How low do you cut a tree down to a stump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My proposals say "ground level means 10% of stump diameter. 30" dia., 3" off ground." I also state that rocks, foreign objects and root flare may prevent us from cutting below those obstacles.

flush cut

Flush cut above dirt,rock,metal post level. May be 1-8inches above ground to clear obstacles. Otherwise statement says flush cut above dirt. Those who grind stump by the inch are crazy. Very little profit to made.

Those who grind stump by the inch are crazy. Very little profit to made.

At $6 an inch it`s not so bad. And we used to measure the full flare and include any roots we had to chase. So a 20 inch tree might be 30 inches with the flare, and more with any roots. That``s $180+. Not bad. And no way it takes more than an hour and a half..

It`s not that it didn`t pay well enough, it was just a PITA for us to do and there wasn`t that much demand from the customers.

Final cut depends on the stump and the area around it .
If it's dirty with a big root rise,I will right down on the proposal
"final cut to be x amount of inches above grade"

Like others have said,why should I ruin a sharp chain because they don't want the stump ground?
Let it rot ,or let me grind the stump.

PS :agree2: with the poster who said it's not good to grind stumps by the inch,,,tooo many variables.

Last edited:
I think the most important thing here is how well have you dicussed the work to be done with the customer. I learned the hard way if you don't explain every aspect of the job clearly and make sure customer understands, your gonna have conflict. PUT EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!

When you say "free with the removal" you mean, of course, that the cost of grinding the stump is included in the cost of removing the tree?
For me it has become difficult to gage the market. Since emerald ash borer hit the great lakes & Ontario the competition has skyrocketed. I am hoping this season the good companies will start to see the unqualified competition fall apart.

For me it has become difficult to gage the market. Since emerald ash borer hit the great lakes & Ontario the competition has skyrocketed. I am hoping this season the good companies will start to see the unqualified competition fall apart.

Never heard of the emerald ash borer. (Google will be my friend.)

After the Great Ice Storm of '98, every bozo not on a leash bought a saw and went into business. The true bozos didn't last, the slightly smarter bozos ended up selling out a year or two later because all the fancy gear they bought and had to pay for, you know, had to be paid for. Too much overhead too fast and no client base once the storm damage was dealt with. They went boobs up as well.

We have competition, but we have a healthy client base, and our overhead is rock bottom and we can dance through the lean months.

After the Great Ice Storm of '98, every bozo not on a leash bought a saw and went into business. The true bozos didn't last, the slightly smarter bozos ended up selling out a year or two later because all the fancy gear they bought and had to pay for, you know, had to be paid for. Too much overhead too fast and no client base once the storm damage was dealt with. They went boobs up as well.

We have competition, but we have a healthy client base, and our overhead is rock bottom and we can dance through the lean months.
I think Canucks are all-rite. bet it's cold climbing in Quebec.

When you hit steel

In what way?

I'm certainly not looking for an argument, just interested in hearing how other people view the job.

Do you include the mound of soil/roots around the stump when you are measuring for a price? I would definately include the root flare. I have never done it by the inch, but I am seriously considering it so I dont have to drive 40 kilometers (90? miles) for a stump estimate.

Also, what do you guys do when ya find a thick chunk of steel in the stump. Ever walk away and say "sorry, no can do."?

ash borer

Your in Quebec? Those little shiny green beatles will be crossing the state line this season. They were in Ottawa last season (2009). I am near Windsor/Detroit and I would say 93% of our Ash are dead. They killed over 1 million ash in my county (essex) alone! It is terrible, but I`ve been swamped with work, and still am now in the middle of January.

Ever hear of the Asian LongHorn Beatle?

Do you include the mound of soil/roots around the stump when you are measuring for a price? I would definately include the root flare. I have never done it by the inch, but I am seriously considering it so I dont have to drive 40 kilometers (90? miles) for a stump estimate.

We would measure the full flare and add $50 or whatever if we thought we would have to chase roots around. We were never conservative about pricing stumps except for good clients or big jobs where you were willing to give an inch in order to gain a foot.

Also, what do you guys do when ya find a thick chunk of steel in the stump. Ever walk away and say "sorry, no can do."?

Interesting. No, never found a chuck of steel, just rocks. Lots and lots of rocks. :cry:

I think Canucks are all-rite.

Well thank you. And I think y'all Americans are top shelf. :cheers:

et it's cold climbing in Quebec.

Yeah, my climber was complaining a bit today. He gets sweaty feet (gross) so he wears leather boots with no insulation for climbing, but all that steel in the spurs conducts cold like a magnet and his feet get pretty chilly.

I always tell him he'll get no sympathy from me except for his fingers. When it friggin cold, -20c, and he's up there with thin gloves so he can keep a good grip, I tell ya, I can feel the pain fifty-feet below. You have to be tough to do that.

Well thank you. And I think y'all Americans are top shelf. :cheers:

Yeah, my climber was complaining a bit today. He gets sweaty feet (gross) so he wears leather boots with no insulation for climbing, but all that steel in the spurs conducts cold like a magnet and his feet get pretty chilly.

I always tell him he'll get no sympathy from me except for his fingers. When it friggin cold, -20c, and he's up there with thin gloves so he can keep a good grip, I tell ya, I can feel the pain fifty-feet below. You have to be tough to do that.
I cannot imagine what that kind of cold is like.

If you want to price stump grinding by the inch, it should be square inches and not inches in diameter. A 24 inch diameter stump has almost 4 times the area of a 12 inch diameter stump. I can get $350 to grind a 24 inch diameter stump. From what I have observed on the different tree forums, stump grinding in most areas of the continental US is really cheap.

In what way?

Too many variables:hardwood,softwood,stringy palms,is stump cut flush to ground to begin with ,or is it a 6 inch toe stopper ,exposed roots that must be chased half way across the yard????????
Any of these could be the case when potential client calls and ask
"How much to grind a 16 in stump?"

Maybe $50.....Maybe $150 ...all depends

I'm certainly not looking for an argument, just interested in hearing how other people view the job.

No offense taken.

If you want to price stump grinding by the inch, it should be square inches and not inches in diameter. A 24 inch diameter stump has almost 4 times the area of a 12 inch diameter stump. I can get $350 to grind a 24 inch diameter stump. From what I have observed on the different tree forums, stump grinding in most areas of the continental US is really cheap.

:agree2:
A 24 in stump is not always the same as 2 12in stumps.

Back