How is the stihl make product reservation process actually done?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered a couple of loops of chain of a type that I doubted was in stock on line. Go to stihl, go to chain, select dealer, select product reserve price pick exact time and date to pick up, give credit card for security reasons, get email saying product is ready to pick up. Drive to place and they intend on making loops of a similar pitch but different product while I wait. My point or question can only the dealer be involved in this kind of bait and switch scheme? The automated system can't sense the dealer has none of this product on stock or ever ordered any. It really shouldn't matter but it is a dealer I have spent somewhere between 500 and 1000 dollars at in the last couple of years.

It's the dealer's responsibility to fulfill the order in a timely and accurate fashion. In no way do I believe Stihl is at fault on your issue. The online product reserve process is part of a package that dealers need to pay into. The package includes increased advertising, more web presence on the Stihl websites and other benefits. Not every dealer participates in the program. I'm still in the research process figuring out if my shop wants to participate. One of my biggest concerns is the process of keeping inventory between my system and their system current.

Thanks for the response. Funny you should say increased advertising as I am getting imbedded Stihl ads on various other places I go now. You and your dealership might not get what you expect you are paying for as I clicked on one just now with a picture of a wrapped box and it took me to a place 650 miles away I had used to check to see if the chain loop prices differ by area and they must not be in the system because it said I had to go in person to get a price.

There is the Stihl system... stihlusa.com and stihldealers.com . When you hit the dealer search button on stihlusa.com and enter my zip code my shop is the first to come up. When you go to stihldealers.com (the website listed on national television advertising) and click on the dealer search button, my shop is not included at all. That is because I am not participating in the national advertising campaign at this moment.

Now, on the Stihl ads that embedded, I have no clue how they work on the 'Net. I don't understand the intricacies of embedded advertising. I do know that Google knows everything about your internet searching and will place ads according to that. Last night I searched for a certain hat for one of my kids for Christmas. After that, I had advertisements for that hat popping up all over when I was cruising the net.

On the ads, there is a huge science using a number of companies that track.

If its google ads, then it's likely you have cookies on your computer which feed this.

Depending on your browser, there's different ways but if you go in and clear the cookies history then it's likely your ads will change.

Why even participate in this dance? Call Bailey's, then assemble an order to minimize shipping costs.
Iexpect a vendor to serve my needs, not vice-versa.

Why even participate in this dance? Call Bailey's, then assemble an order to minimize shipping costs.
Iexpect a vendor to serve my needs, not vice-versa.
Well I had thought about posing a question about ordering stihl product from bailey's over in their section between when I started this thread and now. It says you have to call and the stuff comes from various sources. Baileys did a switch on me last year printed the label for what I ordered Which I now think is obselete but they linked to the oregon pdf file and put something else in the box. Then ignored two email inquiries.

Fran

Well I had thought about posing a question about ordering stihl product from bailey's over in their section between when I started this thread and now. It says you have to call and the stuff comes from various sources. Baileys did a switch on me last year printed the label for what I ordered Which I now think is obselete but they linked to the oregon pdf file and put something else in the box. Then ignored two email inquiries.

Fran

Fran,
We're talking chain here, nothihg esoteric to possibly be drop-shipped. Just a couple parameters: pitch, gauge, #DL, cutter type, comp. Company like Bailey's can "cut & paste" from a bulk reel at bulk-rate. Never had a problem with them & not seeking self-fulfilling prophecy. I'd certainly expect far less kerfuffle than what I'm hearing re Stihl. Wow- flippy caps and now chains! What next? Spark plugs?

What real importance is the chainsaw anyway, it is the land and the tree, what difference does the brand it is the fuel and the cutting attachment. It is arboristsite.

I put in the title reservation process that was what I had in mind discussing. Right or wrong I thought the on line reservation process was a way to order on line and still protect the dealer network. I would guess post 2 pretty much told me what I wanted to know that it doesn't order the part number of what I want and give the dealership the option of canceling if it is in stock.

Franny have you tried dealing with your dealer over the phone direct? I receive great service from my dealer. I can call & tell them what I want & if they have to research I will generally receive a call back within a couple of hours. They will order in what I need if available then give me a call when it comes in. In most cases 2-3 days.

Back