How long do you cut your wood? POLL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What size do you cut your wood?

• 14in or smaller

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • 15in

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • 16in

Votes: 70 35.7%
  • 18in

Votes: 41 20.9%
  • 20in

Votes: 30 15.3%
  • 22in

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • 24in or larger

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Other sizes...State Below

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Mixture of all the above

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Don't really care

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
spydrmonkey

spydrmonkey

16" all day long for me. My groundmen yelled up at me when I took it upon myself to fell a few foot longs down to them. It was kinda funny watching my ocd/perfectionalist helper get mad over the 4 inches missing.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

spydrmonkey

spydrmonkey

Question to OP or anyone really. Do you find it easier to top the tree and have the ground men chop it up and while they do that cut it up as you climb down or just everyone have at it when the wood is all down?

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

tla100

tla100

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I can fit 24" and try to go around 20" or so. Always end up with some shorties, or I will split the difference once i get close to the end of log and try to make them somewhat even length. I haven't had any yet that were too long and didn't fit...

Wood Doctor
I remember attending a convention at the Kellogg Center at the University of New Hampshire. Using a wood fireplace, they heated the huge dining room in there that had at least a 30' ceiling and could seat 200 people. The logs were no less than 48" long and I believe they were likely closer to 60". Two men dropped them in, one at a time. There was no shortage of heat.

I wonder if it's still there. Anybody know?

Marine5068

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I remember attending a convention at the Kellogg Center at the University of New Hampshire. Using a wood fireplace, they heated the huge dining room in there that had at least a 30' ceiling and could seat 200 people. The logs were no less than 48" long and I believe they were likely closer to 60". Two men dropped them in, one at a time. There was no shortage of heat.

I wonder if it's still there. Anybody know?
sounds cool. wish i saw that.

Backyard Lumberjack
I remember attending a convention at the Kellogg Center at the University of New Hampshire. Using a wood fireplace, they heated the huge dining room in there that had at least a 30' ceiling and could seat 200 people. The logs were no less than 48" long and I believe they were likely closer to 60". Two men dropped them in, one at a time. There was no shortage of heat. I wonder if it's still there. Anybody know?

> The logs were no less than 48" long and I believe they were likely closer to 60".

reminds me of visiting Henry Ford's home at Fair Lane, in Dearborn MI... 60" and larger, the 'stix' (logs) were placed in from behind the front hearth by house staff members. took two!....

Wood Doctor
> The logs were no less than 48" long and I believe they were likely closer to 60".

reminds me of visiting Henry Ford's home at Fair Lane, in Dearborn MI... 60" and larger, the 'stix' (logs) were placed in from behind the front hearth by house staff members. took two!....
I recall that fireplace in New Hampshire very well. It was about 1978 when I was there. Since then, the student union may have been renamed and is no longer the Kellogg center. I haven't been able to nail down a Pic to post here.

The table I sat at was about 30' away from the hearth, and the heat radiated out like a blast furnace. They accepted weekly deliveries of hardwood from some guy with a dump truck. A lot of it was brown and black birch. None was split, and if I remember right they said they paid $150 a load for it. I imagine that's over two cords in a load, but back then, $150 was a good chunk of change. In '77 I could buy unsplit green cordwood for $40 a pickup truck load in Connecticut.

Mives4510

Mives4510

ArboristSite Lurker
My owb can take 4 ft long logs. I did that last winter loading by hand...... Needless to say this year I built a log splitter and started cutting about 22in and splitting. Much easier to load owb now

JeffHK454

JeffHK454

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Since I'm a scrounge I don't always get to pick sawed lengths but that doesn't keep me from dragin it home and workin it up. If I'm doing my own dropping/bucking I shoot for 18" but As long as it's not longer than my fire box I don't really pay much attention to tell the truth.

My stacks vary from 8"-24".....luckily I'm not anal retentive like some around here who feel the need to measure logs before they saw them as they'd loose there mind looking at my wood pile..:laugh:!

Wood Doctor
I have to wonder if common truck bed sizes have anything to do with log length. My truck has a 6' bed and I like to make four rows of logs at about 18" apiece. Some guys have an 8' long bed and can get 6 rows at 16" apiece on it. The truck bed size may have more to do with log length than the target fireplace or stove. Any comments on that hypothesis?

Latest posts