How long to cure?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggiesmaster

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Last week a big oak fell right beside my cabin, missing it by about 10 ft. If I cut firewood from it next weekend, how soon will it be dry enough to safely and efficiently burn? This wood prob. isn't big enough to split--I'll cut up the big stuff later in the fall when the temps are cooler (it's 90 deg. here in AR now).

Oak takes a very long time to dry out-very long. And if you're not going to split some of the pieces it'll take even longer! I'd split some of it and see how wet/dry it is; the more "aroma" that it has the wetter that it is. I don't know if it fell because it was dying or other reasons, but I don't think that it will be ready in time for this Winter but I may be wrong. Split some and see how wet it is-good luck!

Last week a big oak fell right beside my cabin, missing it by about 10 ft. If I cut firewood from it next weekend, how soon will it be dry enough to safely and efficiently burn? This wood prob. isn't big enough to split--I'll cut up the big stuff later in the fall when the temps are cooler (it's 90 deg. here in AR now).

Cut it and split it now. The smaller you split it the quicker it will dry if you keep it exposed to the sun and wind.

I don't know how your oak is but if I want dry oak for winter I try to have it all stacked for seasoning by the first of June.

Cut it and split it now. The smaller you split it the quicker it will dry if you keep it exposed to the sun and wind.

I don't know how your oak is but if I want dry oak for winter I try to have it all stacked for seasoning by the first of June.

The man from California has nailed it.:cheers: Same here in Downeast Maine: cut in winter, split and stack over the summer for next winter's heat. Some of our betters :cry: are two years ahead.

I've heard 3 years for white oak.

I've seen it cut in the morning , split in the afternoon and burned that night too. That doesn't mean I would want to do either. As dry as it stays here if it's split and stacked 3-4 months before winter it is ready to burn when lesser wood won't keep up with the need for heat.

I've seen it cut in the morning , split in the afternoon and burned that night too. That doesn't mean I would want to do either. As dry as it stays here if it's split and stacked 3-4 months before winter it is ready to burn when lesser wood won't keep up with the need for heat.

Yep. Nothing needs more than 6mos. drying time here. As long as you've got the stuff in the sun and wind it will be bone dry by winter.

Yep. Nothing needs more than 6mos. drying time here. As long as you've got the stuff in the sun and wind it will be bone dry by winter.

Me to. anything that is split and stacked by july here is ready for winter.

Red and White Oak

Last year my load of logs was 95% red and white oak. It was cut and stacked by memorial day and I didn't cover it till the snow came. It burned great from Oct to April.

Millman

Latest posts

Back