How doies an automatic oiler work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnaud

Reaction score
Hi,
I've got an old Echo CS-360 saw which was working fine until recently.
Now I noticed that no oil is ending up at the chain anymore.
I've completely cleaned the entire saw, including the filters of both the petrol and oil-tank; everything is clean!
But.... still no oil is coming out of the automatic oiler. This oiler is driven directly by a rod in contact with the camshaft.
I've taken the oiler out of the saw but have no clue how it actually works; can anyone shine a light on this for me?
Dsc02050.jpg

Since I suspect this item to be faulty, I'm wondering if I can restore it's function since I suspect no spare-parts are available of this old saw...

Thanks for your help!
Arnaud.

I am speaking a bit out of turn here because I have no experience with that model but that oiler looks to be indentical to the one in my 400EVL, if so it is available. Echo is very good about keeping parts available for older units. Make sure the pump is cleaned of any dirt and get some new orings as it will pump the bar oil into the crankcase if they are worn or nicked. They will not prime unless lubed before installed. You need a full tank of oil and the pump will not pump a drop unless it is screwed in the correct amount or turns. Once primed they work perfectly unless you run the saw out of oil. These suggestions come from my experience with the 400. As I remember the pump is about 1 turn from all the way in with the plunger on the high spot on the crank to pump full volume but going from (bad) memory there.

Hi Butch,

Thanks, that makes me thinking!
I agree that worn o-rings will probably allow oil to leak into the carter and will replace them anyway.
Never thought about the need for priming the pump to actually get it working...
Could you give me some timps how I can prime this pump?

Cheers,
Arnaud.

Just coat it with bar oil and work the plunger with your fingers a few times. It will prime easier with a full oil tank. I ran mine with the bar off to check for max flow and set the stop.

The O Rings in the Echo's are usually the problem. And most of the time used motor oil for the bar and chain is the culprit here, (not to start a lenghtly battle here on that subject) but a known fact in the Echo line up. The O Rings are all the same on the auto oil pumps. I can get them if you can't find any. When installing them use the barrel of a ball point pen and slide the well oiled o ring up the barrel onto the spot on the pump...Bob

Back