How Important is Dealer Support?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
My dealer is offering a " Fall Tune-up Package", should I take all of my 36 saws into him just to keep them up to snuff? After all, I take my Dodge in every week to the dealer, and sheepishly say, " there is a noise in there somewhere, can you fix it?
As a result, I have several thousand invoices, but the noises never go away, and why would they?
John

Many people are incapable of doing even the most minor maintenance on their saws. Others just simply don't want to. Then there are the ones who simply don't think ahead on anything, they don't get an item until a few minutes before they need it.

I would also say that probably at least half of my customers never buy anything online, or have no computers, etc.

Dealers are not obsolete yet.

Oh yea, and I love the few that constantly want to trade saws, as if they want to experience every model.

I understand the bit about the repair service, Brian (and for my own situation I agree with you there), but to me dealer support goes beyond repair service and also entails being able to call them and say "Hey, I threw my chain and tore the crap out of my chain catcher on my whatever" and then, if they had to order it, they call me back in a couple of days to tell me it's in and it'll be $1.95.

Glen

How about the loggers, I see them in the shop a lot. Don't think it's for lack of saw know how. Maybe it's cus they work 12 hours and don't feel like fixing saws?

I think that "good" dealer support is important to the vast majority of saw users. The members of this forum are the exceptions to the norm in that they are more interested in saw performance and are more likely to be more knowledgeable in all aspects of saw maintenance and repair.

Another factor for consideration is that many of us are no longer relying on our saws full time for income and thus have more time for maintenance when needed. Having multiple saws doesn`t hurt either! :D

I hate to think of the demise of qualified servicing dealers, but between Husky and Echo`s sellout to the bean counters and Stihl`s general lack of quality dealers, I don`t see the industry evolving in a positive way.

Russ

Well said, Russ

Arboristsite, as good as it is, does not represent a true cross section of saw users. Most people here are much more knowledgeable about saws.

Some are so knowledgeable about saws that they are bored with the subject, and are most interested in getting a good fight going. And, "why wouldn't they be"?

Thanks Tony.

I agree with Brian regarding the fact that many dealers just aren`t stocking enough inventory these days. Just about anything that is not a consumable is non-stock, and expect to pay shipping if you need it asap. In that case, mail order or online has the obvious advantage.

I also understand the cost of maintaining inventory and can appreciate why many dealers don`t stock more

Maybe it`s only my perception, but Stihl dealers seem to be acrossed the board the worst when it comes to minimal inventory. I think the problem lies somewhat with having too many different models and variations within model lines.

Online or mail order parts are an evolution of the industry, I`m just not sure that it`s positive. There are many good dealers who are forced to heavily discount the saws and other products due to competition, who need the revenue from the sales of parts and service. In the meantime, I can`t fault those dealers who have gone online to try for a bigger marketshare.

Russ

With the internet economy growing so rapidly, and saws and parts available at a discount over the net, the ideal situation would have to be a dealer that could maintain a local presence while doing business over the internet. I am sure there are plenty of businesses operating that way, and that maintains the expertise in house while finding a way to cover the overhead. What do you think?

This thread premise gets resuscitated and regurgitated pretty often, and I like that because it gives myet another chance to spew my baseless opinions on everyone.

I <b>like it</b> that there are local dealers selling the products I want to buy and use. In my local area we went through a drought a couple of years ago...choice of Stihl at (even for Stihl) outrageous prices, or windshield time. You can't fondle and sniff over the internet. You don't know if the internet dealer has checked the unit out before shipping and if there's trouble you're on your own...will the online place even care if they sent you a saw without an air filter? :confused:

Maybe the brand you'd like is poorly represented over the net...Want a Jonsered trimmer or brush cutter, for example? (Don't tell me it's just a Husky, even so, it still isn't red)

And lastly, the local dealer is a last bastion of the days when all the locals hung out at the general store. You get the news, sometimes see old friends, find out about a new power line going through north of the river (who's taking bids?) and even sometimes get a deal on something. All that has a value, too.

I agree with Tony Snyder. I don't live in Illinois, but if I did, I'd might be one of the regulars at his store.

used to be

The dealers used to be able to get the parts in a day or so. With the internet now you can do the same, sometimes faster. Lots of dealers have computers for looking up parts but say they can't access the internet with them. Time for them to upgrade? The big box stores are in the same boat as the dealers, "We will have to back order that part for you. Can you fill out this form and prepay for the item?" You then realize you should have gone on the net and ordered it, it would have been faster.

Ya, we got the tail end of Isabella, so I occupied myself by painting all my mufflers today with BBQ paint, 3 cans latter and R&R 1700 bolts and torx screws, I think I did a fine job, and why wouldn't I?
John

Steve here...
Getting back on topic lil Leroy...
Went to my local Husky dealer and got a price on a 385XP for a friend...Can we say sand in the Vaseline!!! $799, plus tax. WOW!!! I can buy one on line for $677 to the door.. I could see maybee $50 dif, but thats rediculous.
Steven

ive always depended on good maintenance to keep me out of the repair shops[exception being my old chain man] .. lately ive been able to surprise myself ,fixin used saws i got cheap.
still if it hadnt been for pinkstons i wouldnt be getting my olympyk 962
back up, an like new.they tell me its really impressing them now ,,but needs some lever or something ,,before its right.
mabe i can break my self of buying these
saws now. i hope man, cause i dam sure cant use them all. one thing tho almost all ofum got h l adjust. so i mite be glad i gottum in a few yrs.

What is the problem with paying in advance? Otherwise if you order and don't come back the dealer is stuck with the item. He winds up eventually with a shelf full of uncatalogued obsolete parts. If you add up all the time and consider all the moves and paper work from start to finish in a parts transaction, it is hard to begrudge a small dealer the markup he gets.
As has been mentioned, the regulars are not as a group, representative of the "average chainsaw user". If you can't fix it yourself I think it is very important to have a dealer for support. The 50 bucks you saved in bypassing the dealer on the purchase of a saw would be eaten up very quickly if you mashed the end of a crankshaft because you were forced into doing makeshift repairs.
I buy onlline too but I still keep in touch with my dealers and expect them to fill their soup bowl occasionally.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Frank

I like having a dealer who will order parts and work on a saw when I don't have time. On the other hand I don't do much running to the dealer. Most of the time my saws are perkin' pretty well. If it needs a carb adjustment , new sprocket, fuel filter, spark plug (to replace the one that didn't wear out) etc. I'll do it myself. dealer "support" is nice but not terribly important provided I can obtain parts SOMEWHERE.

Tony, I sympathize. My chainsaw stable has grown to include a bunch of oddballs that I don't need lately. Brace yourself cause as soon as I use it on a job or 2 I'm going to be offering a 62cc Tanaka-cuts like Moody's Goose.;)

Originally posted by Gypo Logger
Ya, we got the tail end of Isabella, so I occupied myself by painting all my mufflers today with BBQ paint, 3 cans latter and R&R 1700 bolts and torx screws, I think I did a fine job, and why wouldn't I?
John

I can recommend a good accupuncturist for the wrist....

and/or a shrink:p :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hey Roger, what are you doing in that culvert, looking out of that woodpecker hole? Are you a feature or a fixture?
Anyway I am over at Rotax's having great time. We are heading to California in the morning and I was wondering if I could borrow your 3120 for the race. D.B. would'nt lend me his for all the tea in China; but I figured I could use at least your recalcitrant Makita/ Solo/ 346G?
Are you still going out with the Palm sisters?
John

Back