How many cut just for fun??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airecon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been asked before or not. How many of you guys don't heat with wood, your not a logger or you don't run a tree service- you just have saws and cut some wood for the fun of it? That's me, I cut a little wood for camp fires and Im wanting to go to a GTG. Then there's a guy at work he's wanting me to come cut with him, he just cuts for campfires and bonfires too. Last year I cut about 10 ricks, which was a lot for me, and sold some. I've thought about cutting some and giving it away to some older folks, but I don't have a splitter.

I think Im going to buy a new saw in case I get to go to a GTG. Im thinking about a Dolmar 5100 or Husky 353 and maybe try and find a Home Depot Makita and "Super Size" it. I could've bought one two weeks ago for $250, but talked myself out of it. One thing I've notice from looking at pics here, a lot of you guys don't talk yourself out of buying saws like I do.:laugh:

So how many of you have saws and cut some wood just for fun?

I heat my houses partly with wood - but cut for fun :greenchainsaw:

I generally cut wood for my dad or I help others cut trees down.

Us and the neighbors have small campfires in the driveways every few weekends but that doesn't use much wood.

I like cutting for fun.

Chris

I cut all my firewood, and firewood for the inlaws, my dad, and a lot for and with my friends. Always fun!

I cut firewood for 4 hours today - big pieces - ran my 260c one hour and the husky 346xp 3 hours - now thats fun (getting to like the husky more and more) - but i now have much more firewood than i can use this winter (and next one too)

Not for fun, but to kind of stay in some sort of physical shape when not much logging is going on. I get paid for it. And then I soak in the hot tub cuz I'm sore afterwards. It is a challenge since I just retook it up over a year ago. And it is nice for anger management. So, not for fun but for pay, and mental and physical well being. Otherwise, it would be spend my time in THE OFFICE. For the same pay, but going crazy. Sometimes it is fun.

mostly i cut firewood(fun) sometimes cutting fallen trees. i have firewood for at least a few years but im still cutting:chainsaw:

wonder why i dont sell firewood since i have 1125 acres of forest on my property:greenchainsaw:

mostly i cut firewood(fun) sometimes cutting fallen trees. i have firewood for at least a few years but im still cutting:chainsaw:

wonder why i dont sell firewood since i have 1125 acres of forest on my property:greenchainsaw:
You need to have a week long AS get together. I'll buy the first keg and a bag of pretzels.

l do enjoy a day in the back 40 getting next years supply of heat. It seems to me that most of my cutting is done testing out an old clunker that I have put back together

Last edited:
I heat with wood only and since my hobbies are always work related anyhow, it works out fine, I can now call cutting wood a money saving hobby, I cannot say that for any of the "other" hobbies I might have. I don't know if this counts for the "fun of it" factor but I have visons of seeing big trees on the sides of roads and peoples yards, and I have this overcoming feeling of going back in the middle of the night just to cut it down. I can see the headlines now "Serial Tree Killer, another oak took a croak":)

You need to have a week long AS get together. I'll buy the first keg and a bag of pretzels.

You charter the plane I'll go along for the ride, always wanted to see Norway...... maybe we could get Troll to show up to, be good to meet the man behind the specs. :D

:laugh: :cheers:

I cut wood for fun and exercise. I also cut to heat my house; I have three years worth of house heating wood stacked in back yard. So now all my cutting is for fun.

I get cranky without cutting wood.

Ethan

I enjoy cutting wood but I think part of the enjoyment is realizing the $$ I'm going to save on the heating bill.

I feel like it is an accomplishment when I have a big pile of wood. I've accomplished saving money by heating with it. I've accomplished some good excercise for my body. One of the most enjoyable things about it is that I've accomplished paying for my heat bill without paying taxes to the government. Well, I might pay some gas and oil taxes but that ain't much.

Back