how do you hold your cylinder in the lathe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezza1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
how do you guys hold the cylinder in the lathe to cut the base ive got a few oldcylinders to play with so i want to give it a go can ya put up a pic maby a vid ???
thanks

I would not use any sort of plastic. It's significantly more prone to deflection. Bearing bronze would probably be my choice.

Plastic will work fine, I've used it, can't remember what it was called though. Ask the guy where you buy it what machines well, that's what I did. All my other mandrels are aluminum though.

Plastic will work fine, I've used it, can't remember what it was called though. Ask the guy where you buy it what machines well, that's what I did. All my other mandrels are aluminum though.

Delrin maybe?

UHMW is pretty decent stuff. Some off roaders make skidplates out of it.

PE? This stuff is pretty tough and ridged even up past it crystallinity point. It doesn't melt due to the MW being so high. Macmaster-Carr has a great plastics selection guide on their site if you are looking for an appropriate polymer for a mandrel.

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

Latest posts

Back