How hard is the MCA Test?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treetop flyer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Currently living in Amherst, MA while attending St
I worked as a climber and foreman for a tree company in Massachusetts for 5 yrs before spending the last 2 yrs in the southwest. Now that I am back I want to take the MCA test. How hard is the test? I have the study guide cd... is the stuff in there all I need to know for the exam? Any insights you have would be great.
Thanks Guys

Wicked HAAAHD!

There is a study guide though. www.MassArbor.org

Wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you, Dennis will have you well prepared.................

What he said!

I took it and passed by a hair... :greenchainsaw:

Study Study Study! EVERYTHING on that CD is touched on in the test.

Unlike the ISA test there is a Tree ID, NON multiple choice, LATIN and common names are a must, Pest ID, and Disease ID. The pictures they use are clear, but make sure your prepared. They throw some oddballs at you.

Good Luck!

The hardest test I ever took, and I took more than a few.

Give Dennis some cheers from Ben in New York...he'll understand!

:cheers:

Does this Certification carry the same weight elsewhere? I live in Pa. many here would think it strange that I am a MCA, didnt know if this test could be taken by out of staters & if it carries the same recognition as the ISA CA?

Is MCA a more recognized program than ISA`s, does it carry more clout? regarding MA. of course. I was thinking about ordering the cd study guide, now is this just CD`s or does a booklet/workbook come with it?

thanks in advance!!!

LXT.........

Does this Certification carry the same weight elsewhere? I live in Pa. many here would think it strange that I am a MCA, didnt know if this test could be taken by out of staters & if it carries the same recognition as the ISA CA?

Is MCA a more recognized program than ISA`s, does it carry more clout? regarding MA. of course. I was thinking about ordering the cd study guide, now is this just CD`s or does a booklet/workbook come with it?

thanks in advance!!!

LXT.........

All the other Arborist tests, including ISA, are based on the MCA.

The CD (only one) is great, better than any study guide from any other source!

IMO Yes the MCA carries more clout. Its harder, and is MUCH more well respected. Look towards the back of the TCIA Magazine this month, and read the Article about the MCA program.

Read that article!! nice commendation for your organization, Seems like you have a well self regulated program & respected by the entire tree community, would be worth being part of!! Im gonna check it out, wish PA had something similar.

LXT.........

Read that article!! nice commendation for your organization, Seems like you have a well self regulated program & respected by the entire tree community, would be worth being part of!! Im gonna check it out, wish PA had something similar.

LXT.........

The MCA while a great self accomplishment, unfourtunately the ISA will hold more "clout" in PA/NJ. I would love to see this type of organization brought to the tri-state region. I can't say I'm a big fan of everything ISA stands for.

In New Jersey the NJ Certified Tree Expert carries the most weight by far. It is the only Certification recognized by the state and licenses you under the Department of Environmental Protection.

Latest posts

Back