How many cords on a log truck and pup trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkeyslayer

Smells Great
Reaction score
My parents have a 50 acre woodlot that was selectively harvested 2 years ago, and would like the slash (firewood) trees cut out. I will be going to walk the bush on wed. but am guessing there will be 100+ full cord of wood there including the large branches from the tops. The problem I have is the bush is an 1 1/2 hours from my house. I was thinking I would go up there for a week or so and cut and skid the wood to a landing, then hire a log truck to bring it home for processing. I called around today and got a price of $80 an hour for a log truck with a pup trailer. So I figure there will be 3 hours travel time and 2 hours for loading and unloading and 1 hour leeway in my figuring for a total of $480. Wood generally sells for $200 a full chord delivered around here. So I would like to know how many cords fit on the truck to decide if it would be profitable enough for me to go ahead with it.

Thanks in advance:)

Last edited:
log cordage varies to where you are located! some areas allow 20 cords i hear? most pulp haulers here in centeral minn. can only carry 10 to 12 cords(4x4x8). the going rate is also a variable, depends on work or lack of.. last i had hauled was 12.00 per cord plus fuel for a 12 cord load. this also was done on a return trip from the log haulers mill run, so shop around . haulers like to have a load both ways!!:cheers:

Log trucks around here with truck and trailer yield on average around 12 cords of wood cut and split . Some guys who take their time and only put on only straight logs can load as much as 15 or so. If you are within 150km of Oshawa, and are interested in selling the logs PM me. I am buying loads of logs now for next year and can arrange trucking to my location . Maybe we can work something out.

Ask the hauler how much weight he usually hauls. Then do the math, a cord of green oak weighs around 5800#. figure it at 3 tons to be on the safe side.

It depends on how many axels are on the rig, (and their spacing) which determines how much licence the mto allows, then what the truck tares at. Then the species of wood, then .......

We haul 44000 kgs plus 10% in the winter mouths on a truck + 5 axel trailer that tares at 19000 kg clean. If the truck is a self loader it will loose some for the loader. Truck with pup configurations can get up this high, but the best is to ask the trucker.
For our American friends thats @ 44000 lb tare and 148000 gross in the winter.
20 or 23 cords is about average.
Ken

It depends on how many axels are on the rig, (and their spacing) which determines how much licence the mto allows, then what the truck tares at. Then the species of wood, then .......

We haul 44000 kgs plus 10% in the winter mouths on a truck + 5 axel trailer that tares at 19000 kg clean. If the truck is a self loader it will loose some for the loader. Truck with pup configurations can get up this high, but the best is to ask the trucker.
For our American friends thats @ 44000 lb tare and 148000 gross in the winter.
20 or 23 cords is about average.
Ken

I was kind of hoping that it would be in the 20 cord range, due to the fact I was told the truck and pup would hold 4 stacks of 12' logs. And I would guess that the logs would be piled 8' high, giving approximatly 6 cords per pile x 4 piles - gaps and airspace due to crooked logs = 20 cord.

Thanks for the input. :cheers:

One thing to check is if you can even move it with the EAB restrictions.

I talked to the Canadian food inspection agency today, and because I am in a quarantine zone and so is the woodlot, no problems moving the wood. I am thinking about keeping the ash seperate anyway just so I can sell the other species of hardwood outside the quarantine zone.

I was kind of hoping that it would be in the 20 cord range, due to the fact I was told the truck and pup would hold 4 stacks of 12' logs. And I would guess that the logs would be piled 8' high, giving approximatly 6 cords per pile x 4 piles - gaps and airspace due to crooked logs = 20 cord.

Thanks for the input. :cheers:

I didn't know 4 -12's existed in Ontario until last year. I now know a guy that has one near Tilsonburg but not for $80/hour.
Most tri-axle/pups are 4 x 100 inches or 8'4" which is a size the pulp mills like.You should get close to 20 if the logs are 12 foot.
200 dollars a cord cut and split??? Happy cutting

I didn't know 4 -12's existed in Ontario until last year. I now know a guy that has one near Tilsonburg but not for $80/hour.
Most tri-axle/pups are 4 x 100 inches or 8'4" which is a size the pulp mills like.You should get close to 20 if the logs are 12 foot.
200 dollars a cord cut and split??? Happy cutting

The truck is near Tillsonburg and they only have one that will hold 4 x 12'. Wood goes for $65 a face 16" delivered locally around here. The best I have done on wood is $100 a face all cherry delivered to a cottage on long point bay. Usually it is $55 a face picked up.

After I walk the bush tomorrow I will know better how much wood is there, and what kind of time frame it will take to cut and skid, I will go from there. But the trucking part seems to be a non-issue as I figure it will cost around $13 a face to have it delivered to my place for processing.

