How low do you cut a tree down to a stump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a hook lift truck and if I have a big stump that I can get close to I put the box on the ground next to the stump and push most of the grindings right into the box with the dozer blade. grinder is 66hp 4x4 rayco rg50. I have ground out single stumps that cost as much as $1,000.00 and many a $500.00 stump.

Wow, I'd like to see his grinder. When I do a 48" stump, I get about 2 pickup loads of chips and I don't go that deep, maybe 6" on average. Maybe my grinder fluffs them up, LOL:monkey:

Your average pickup truck has a 8' x 4' bed (between the wheel wells), with an average width of 64". Filled flat & level to 20", that would be 71 cubic feet, or about 12 wheelbarrow loads (6 cu.ft. each) per pickup load. Quite a bit more if you pile it high and stomp it down. Of course, those calculations are for a wheelbarrow that is only filled flat & level.

Carefully measure a couple of stumps, grind them, measure the rakings, and then you will be able to predict how much mulch you will generally get.
(I don't ever measure close, 'cause you know you have to grind it, and you know there will be a lot of chips on a big stump)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back