How Do You Keep Motivated

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLLACOSTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How do you guy's that are self employed or business owners keep yourselves motivated ,sometimes i hit low point's and i simply can't be bothered and i take a few day's off :cool:

thing's that make me low

crap employees or employees that dont give a stuff

seeing hack firm's get all the best work only for them to ruin a good job/tree

needing new equipmant but cant afford it

sick of explaining the same old stuff [don't top your tree's] to potential client's

yehh i know i moan a lot :) but seriously how do the self employed folk on here keep motivated ???

I know exactly what you mean. The employee thing often gets to me. I try to remember that, when I was an employee, I was never as motivated as the boss either, and I just expect less from them...but I still don't put up with the real tossers!

A lot of the time, I keep going because it won't get done otherwise, and bills won't get paid. Not the best situation sometimes, but I do enjoy what I do, which helps. If I start to get p1ssed off with certain types of work, I stop taking it on. I got fed up with trimming hedges long ago, so don't do that any more. I also got fed up of being asked by customers to overprune trees so that there's a fraction more light in their kitchen, or there are fewer leaves to sweep up come Autumn :rolleyes: Over the years, I've pulled out of working in people's gardens for the most part.

Sometimes, I look for other types of work I've never done before, and take on low risk little jobs here and there, just to see if we can do it profitably. Variety, and all that..!

For me as well, my stuff is seasonal. It's a lot quieter in Summer, but I work hard in winter. Over the year, I do an average amount of work, but it's all crammed into the winter months. For example, I did 7 days a week for February, March and most of April, but I probably won't do much in May. I find it more interesting than 40 hrs per week each and every week, and it breaks up the year.

The hardest bit is when you've not got much paying work on, but there are lots of maintenance jobs to do. It's too easy to take it too easy and grind to a total halt. If that happens to me, I'm in trouble, because I find it very hard to get going again.

I try not to take too much notice of the profit and loss, because it sometimes seems like I'm working for nothing. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, but you can tie yourself in knots worrying about not making enough money. I find that if I don't think about it too much (within reason), it's less of a problem, and I'm happier.. :p

Finally, I think of some of the jobs I had to do when I was an employee, really cr@p jobs, jobs we had to do because we had no choice...like picking up twigs in a field for two days, strimming round fence posts on the side of the M1 .. or the office jobs which are too painful to think about. It's never as bad as that, nor will it ever be, and that always cheers me up. :)

Keeping 20 guys and 1 other gal employed keeps us hopping 6 1/2- 7 days a week. We made a committment to the company with sights of a nice retirement one day. Our kids are grown and so we are pushing hard looking for the end! And having a good time I will add.

Interest.
I found out pretty quick that it is needed, so i made it a demand of myself to find interest in the work I did or change work to something interesting.

Being the boss has its downs, but you focus on the positive. Sometimes you just need to step back, and admire what you've built from scratch, how you've put it together, how it all works for you. When's the last time you looked at a customer list, and compared it to the one from a couple years ago? or your 1040?

They were handing out crying towels at the post office on the 15th for those paying their taxes, I told them I'd use mine to cry for the ones getting a refund, cause its the most money they'll see all year, and it's gone in a week.
-Ralph

have a release ,fast women ,slow horses,and dirt bike riding ,rolla learn to switch off,got an employee taking the piss ,hit em where it hurts,,,,,in the pocket ,,,,

Rolla. I find it quite easy. A 175mph bike. No matter how tough the day, half an hour later always got a big smile on my face.

ROLLACOSTA said:
how do the self employed folk on here keep motivated ???

Visit the boards to read and realize other guys are going through the same crap. And reading about the guys that have made it over the hump.

Bad days are tough knowing a $45k 8 hour a day job is only a phone call away. Then the memories of the political BS, and having to do things someone elses way come back.

timberwolf150 said:
Rolla. I find it quite easy. A 175mph bike. No matter how tough the day, half an hour later always got a big smile on my face.

I think i'll pass on the '**** me pant's session' :) bike's just aint my thing ,to risky for me :dizzy:

Take on challenging trees in difficult situations that test the old grey matter, the sense of achievement is great!

it gets to us all rolla,i think of the days climbing all day doing r.o.w for $500 a week that gets me out the door

Big A said:
Take on challenging trees in difficult situations that test the old grey matter, the sense of achievement is great!

this is half the problem ,i'm not getting enough challenging work ,just lately weve been getting nothing but small brain numbing stuff ,with low £££s

ROLLACOSTA said:
this is half the problem ,i'm not getting enough challenging work ,just lately weve been getting nothing but small brain numbing stuff ,with low £££s

itl turn around rolla

I'm doing a small lot clearing for a guy right now despite my initial moral hesitation, and the customer has been a headache the whole way. From hassling me about the bid to sob stories about his troubles. It culminated today with: Bobcat operator late because of flat trailer tires, Bobcat has no traction in muddy hillside, log loader hydraulic fitting brakes and we spend 4 hrs looking for this rare part ultimatly having it fabricated, back to job and part is to big, so we go door to door and 10th house has a grinder, get truck running, send truck to dump and it tears down a phone line, and finally I hear that the Bobcat operator (who left do do another small job while we were part hunting) has flipped his machine and is in the hospital with a broken shoulder. Then the customer can't understand why the guy we're dumping the wood on won't take the brush too, and he says to me, "Some people are just hard to deal with."
Yep.
And I have to replace the cutter wheel axle and bearings in my chipper.
Some days are diamonds and some days are rocks.

Back