a competent welding shop should be able to weld them together. If it is Mag or some other alloy maybe not. JB Weld or any other epoxy for that matter will not hold that if there is any load. At least not w/out some type of scab to bridge the crack. the piece will simply flex of and break again.

If you go that rout the areas need to not only be well clean and free of oil, but they need to have the paint removed, and the surface should be very rough to give the epoxy some gripping surface. Just as you say the JB Weld will not stick to plastic, the smoother painted surface is about the same as the plastic.

dw

255223d1349195066-55-2-jpg

That's an area that sees alot of stress, which is why it broke. If the part is aluminum, it could be welded and machined, but it would cost more than replacing the part. To do the job properly the case would still need to be split and the case put on a mill after the welding to bore out the recess.

JB weld has it's place, but this is not it's place.

There are always a bunch of 55 cases and cranks setups on ebay fairly cheap...almost never see a good used 55 P&C on there....hense the vast number of other 55 parts for sale ....I would just pick one up that looks to be in good shape and move all your stuff onto the case...wouldn't take more than a hour or two. max, to make the swap and would eliminate the need to split the cases etc. I doubt JB weld would be very satisfactory in that position for the long run.

Do you have the missing piece?

If so I think you would be able to weld or braze the parts together. If it was me I would still add a small flat plate to bolt the two peices together after the weld/braze repair to give it more strength, go right over the top of the AV mount. Some 5mm flat head allen screws would fit flush with the steel plate, just grind them off so they just protrude a thread or two thru the case. You could weld a stud to the plate to act as the chain catcher.

Best of luck

As suspected, that is an AV mount location. Unless you have the missing part AND can have it properly welded, you'll need a new case.

And proper means a TIG welder and some magnesium rods. There are a few guys here that do it...Bob

Duct tape and chewing gum. Must be democrats. Very helpful and intelligent answers.

If I were democrat I would have elected to have you publicly flogged for destroying the atmosphere with your carbon emissions, for destroying trees instead of snuggling them, and tried for war crimes since everyone knows running a chainsaw is an act of war against the environment.

Duct tape and bubble gum is the epitomy of American conservatism you fruit cake!

:msp_tongue:

Back