How do you make a living?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm an estimator for a steel fabrication business, mostly tube bending and forming. Small family owned business with about 20 employees.

We used to have too much free time on our hands and built the contraption in the attached pic, the Q-36 pumpkin modulator. The business has grown to a point where free time is non-existant but the toys still come out on occasion.

I've seen a Piano modulator in action, wow it was amazing!

I am currently an Economic Development Officer and have been for the past 8 years. Will be for another 2 years until I finish my Commerce degree (my "year off" just ended after 9 years), then it's off to bigger and better things.

I started out in (light) construction, then went into railroading until it started to die out. Figured I'd start earning money with my brains instead of my back, but I sure miss the work and sometimes feel like dropping everything and heading back out to a work camp somewhere.

Cutting firewood not only keeps me warm, but also helps to keep me sane (or as sane as I ever was).

A pumpkin modulator use compressed air to shoot a pumpkin. Haven't you seen punkin-chunkin on Discovery channel.

I'm a Case Manager (Social worker/counselor/Exorcist) at a county public health clinic (STD testing/treatment, Teen O.B. Clinic, and a primary care clinic) for teens ages 12-21 years of age. I witness and hear horrific things...
I been blessed to be able to help some young people gain normalcy in their lives. I have a fair amount of clients who are teenage parents, and I also teach a 10 week series of parenting classes for teens who are parents.

Using my chainsaw is one of many ways to relieve my stress. I wish the best for my children's generation...the way I see adolescents now it scares me what society has become. I figure if I can teach and empower my children to be good, moral people and leave the real hard stuff to God, then they be just fine.

Have a great day Y'all!!!

Regards,
valleyboy

I am a mechanical engineer working for an engineering consultant firm. Our division primarily produces alignment sheets and piping drawings for installing pipelines, compressor stations and metering stations.

Most of my years here have been in an office although I'd much rather be outside even if it is 100F or 15F. My love for the outdoors is my main reason for enjoying saws, cutting and splitting wood, etc. Camping, hunting, fishing, atving are all my favorite hobbies.

Waylan

I don't have as much stress as you guys. I have been a police officer for over 13 years. I relax by using my chainsaw and thinking of all the perps I run across. :chainsaw:

My day job sounds piddly compared to some.

I own a small one man window sales and installation company. If anyone needs a good deal on replacement vinyl windows let me know.. Oh you pay the travel fees.. On my slow days I help a few friends that have small farms..(Gives me some seat time)

The tally so far...

I included those who are self employed in the service sector in the blue collar numbers but if the numbers get any higher I'll probably make a seperate category. By my count, this is what we've got so far minus those who have posted while I was writing this, of course:

White Collar: 11
Blue Collar: 6
Green Collar: 1
Retired: 1

Last edited:
I am a quantity surveyor for a Local Authority Building dept. Moved out of the Rat race of Main Contacting to spend more time with my kids, dropped from a 60hr week to a boring 9-5, four days a week. love spending that extra time with my little ones, but sometimes, just sometime thrill and pressure of the old job.

A pumpkin modulator use compressed air to shoot a pumpkin. Haven't you seen punkin-chunkin on Discovery channel.

Last American to own a TV, and love it!

But not seeing a punkin-chuckin seems a bummer.

Just from the hip?

Is there a way to use A/O to 'POP' that punkin out there, instead of compressed air? Thinking a win here!

And on another note. I do like punkin-seeds, slightly salted - slightly toasted,,,,, this give new meaning to how to get the seeds out of the punkin!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I Build Machines that build bearings for the Timken Bearing Co, I Love it, Get to use my imagination at someone elses expense. I Have 8 acres and 5 horses.

I am a diesel mechanic, but also work on anything that comes in the door with a motor. On the side, my wife and I run a craft supply website, affordablecrafts.com
Between the two jobs, I cut firewood for the winter, sometimes business gets a little slow in the winter and I cant stand to sit around to long, even in the winter.
I much rather saw wood than ship craft supplies, but I love the repair work.

I milk cows and work for a couple of farmers during the morning and in the afternoon I work as the second shift supervisor of radiology at 268 bed hospital.

Kyle

I was a machine design engineer for 2 years, a college professor at five different universities for 15 years, director of marketing research for a major energy company for 4 years, and president of my own software development company for the last 22 years.

Now I'm worn out and just retired September 1 in order to pester TreeCo, et al. :greenchainsaw:

This video is a little dated and "dry" but it gives the general idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMFgkoCctdk

If I remember correctly, the "Q-36 pumpkin modulator" name came from the Marvin the Martian cartoon. Marvins weapon of choice was name something along the lines of the Elludium Modulator. There is a long story to go along with the name, one of those "you had to be there" stories tho. We've shot a 10 pound pumpkin about 4850 feet, still trying to hit the mile mark, maybe this year.

New Construction

I am in home sales, design, construction, and project cordination. Specializing in custom modular homes. Trying to make a living with over 2% of the local homes entering into forclosure. That does not count the ones that have already sold for .40 on the dollar. Economy here is terrible, so still trying to keep my head above water. Income in the last 3 years has dropped by over 50%...Enjoy cutting firewood it gets me away from this job and gives me some alone time to think...Not to mention it puts food on the table and clothes on the kids.
Ps. I also grow about an acre of pumpkins, and 75 tomatoe plants, i leave this money for the kids as long as they work at it. I would love to see one of my pumpkins go for a ride in the pumpkin gun!

Last edited:
I own a small one man window sales and installation company. If anyone needs a good deal on replacement vinyl windows let me know.. Oh you pay the travel fees.. On my slow days I help a few friends that have small farms..(Gives me some seat time)

Huh. Me too. That is I install for someone else now. I was self employed for about 8 years but then one of my major customers that I subcontracted to made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Now I make good money doing the same thing but no more night/weekend sales calls and persnickety customers.:cheers:

My name is Pete and I have been "downsized". I have worked for the same Paper Company for 24 years in a union shop. 5 years ago I worked my way into the Coating Preparation department, decent pay and a good all around job making formulas of coating, driving fork truck, running pumps and so forth. 3 weeks ago they annouced the work force of 220 people is being reduced to 86 people as of Decemebr 31st. "Thank you for 24 years of fathful service and by the way you are fired right in the midst of the holiday season".
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

What else can I do but look at it as an opportunity and move on with life, not something you plan on after 24 years and at the age of 47.

I am hoping we qualify for TAA, the federal program that allows workers displaced by foriegn trade to retrain for a couple years by the grace of some benefits.

Back