How many Cords?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no shortage of wood. I would rather cut too much than too little. But I also don't want 3 cords hanging around another year.

We have a 2460 sq foot house. new construction. R21 in the walls and R38 in the attic.

We do have a lot of windows though.

Around here they call a face cord "A Rick" (Why? I have no figgin Idea) it does cut down on confusion though, A rick is just one row, 4'x8'x20" another thing they have here is a "Pig Pile" Hah, it's just 18 pieces stacked 3 pieces then 3 pieces at a 90*and repeat till you have 18, sells for $20. Thats why I cut my own.

Geez, that's more than a buck a piece!

If I could get a dollar for every piece in my woodshed............................

Me and my family burn about 11 or 12 cords a year, using an outdoor wood furnace.(Central Boiler 5046(?)) Anyway, we have a log cabin made of your common White Pine.(2,100 sq.ft.) Pine and softwood generally have a R-value per inch of 1.25(They are "fluffier" than hardwoods). As opposed to hardwood with has an R-value of .91 per inch. So we are pretty well insulated, with the heat coming from infloor radiant heat. Our house is normally at about 75 to 80 degrees. I cant really comment on your question, as per what another poster said, the insulation has a factor, as well as how many windows, etc. But I can give you guys some info on the cord argument that has arisen:

A cord of wood is generally 4'x4'x8'. Or 128 cubic feet.(4x4x8=128) This includes 40% air space and other variables. A cord of wood has the heating value of one ton of coal, or the heating value of 200 gallons of fuel oil. (Or 7.5 million toothpicks, if that's what your into.) So basically, you could figure that if you had a trailer that was 14' long by 6' high by 6' wide. You could move just about 4 cords at a time.(14'x6'x6'=502/128=3.9)

Just my two cents.

-Austin, 17.

Last edited:
Me and my family burn about 11 or 12 cords a year, using an outdoor wood furnace.(Central Boiler 5046(?)) Anyway, we have a log cabin made of your common White Pine.(2,100 sq.ft.) Pine and softwood generally have a R-value per inch of 1.25(They are "fluffier" than hardwoods). As opposed to hardwood with has an R-value of .91 per inch. So we are pretty well insulated, with the heat coming from infloor radiant heat. Our house is normally at about 75 to 80 degrees. I cant really comment on your question, as per what another poster said, the insulation has a factor, as well as how many windows, etc. But I can give you guys some info on the cord argument that has arisen:

A cord of wood is [BOLD]generally[/BOLD] 4'x4'x8'. Or 128 cubic feet.(4x4x8=128) This includes 40% air space and other variables. A cord of wood has the heating value of one ton of coal, or the heating value of 200 gallons of fuel oil. (Or 7.5 million toothpicks, if that's what your into.) So basically, you could figure that if you had a trailer that was 14' long by 6' high by 6' wide. You could move just about 4 cords at a time.(14'x6'x6'=502/128=3.9)

Just my two cents.

-Austin, 17.

I gotta agree with the dimensions part but not the [BOLD]generally[/BOLD] part. A cord of wood is a measure of volume just as a cup of sugar and a gallon of gas or liter of milk. If you were buying gas at a station would would want to get exactly what you were buying for your money just like buying a liter of milk or adding a cup of sugar. You dont mind gewtting a little more then expected but never less.

OUCH !!! I hope I never loan my trailer to you to haul wood on. 4 cords of wood here weighs 16,000 pounds, more than that , if it is green.

I gotta agree with the dimensions part but not the [BOLD]generally[/BOLD] part. A cord of wood is a measure of volume just as a cup of sugar and a gallon of gas or liter of milk. If you were buying gas at a station would would want to get exactly what you were buying for your money just like buying a liter of milk or adding a cup of sugar. You dont mind getting a little more then expected but never less.

OUCH !!! I hope I never loan my trailer to you to haul wood on. 4 cords of wood here weighs 16,000 pounds, more than that , if it is green.

Haha, good call on the 4 cords part. Id never haul 16,000 pounds of wood on anything short of a dump truck. Unless of course it was well reinforced. I was just throwin' out some figures.

On topic: I was referring to the "standard" cord and the "face" cord.
A face cord is 18"x4'x8'. At least here in the ADKs it is. I dont know about other parts of the country.

Back