How do you pronounce Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you pronounce Stihl?

• Like Bill, Will or Kill?

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • Like Meal, Deal or Wheel?

Votes: 69 68.3%

• Total voters
You're all wrong, it's Sth-yel.. or style for short.

In Germany, yes. Though even in Germany there is a lot of dialect variation, high and low German, Bavarian and Austrian. I was amazed on travel once that a fellow engineer from Germany could not understand a group of hot Bavarian babes that were jabbering at us at a convention. I said I could not understand a thing that they said. He said that it was the same for him (he is from Hamburg).

In Germany, yes. Though even in Germany there is a lot of dialect variation, high and low German, Bavarian and Austrian. I was amazed on travel once that a fellow engineer from Germany could not understand a group of hot Bavarian babes that were jabbering at us at a convention. I said I could not understand a thing that they said. He said that it was the same for him (he is from Hamburg).

Hmmm.. wasn't sure there was such a thing... :greenchainsaw:

Ooooh la la... you should half been zere. Hot shteaming vomens.

They do have hotties in Bavaria. Not that I would want to live with or marry one, as they seem to turn into 'Bavarian Shteam Rollers' with age. Talk about dominating women. Though, I think that is an overall tendancy of many EU women in general, and not just Bavarian women, hot or otherwise. :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

Eehhhhh, hold on whats wrong with European women.

Here in Holland, the best looking in the world, been many times in Germany, Eastern Europe and so on. Every where you go (except Polland), good looking women.:bowdown:

Have been in the States, never seen so many BIG women.:dizzy: :notrolls2:

But the topic is STIHL.

The only way to pronounce it is STIHL, with the German, overal accent.
Steel is to hard, must have an H in between, like Steehl.

But wat the h.., as long as they understand what you mean.

Good luck with the women!

give me a piece of this........

We flatlanders around here pronounce it stee-hil like ski hill. go easy on the european women-- my wife might read this and cop a bad attitude and I will be forced to spend another sunday in the garage watching t.v. and playing with saws.... wouldn't that be a bummer!

Who knows what "LA" stands for?

I know...I'll give a +1 rep point to whoever comes up with the right answer first.

And the Swabians definitely say "SSSShhhhteeehl" 'cause anything with a "S" in front is worth pronouncin' real sloppy like.

Yup, lived in Stuttgart for a while. Stihl is just a few km down the road in Waiblingen.

Down here where they make them they pronounce them
STEAL as in... highway robbery when you buy one then try to get it serviced or get a simple stinking part for it, you are forced to go to a "dealer"
disclaimer: not trying to step on anybody's toes here, just trying to have a little fun at Steal's expense.

From Stihl's own website:

Frequently Asked Questions
General Information About STIHL

Q. How do you pronounce the name STIHL?
A. Our name is pronounced exactly like the metal "steel."

Last edited:
Down here where they make them they pronounce them
STEAL as in... highway robbery when you buy one then try to get it serviced or get a simple stinking part for it, you are forced to go to a "dealer"
disclaimer: not trying to step on anybody's toes here, just trying to have a little fun at Steal's expense.

From Stihl's own website:

What's the matter Vap....
Tried to get a job there and they wouldn't hire you or what.

Eehhhhh, hold on whats wrong with European women.

Here in Holland, the best looking in the world, been many times in Germany, Eastern Europe and so on. Every where you go (except Polland), good looking women.:bowdown:

Have been in the States, never seen so many BIG women.:dizzy: :notrolls2:

I have seem some of the most striking women here from Poland. Blue eyed brunettes that would have you on your knees begging... they had me there, anyway. Now, I have not been to Poland so I cannot say what the average woman is like there. Holland, and Denmark, and Norway and Sweden have some real striking thin babes too. My family is from Norway.

As for fat women here in the states, it all depends on where you go. In Boston? There are a heck of a lot of skinny blondes in New England. Here in the cities on the west coast they tend to be thinner. Some women in the midwest start eating the hotdogs at the wedding reception and just do not stop blimping out. In the south, I have seen some real huge women. Out here in the western boonies it varies a lot. In Eugene there are a lot of thinner women around the university there. In Springfield, just a few miles away, they are fatties all over. I mean these women do not miss any meals. A lot of men there do not miss any meals or beer parties either though. The average american diet is very calorie rich.

I was in New England when the movie The Perfect Storm came out. At first I thought that the people in the movie would be way better looking than the real characters. As it turned out after going to Gloucester and seeing photos of the real people that the movie was based on, it was the other way around. The real women (and men) were a heck of a lot better looking than the actors.

Up thare in BC eh, it be Still, eh?

I swear around here the western Canadian accent is descending in latitude and people are starting to talk like they do on that TV show, Ice Road Truckers. I spent a lot of time in BC as a kid, and I drift into that accent if I am talking to locals here down at the mill or something. These are locals from OryGun like me, not Canooks that have emigrated south.

Last edited:
Even though I pronounce Stihl "steal", and sometimes make fun of the brand, I must "steele" myself to one day buying me a Stihl, even though I know I won't get one for a "steal". Still, I find myself wanting a Stihl although it's not that much "steel" in it.

Up thare in BC ey, it be Still, ey?

I swear around here the western Canadian accent is descending in latitude and people are starting to talk like they do on that TV show, Ice Road Truckers. I spent a lot of time in BC as a kid, and I drift into that accent if I am talking to locals here down at the mill or something. These are locals from OryGun like me, not Canooks that have emigrated south.

LOL

.... it's eh not ey..... the Canadian accent infection may not be as bad as you suspect.

:)

This is from Stihl's web site-

Q. How can I become a dealer?
A. Go to our contact us page. If you are interested in distributing our product outside the United States, visit www.stihl.com, to contact Andreas Stihl in Germany.

Q. I am interested in a job with STIHL, who should I contact?
A. See the employment section.

Q. I am interested in exporting/importing your products, how do I go about setting that up?
A. We don’t export STIHL products from the United States except through our own distribution system. If you are interested in importing products into your country, please contact Andreas Stihl at www.stihl.com.

Some days it can be a " stall "saw instead of a "steel" saw but other times it is " still " the best saw to own.

Larry

Back