I feels like I won the lottery - (MS361) But have a couple ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jer75

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0016.JPG IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0013.JPG

I feel like I won the lottery!!!!

I bought this NOS MS361 that was listed here by a fellow member. Could not believe it was still available.

It was PHO and in my haste I ordered a 16" GB Arbor PRO. I actually kind of wanted to go 18" on this saw but this bar was reasonable and I felt like I could maybe just go to the Stihl dealer down the line and pick up an ES bar in 18".

I was able to find a couple Stihl loops of 36RSC60 for now to run this current set-up.

Turns out this saw was meant for the Mexico market I think, the owners manual is in Spanish and I think the box itself indicated as much. So I don't really have a manual I can thumb through, but the internet makes it darn easy these days anyway.

The only sticker on this saw (besides the Made In Germany UPC sticker on the front) is the one on the chain brake handle shown above. It seems to indicate it meets Europe emissions, but honestly I have no idea what it's telling me...

And that's what my first question is; I see there's no spark screen or anything in the muffler - can someone tell me if that's the only difference in this saw and one made for the US market? (Is the muffler less constricted?)

Would they otherwise be identical power-wise?

Also I would really appreciate it if someone could take a look at the SN in the picture above and let me know when this saw was made? I think they were produced up until 2009 or 10 but not really sure.

Thanks in advance for the help!

View attachment 719454 View attachment 719455 View attachment 719456 View attachment 719457

I feel like I won the lottery!!!!

I bought this NOS MS361 that was listed here by a fellow member. Could not believe it was still available.

It was PHO and in my haste I ordered a 16" GB Arbor PRO. I actually kind of wanted to go 18" on this saw but this bar was reasonable and I felt like I could maybe just go to the Stihl dealer down the line and pick up an ES bar in 18".

I was able to find a couple Stihl loops of 36RSC60 for now to run this current set-up.

Turns out this saw was meant for the Mexico market I think, the owners manual is in Spanish and I think the box itself indicated as much. So I don't really have a manual I can thumb through, but the internet makes it darn easy these days anyway.

The only sticker on this saw (besides the Made In Germany UPC sticker on the front) is the one on the chain brake handle shown above. It seems to indicate it meets Europe emissions, but honestly I have no idea what it's telling me...

And that's what my first question is; I see there's no spark screen or anything in the muffler - can someone tell me if that's the only difference in this saw and one made for the US market? (Is the muffler less constricted?)

Would they otherwise be identical power-wise?

Also I would really appreciate it if someone could take a look at the SN in the picture above and let me know when this saw was made? I think they were produced up until 2009 or 10 but not really sure.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Saw was made in 2017, it is an European model which conforms to European standards (all products sold in Europe must conform, and show the CE mark and show sound output in decibels ) as far as I can tell, the engine is identical to the US model, power output would probably be greater due to the less restricted exhaust (no screen) you really have won the lottery, I run the smaller ms341 model and I absolutely love it!!

Thank you very much. I don't even know why I thought they weren't made past '09 or '10, but I did, and so when I saw the 03.2017 denote on that chain brake sticker I initially thought man that has to be a date, but then self talked myself out of it and began to assume it was just coincidence that it looked like a date, because after all .... they weren't making them anymore. Riiiiiiight.....

Well anyway, thanks for straightening me out and for quick reply Tobystihl. I'm really happy to own it.

@SawTroll used to say that the Euro 361’s we’re stronger than the ones sold in the US but I can’t confirm that.
Either way you got a beautiful saw.

The (German made) MS361 was rated at 3.4 kW/4.6 hp over here, and in most of the world. It was the VB made US version that came with a different cylinder and muffler (no doubt for EPA reasons), and was rated a little lower.

Thank you very much. I don't even know why I thought they weren't made past '09 or '10, but I did, and so when I saw the 03.2017 denote on that chain brake sticker I initially thought man that has to be a date, but then self talked myself out of it and began to assume it was just coincidence that it looked like a date, because after all .... they weren't making them anymore. Riiiiiiight.....

Well anyway, thanks for straightening me out and for quick reply Tobystihl. I'm really happy to own it.

The MS361 still is made, likely in Brazil (like several other "older" models, by both Stihl and Husky).
The current version shares the specs. with the original German made version, despite not all parts are exactly the same.

The Brazilian made older models (from both brands) basically are made for 3rd world markets, that usually have less restrictive emission rules than North America, EU, etc.
Exceptions has happened though.

Here's the muffler mod I made up for my MS361. I ended up blocking the rear port and added a second bar side mounted port with a screen so it wouldn't light my world on fire. I now sell these as kits on fleabay. Congratulations on the beautiful saw buy.

mufflerMS361.jpg

b5fc7fbf2dd716f334ea778a04e0db82.jpg

The ‘no screen’ quick flap.

We've been in the deep-freeze around here lately, so I have yet to even fuel it up. When we get a break I'll put it in wood and I'll probably have to think about a MM after that.

I have an MS362 so I probably needed this like not at all..., but I wanted it!

If I was taking too much time deliberating about whether or not to buy something (gun, knife, saw, etc) My brother-in law used to tell me "...Hey, if ya want it - ya need it"!

I guess I needed it after all!!!

Latest posts

Back