This is kind of a big decision for me because I am looking into purchasing a 4wd tractor loader with grapple, timber winch and 5 ton trailer. So I would like it to pay for itself in 2 years.

Log skidders are a dime a dozen up here right, if you would rather have that then a tractor.
I could help you out with a skidding winch if you want.
Ken

The truck is near Tillsonburg and they only have one that will hold 4 x 12'. Wood goes for $65 a face 16" delivered locally around here. The best I have done on wood is $100 a face all cherry delivered to a cottage on long point bay. Usually it is $55 a face picked up.

After I walk the bush tomorrow I will know better how much wood is there, and what kind of time frame it will take to cut and skid, I will go from there. But the trucking part seems to be a non-issue as I figure it will cost around $13 a face to have it delivered to my place for processing.

This is kind of a big decision for me because I am looking into purchasing a 4wd tractor loader with grapple, timber winch and 5 ton trailer. So I would like it to pay for itself in 2 years.

That truck driver wouldn't be a French guy named Serge would it?? Super guy if it is.
Hardwood is 325 minimum here and Toronto is way more. I'm surprised wood is so cheap in Western Ont.

Where is the wood,if you don't mind.

Last edited:
That truck driver wouldn't be a French guy named Serge would it?? Super guy if it is.
Hardwood is 325 minimum here and Toronto is way more. I'm surprised wood is so cheap in Western Ont.

Where is the wood,if you don't mind.

No its not Serge his truck is off the road right now. I hang out a bit with his son, and right now they are not logging. The woodlot is about 1/2 hour west of London. If I could find a contract for the city I would definately consider it, because the money is so much better. That is the reason I will keep all the ash seperate, that way I can work with the Canadian food inspection agency to transport wood out of the quarantine zone if I get hooked up in a city.

Personally I would not mess with the ash. I would leave it in the woods. My brother has all kinds of loggers trying to get him to buy ash and he is refusing because he talked with the state forester in NY and they say a full ban is coming. Not sure when but they are working on the inspection/fines system right now. Once that is in place they will shut down all movement of ash. He could get stuck with the processing and log costs if he processes any ash and so he said to skip all ash. He just rejected an entire load because the guy tried to sneak some ash logs into his pile.

With loggers begging for work right now and the cost of logs being at an all time low, there is no need to risk spending time and money on an asset that may not be able to be sold.

FYI - Toronto east to Northumberlnd County line is now part of EAB quarrantine area. As far as I know you can legally move Ash firewood within the entire area. I had a guy from Canada Food Inspection Agency pay me a visit a cople of months ago to provide me with information. He saw an ad I had on Kijiji. Big Brother is out there watching !

FYI - Toronto east to Northumberlnd County line is now part of EAB quarrantine area. As far as I know you can legally move Ash firewood within the entire area. I had a guy from Canada Food Inspection Agency pay me a visit a cople of months ago to provide me with information. He saw an ad I had on Kijiji. Big Brother is out there watching !

Good to know, thanks:cheers:

No its not Serge his truck is off the road right now. I hang out a bit with his son, and right now they are not logging. The woodlot is about 1/2 hour west of London. If I could find a contract for the city I would definately consider it, because the money is so much better. That is the reason I will keep all the ash seperate, that way I can work with the Canadian food inspection agency to transport wood out of the quarantine zone if I get hooked up in a city.

Serge's son just graduated from Fleming with an arbor-type degree if I recall. We've never met but I recall Serge having to hurry back to the bush last winter to make sure things were okay.

If you see Serge, ask him about a guy with a crazy-azz fast Dolmar 5100.He'll remember..lol..
I purchase logs from his brother in Northbrook. They work for him while the veneer markets are suckin.
Keep us updated, seems you have the biz figured out,its a lot of work but fun.

Serge's son just graduated from Fleming with an arbor-type degree if I recall. We've never met but I recall Serge having to hurry back to the bush last winter to make sure things were okay.

If you see Serge, ask him about a guy with a crazy-azz fast Dolmar 5100.He'll remember..lol..
I purchase logs from his brother in Northbrook. They work for him while the veneer markets are suckin.
Keep us updated, seems you have the biz figured out,its a lot of work but fun.

Lee works for a local tree service now. I help them out when ever I have a chance. I have only met Serge once, at a big bash they have at their place every summer. They are real nice people!
As for having the biz figured out, I dont know. I have sold smaller amounts of firewood locally for the past 4 years, and logged my bush myself which turned out very profitable for me. But I am laid off now so I am thinking about taking a chance at the firewood biz. I figure if I can pay for my equipment in 1 or 2 years, and get some more clients then it may turn into a full time job. But only time will tell. The 3 woodlots I have lined up for this winter will be enough of a challange, then I will take it from there.
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back