How long do you wait?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Al Weber said:
Hopefully I have attached one photo of the entertainment center. The design is mine but taken liberally from a number of commercially available ones. The rear panels are held in place with inset magnets and all wires and cables are inside the unit.

If there is no photo, I have to try again. I'm somewhat new to the process.

Howdy and welcome, Al. Nice work!

I like the wide plank flooring, too. What is it?

I MUCH prefer to Anchorseal the end of the log ASAP after sawing the log out. This will get you more lumber out of the log, and it also will use LESS Anchorseal... Not to mention it's MUCH easier to do it then.

You can see it on the cant in the pict.. and as i saw out the boards they are "already" coated...

Rob

picture.JPG

Sawyer Rob said:
I MUCH prefer to Anchorseal the end of the log ASAP after sawing the log out. This will get you more lumber out of the log, and it also will use LESS Anchorseal... Not to mention it's MUCH easier to do it then.

You can see it on the cant in the pict.. and as i saw out the boards they are "already" coated...

Rob

picture.JPG

How long does it take to dry, anyway?? My wood is in BFE compared to where I am now, so I like to do as much as possible every trip up there. Maybe I should just cut & seal everything this trip instead of cut & mill.

Wood Floors

aquan8tor said:
Nice work. Al, what wood is the floor made of?? Dig the wide boards. Very nice.
The floors are eastern white pine. The house dates back to 1810 and most of the flooring is original except for a dining area that I redid a year ago in wide white pine also. I have flooring that is 28" in a back bedroom.

I just found this site a few months ago and since I plan to retire at the end of this year, I'm thinking maybe I'll buy a portable mill to resaw some of the trees we have on the property. I currently have about 5 logs (maple and oak) I cut late summer stored under cover and those would be the first ones to practice on. We have 90+ acres, mostly wooded, and since my woodworking hobby costs a lot of money for wood from dealers, I am thinking I can pay for the mill in a couple of years. I had a young fellow from the area resaw the cherry used in the cabinet on a band mill and he wasn't expensive but the hassle of scheduling and moving logs from the woods to a place he can get to with the large mill is a hassle. Haven't decided on a mill yet so I keep coming back here for the experience of others. Been thinking of a Logosol but that could change.

al

Hey AL I have a logosol bigmill basic and am very please with it. The thing I like about the bigmill basic is that you can attach right to the log or you can build your own platform and have something like a m7

Al,

If you do decide on a chainsaw mill instead of a bandmill, the Logosol Woodworkers Mill or M7 is nice. I started with their TimberJig in May 2005 and upgraded to the WWM mill this summer.

The WWM mill is still portable (85 lbs without saw), but allows you to stand up while sawing and doesnt require you to push the saw through the wood. You can cut a lot longer without getting tired with this mill. The resulting boards are excellent right off the mill.

I use a Husqvarna 385XP saw with 16 and 24" bars running Logosol chain (Stihl 63PMX narrow pico chain).

Regards,

Ted

How long does it take to dry, anyway??

I never timed it.... but probable an hour or so.... You can slop it on and then mill right through it without any problems at all...

Rob

Milling

TedChristiansen said:
Al,

If you do decide on a chainsaw mill instead of a bandmill, the Logosol Woodworkers Mill or M7 is nice. I started with their TimberJig in May 2005 and upgraded to the WWM mill this summer.

The WWM mill is still portable (85 lbs without saw), but allows you to stand up while sawing and doesnt require you to push the saw through the wood. You can cut a lot longer without getting tired with this mill. The resulting boards are excellent right off the mill.

I use a Husqvarna 385XP saw with 16 and 24" bars running Logosol chain (Stihl 63PMX narrow pico chain).

Regards,

Ted
Thanks for the feedback. I was leaning toward the WWM because of the cranking system. I'm finding that the more work I can do with mechanical assists, the better. I have equipment to lift logs onto the supports and I'd rather work at standing height instead of in the mud. I will likely need to buy a larger saw at the same time as I currently have just a FarmBoss and a smaller Stihl 019 unit. The FarmBoss is likely on the very edge of being usable due to it's limited size. I'm waiting for next spring to make the buy as I'm not as immune to cold weather anymore.

Back