How do you make a living?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does full-time student count? I've got till may still. I usually work summers on the farm. (Except last summer had in internship.) I've normally done odd jobs around campus and for professors. (Can actually be decent money...professors are generally loaded) I'm cutting firewood for fun and as a self-employed alternative to "professors' handyman". We'll see if I make it.

Getting my B.S. in Occupational Safety....:chainsaw: (Still have to decide if and how I'll use it.)

I'm a forestry engeneer working for a forest management company that have 170 000 acres of eucaliptus forest to the paper industry.

I live in a 10 acres little farm with dogs, horses, hay and some forest for firewood.

Last edited:
Parole Officer...Unfortunately business is good. and a retired landlord. moved out to the sticks with the posse couple of years ago. Would love to make a living with my saws. 3 kids, wife in school and 1 big English Mastiff puppy.
Love country living and will never go back to the city...Except maybe for a red sox game. Maybe...

This is a great site.:greenchainsaw:

After 35 years as a power co. lineman, I retired 2 1/2 years ago at 55. I run my sawmill, cut firewood, pick up whatever side jobs interest me - The others, I just say "sorry, too busy" :)

Im jealous of you retirees. Ive got 20 years to go and I cant wait. Oh ya Im a general mechanic for a small suburb of Cleveland Ohio. I tell people I work on everything from weedeaters to firetrucks.:)

Used to build one of kind production machinery....test and runout then install and train operators. Large UPS's, industrial filters, robot programming, long list...all of it blue collar work.

Then we had a beautiful baby girl...not long after, we had a charming little boy...and these past 5-1/2 years I've been home with them. Tougher job than all previous combined, no timecard to punch after 8hrs and leave, no sickdays, no vacations, but the pay is awesome, benefits are priceless, and so much more that no 'job' can give you. Not sure what category it falls into though.

In the future some kind of homestead based business would still allow my availability for the kids, for sick days, summer vac, and all that.

rookie1, it goes by fast - When it was my turn, it seemed strange, it was like a few days before I was the 'new guy' - I do miss all the guys, great bunch - They stop when they're in the area. One of them said "I can't stop anymore, i'm so jealous of you I can't stand it"

Christmas tree farm manager here, and fast approaching my silly season. We ship in an average year between 8000-10,000 trees mostly in the Mississippi valley from Illinois to Texas. Peaceful most of the year since I tend to work all by my lonesome.:cheers:

Outside Sales Representitive for an International Truck Dealership.

I'd quit my day job in a second as well if I could make the same dough with my saws!

I work all day long and sometimes see nothing get done. It is rewarding to go to work with a saw, and at the end of the day actually see a difference. I like the workout too.

Wouldn't be Mid-State Truck by chance?

Industrial maintenance for seven years ago yesterday.

NEVER EVER FORGET 9/11 SEVEN YEARS AGO TODAY OR THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO HAVE GIVEN THEIR LIVES AND THE ONES WHO ARE STILL FIGHTING BECAUSE OF THAT SAD, SAD DAY. THANKS TO ALL YOU HEROS

MY GOD BLESS THEM ALL

Automotive tech at a Honda dealer. Formerly for a Ford dealer. I've pretty much worked on them all, though. I 'do' firewood on the side. Helps with the bills, especially now that we are building a house.

Back