How many cords do you guess

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guido Salvage: couldn't take them to the mill.... these trees are coming out of an old trailer park. there is so much metal in here it's crazy. And there is only a tie mill around here. not paying that much. Yes we will sell it as green, but we are fully informing the customers. folks around here just use the wood for the looks more than the heat. most have gas starters...

really we're getting started to have a jamming year next year.

more pics

Here are some pics from yesterdays splitting... I took some video, but having trouble with it.

I don't have picture of the pile at end of day. I will pull one from a video sometime today..

We have to quarter the big rounds first on the TW-5 so they fit in the block buster.. but once in the block buster... It's all she wrote...

DSC02475.JPG

DSC02476.JPG

DSC02477.JPG

DSC02481.JPG

DSC02482.JPG

DSC02483.JPG

Here are some pics from yesterdays splitting... I took some video, but having trouble with it.

I don't have picture of the pile at end of day. I will pull one from a video sometime today..

We have to quarter the big rounds first on the TW-5 so they fit in the block buster.. but once in the block buster... It's all she wrote...

DSC02475.JPG

DSC02476.JPG

DSC02477.JPG

DSC02481.JPG

DSC02482.JPG

DSC02483.JPG

Looks like someone's getting serious about the firewood biz!:bowdown:
That's a pretty damn impressive setup... The Cajun country has a new wood supplier!

A cord is a stack of wood that is 4 feet tall, 4 feet wide and 8 feet long. In three dimensions, this adds up to 128 cubic feet. A tightly packed cord is about 80% wood and 20% air, so you're looking at 102.4 cubic feet of actual wood per tightly packed cord.

The volume of a cylinder is 3.14159xradius (squared)xheight. Just say it as "pie R squared H."

So, a single log that is 2 feet in diameter (1 foot radius) and 24 feet long will occupy a volume of: 3.14159x1x24=75 cubic feet, or about 3/4 cord. If you have five of them, some slightly smaller than 2 feet diameter, you're looking at about 15/4 cords or slightly less than 4 cords.

Best of luck with the firewood biz!

Great answer. Off the top of my head I expect to get at least a cord from a 24" tree around here. Those 5 logs should be a little short of that, since there are no branches. with no math involved I would have said about 4.

A little quicker and eaiser for me

Dia sqed x lenght x .75

2x2 =4 x 25 = 100 x .75 = 75 cubic ft per log x number of logs

Ymmv

Your cutting the logs to length, running through a Timber wolf, then feeding them through the blockbuster?

Sounds like the Department of Redundancy Department.

What model is that BB? Or is this a one time effort due to size? Tell the cutters to only bring home 22" trees. :laugh:

final real world answer???

Just curious as to what it came out to stacked after splitting.. you know the easy to measure neat rectangular stack of (Height" X Width" X Length") / 128...

and my guess --- and only a guess, is 3.33

johncinco: yes it seems redundent, but the logs are too big to put through the blockbuster... We cut them and quarter them on the slower (but capable) TW5. Then we through the quarters in the BB which has a 4-5 sec cycle time... it's not as nice as putting them on the live deck moving them to the trough, moving forward to an 18" cut, cutting, dropping, ramming them through a 6-way and out the conveyor... that's the way I like it..

newmexico: don't have real world answer yet. Now everyone needs to go back & look at the original pictures.... there is the truck load, there are some by the TW5 & there is a picture of some split that previous day, all from same track of land

PICT0005.JPG

PICT0015.JPG

PICT0016.JPG

Here's an update

Well up 'till now we have put out 5.5 cords out of the pile of logs so far. I don't know if you've been watching the news, but it's has gotten as cold as heck here. Well for us... We had to stop splitting from that pile b/c we couldn't keep up with the orders, so we went to splitting a log truck full of smaller stuff, that would go through the processor...

Here is a picture of about what is left to be split from this project.

DSC02496.JPG

i'm gonna try to put some video up soon...

johncinco: sorry earlier, the BB is a 18-20.. 18" is what it's good for. 20" will fit if slick. Problem is that wood that big still has to be double split. if you take a 18" log and split it on a 6 way... it still has 9" from center to edge. Folks around here get really pissy about "big"wood.

You orginally posted just the trailer load with log deminison and that is what everbody was responding to, now you've changed the game....:confused:

WidowMaker: nope.. the original pics i just reposted. i only gave the dimensions of the logs on the trailer, but pics of the rest of the logs and the split...

Sorry for confustion..

It's finished

Ok guys & gals... The total for all the wood on this little project is 7 1/2 cords. All but 1 cord is sold off the conveyor. Not bad for free (well free as it gets)

Will post video tomorrow...

Nice pictures.. Thanks for sharing them..

BTW.. Whats cold for you guys down there?? Cold here is -30f

Cold down here is in the 30's, that's +30. It doesn't take it being too cold for panic to shut down. They have actually closed school because it might snow or ice.

On the other hand, when it's 95 w/ 90% humidity, we don't mind it...

Latest posts

Back