How many cords on a log truck and pup trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[QUOTE

Ken, I have looked at skidders, but for me I think a small tractor and winch would be more the ticket. For one thing I will be able to move it myself with a 5 ton float and my truck. I also own a farm so it will be used for general duty farm work, and if I buy more woodlots I will be going for the low impact angle, as the woodlots will all be selective cut for woodlot management.
Also as stated above can I get a skidder for 3 grand? And how well do the timber winches work? I am looking at an wallenstein fx95 for a 50 horse tractor. Some of the biggest reasons for the timber winch are to pull down trees I get hung up, to pull logs out of gullies, and so I can skid more than 1 or 2 logs at a time. When I cut my bush a couple of years ago the most time consuming part was pulling down hangers, and skidding logs 1 or 2 at a time with the ford 5000. And my neighbour had a clark long beach skidder for the gully trees which he has since sold.

Thanks again for all the input, I have been gaining alot of valuable info here!![/QUOTE]

Playin
Throw a add in kijiji up here they will likely beat your door down. Quite a few of those smaller Clarks around. Heard Ritchies won't even hold a auction up here. They floated a bunch of construction equipment down your way. Figued it ain't worth selling up here. Most of the guys with small cable skidders have pretty much been squeezed out.
I'm sure in a week I could find you several to pick from.

Turkey I know what your saying, and thats a vary valid point. Big machines need big floats and big help if they get stuck or have a flat. But there will be times when the 8000 lb winch on your tractor seems hopelessly underpowered compared to a 30000 or 40000 lb winch on a skidder. You will just have to pull smaller pieces though. The log skidders have kept getting bigger and there is a reason for that.

I'm a dealer with Wallenstein, sell some of their skidsteer equpment. I never used one of their skidding winches but don't see why they would not be 10 times better then jerking on a chain with your tractor. Once you get a log sliding they come not too bad. But the initial tug to get all the limbs bent back and get them coming can be tough.
Ken

Trees that get hung up are a big concern of mine. For example I had a large 30"+ dbh beech get hung up in another beech and it took us most of the day and 2 tractors hooked in tandem the pull it out. Where I think with a winch you could get a little more lift on the butt of the log allowing it to be pulled free alot easier ( because it wouldnt be jamming the butt further into the ground)

Playin
Throw a add in kijiji up here they will likely beat your door down. Quite a few of those smaller Clarks around. Heard Ritchies won't even hold a auction up here. They floated a bunch of construction equipment down your way. Figued it ain't worth selling up here. Most of the guys with small cable skidders have pretty much been squeezed out.
I'm sure in a week I could find you several to pick from.

Turkey I know what your saying, and thats a vary valid point. Big machines need big floats and big help if they get stuck or have a flat. But there will be times when the 8000 lb winch on your tractor seems hopelessly underpowered compared to a 30000 or 40000 lb winch on a skidder. You will just have to pull smaller pieces though. The log skidders have kept getting bigger and there is a reason for that.

[/QUOTE]

Ken I need a skidder like a hole in the head but I will buy one or 5 for 6 grand.I'm serious..Now a 648 is too much for what I have in mind but a 665 or 666 with a Cummins in good shape mechanically,with good tires and chains delivered to my door for 6 to 8 K's and I WILL be writing a cheque. Hell a new ATV is 9 grand.I like toys...
Put an add on Kijiji where, as in geographical location.

Trees that get hung up are a big concern of mine. For example I had a large 30"+ dbh beech get hung up in another beech and it took us most of the day and 2 tractors hooked in tandem the pull it out. Where I think with a winch you could get a little more lift on the butt of the log allowing it to be pulled free alot easier ( because it wouldnt be jamming the butt further into the ground)
Lifting a 30 inch beech is asking quite a bit for Ford 5000 isn't it?? or a 50hp Massey.Especially lifting one straight up
I spent the better part of my early teenage years on a Ford 4000 and a 479 New Holland haybine and I did things with that tractor I would never tell my dad about...but.. Farm tractor logging is hard on gear...
I have seen 5 20 inch whole hardwood trees in a hitch dropped on one side of a beaver pond,skidder mogs through it, and then winches the stems across.
You folks are on real flat ground though.
Sorry I'm just thinking out loud...

Lifting a 30 inch beech is asking quite a bit for Ford 5000 isn't it?? or a 50hp Massey.Especially lifting one straight up
I spent the better part of my early teenage years on a Ford 4000 and a 479 New Holland haybine and I did things with that tractor I would never tell my dad about...but.. Farm tractor logging is hard on gear...
I have seen 5 20 inch whole hardwood trees in a hitch dropped on one side of a beaver pond,skidder mogs through it, and then winches the stems across.
You folks are on real flat ground though.
Sorry I'm just thinking out loud...

Its all good. My thought was with a winch I could raise the lower pull then get relatively close to the hung tree pulling up as I pulled the butt towards the winch. I am sure with the plow of the winch down and the weight of the tractor it would pull better than tugging on it with just a 2wd tractor. I found that when just trying to pull the hung trees even with the diff locked the old ford 5000 would just spin itself in.

Checked it out,leaking transmission a seal of some sort, not sure of the A/C, tires are pooched, blade goes up and down, and the motor starts. Good chains though.
I think I'll stay away

Playin
In Thunder Bay for the ad. Cronical Journal for the paper
The little cable machines were worth 10 k here before the bottom fell out. Even the 648 we bought a year b4 it got real bad. That was a 30 to 35 000 machine 5 years back. I have a buddy with a real nice 540 he been sitting on for 8 years to. Wanted 30k because it had a new engine. He will never get his money out of it. There is a 667 c at the local repair shop, he has over 20 in it to, had to repo it from the customer. 453t in it.
Another 664d converted to Deere power, want 20? for it 2 years ago and I'm sure its still sitting. Owner is pounding nails for local carpenter. Some of these guys won't sell because they won't give it away, but I'm sure there are many that have come to realize it nots going up in value and they are done with it. Time to take your lumps.
Ken

I know whats going on Ken and I thank you for your information.
We are all just chatting, but I informed wifey we might have a new toy that might fit in FIL new barn she said go for it..
If there is a 665 666 would love cable and grapple with chains, cold air, and heat,not leaking, delivered to Eastern Ont and cash is the commodity let me know..

Good luck on finding a cable with heat, let alone air. Even some of the early grapples were open canopy or had the cabs removed as the windows got scratched up.
Otherwise there will be some around. If you want to buy at auction sale prices though you may have to fix a thing or two though. Some of this stuff went for scrap ironlast year because it was worth more that way. Now even the price of scrap is down.
Ken

Good luck on finding a cable with heat, let alone air. Even some of the early grapples were open canopy or had the cabs removed as the windows got scratched up.
Otherwise there will be some around. If you want to buy at auction sale prices though you may have to fix a thing or two though. Some of this stuff went for scrap ironlast year because it was worth more that way. Now even the price of scrap is down.
Ken

Ken all great info,I appreciate, I was hoping I could get a deal on a 648 with slight play in the center pin for 6500...

Let your boys know I'm serious and for real on a good skidder for 7 to 8K delivered.Crazy cheap I know but if they need to flog them.
My skidder expert is just in the moving mode but I think maybe we could fix a few medium sized problems.Send me a pm

Back