How do you pronounce Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you pronounce Stihl?

• Like Bill, Will or Kill?

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • Like Meal, Deal or Wheel?

Votes: 69 68.3%

• Total voters
Since its a German made product, tecnically, it should be pronounced
Shhhteeel.

But in the U.S., I think steel is ok.

Still? Thats just plain silly.
:popcorn:

They pronounce it "steel" in all of the TV spots I've seen and the website indicates the same. I would bet the manufacturer knows how to pronounce their company name, even in an anglicized version.

Let people insist that it is "still". I tell my kids not to let the stupid people in the world bug them, there are just too many of them.:spam: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :heart: :heart: :heart:

LOL

.... it's eh not ey..... the Canadian accent infection may not be as bad as you suspect.

:)

I used ey becasue it sounds that way to me, eh? Eh here is like uh... I flipped it for you though. I think it is worse here than I suspect, 'cause they all talk that way, way down here in OryGun. Funny thing though, if I get lost here I just ask whoever is around if they know how I can get to Canada. That usually gets a laugh. :popcorn:

And the Swabians definitely say "SSSShhhhteeehl" 'cause anything with a "S" in front is worth pronouncin' real sloppy like.

the german (Schwabisch) way !

PS. Read my avatar 50 times this way and you won't be no longer embarassed talking to your dealer ever again, LOL.

Last edited:
Belgian beer...off topic

the german (Schwabisch) way !

PS. Read my avatar 50 times this way and you won't be no longer embarassed talking to your dealer ever again, LOL.

Hey Belgian,
years ago we stopped in Belgium on the way back to Stuttgart from a trip to Holland and had a beer called Duvel (spelling?). One of the best beers I ever had. The waitress gave a whole spiel about how you have to pour it so you don't get the crud from the bottom of the bottle in your glass, or you get a hangover.

Is that beer still around? Probably is...all the German breweries have logos that say "Established 1543" or whatever.
-Chris:givebeer:

Hey Belgian,
years ago we stopped in Belgium on the way back to Stuttgart from a trip to Holland and had a beer called Duvel (spelling?). One of the best beers I ever had. The waitress gave a whole spiel about how you have to pour it so you don't get the crud from the bottom of the bottle in your glass, or you get a hangover.

Is that beer still around? Probably is...
-Chris:givebeer:

Hi Chris, sure....is still available and one of my favorites. I always have a case of Duvel in house. Use it as a night cap all the time. Very strong, but excellent taste, one of the belgian best imo. The 'crud'at the bottom is residu of yeast used for post-fermentation and has quite a bitter taste. That's why you have to poor it slowly to avoid dragging it out of the bottle.
More than 2 of this beer can bring you in trouble already..., not for the weak at heart :)

attachment.php

Last edited:
When my German friend borrowed my 041, he borrowed my still. You know, still as in dead, not steel, not shtill. But of the three Germans I just had lunch with 5 minutes ago, they seam to be split on shtill and still.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: NO STEEL involved, just a marketing gimmick to sound American and tough.:givebeer:

How bout McCullough???????
1. Mac
2 Mu-kull-uh
3 Mu-kull-leg
4 Mu-kull-lick

That was an American company, and I have heard all four ways.

Always been "Mack" to me... "MahCullah" if it needs parts, or someone needs a better definition than just Mac.

I pronounce it Still, but I am a StihlHead like the salmon.

You're all wrong, it's Sth-yel.. or style for short.

Thats way i see/say it.......Andy beat me to it.......The:censored:

I pronounce the rest as "The junk next to my style"

Last edited:
See this is why you guys should just stick to Homelite.......or is it homelight..........or homie, or homely.........Doh!!!!!

:buttkick:
Man we need an American made saw. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Back