How many cut just for fun??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine the loggers who run saws 8 hours a day every day don't have a whole lot of fun anymore especially the ones who have been doing it for years. They probably still love their job and would do nothing else. I could be wrong, The two that that i know are pros and do it everyday said it was not fun, It was a job and a tool to get the job done.Most homeowners have fun cause they only cut occasionally. The most replies here have been homeowners. Kinda like me, i have been running a printing press for 40 years and it's not fun anymore. I still enjoy it but it's no fun. It pays the bills and when i retire i don't want to see another printing press.It used to be fun but i'm getting old and cranky.lol I do enjoy running a saw and have many days running one from sunup to sundown. But not everyday.

cuttin' a downed tree

A neighbor of mine wants to get some wood for his dad, and there is a big pin oak that came down in a guy's yard about a mile from me, most of the smaller and medium size stuff is gone but the main trunk is still there and this guy wants it gone. It's about 12 feet long and a good 30" across with knots and stuff. He asked if I wanted to help him out and he would give me some of the wood, I said I had plenty of saws and he was like, "I've got a big saw!" He has a WildThing with an 18" bar and he thinks it;s big! Good thing I got the PP330 and the 575XP, or I'd never get it done. I think I will try out my newly refurbished SXL-AO with a 20" hardnose bar and see how it pulls the chips in big wood. Most real tree guys wouldn't touch a job like this, but I enjoy runing saws and will get some premium firewood out of the deal.

No doubt it is some exercise, but is it good?

It's not a 'balanced' exercise in the sense that both left and right side muscle groups are used equally. Unequal muscular development often results in back and skeletal problems.

Carpel tunnel is a potential hazard.

Breathing the air two feet from a running two stroke engine likely has some pretty serious long term health consequences.

come on dude your bumming me out.

i cut for fun but i get paid for it.

No need to be lopsided, use left and right muscle groups equally if you're wise, vary things easy, just technique learned. The fumes issue is only an issue in dead calm conditions, there's always a breeze in the hills, the carpel tunnel type hassle - some get that sort of thing, some don't, usual just stiff fingers/hands now and again, run a decent smooth saw there's rarely a problem

I cut for fun, for sure, love it.
House heating is all firewood.
Also cut my old mans firewood.
But because of me, alot of people don't need a saw, as out in the bush behind my place there is alot of firewood ready to go, doing my bit for reducing bushfire fuel.

Al.

Having 40 chainsaws to cut 4 cords of wood a year would likely be defined by most people as overkill, so yeah fun is a big component for me. :givebeer:

I do help some friends of mine do their cutting to get some extra saw time in.

The combination of the smells of fresh cut wood and the 2 cycle exhaust after a couple hours of cutting is a favorite of mine. The more I'm covered with it the better. Then just sit and unwind with a couple of cold beers. Life is good!

Also Guilty!

While I do have a fireplace insert and heat with wood for a couple months each year the thermostate gets more action! With chainsaws as a hobby nearly all cutting is done for fun! With a bunch of saws any excuse for getting them some running time is fine with me. Here at home I used 14 saws to do in 6 18" and under maples/cottonwoods. Great fun!
Most of my saws get used when a bunch of us get our firewood permits. ( $20 for two cords from USFS land ) I tend to bully my friends into only using my saws so I can seperate the "Studs from the Duds" and also to showcase those that will be for sale.
attachment.php

Here is a picture of an August trip. Videos of my firewooding for fun can also be found on YouTube under farley9n.......Bob

I heat the house with wood,but i sure enjoy cutting,especially since i got me a Makita DCS7900!! :jawdrop:

:clap:

:givebeer:

Last edited:
No need to be lopsided, use left and right muscle groups equally if you're wise, vary things easy, just technique learned. The fumes issue is only an issue in dead calm conditions, there's always a breeze in the hills, the carpel tunnel type hassle - some get that sort of thing, some don't, usual just stiff fingers/hands now and again, run a decent smooth saw there's rarely a problem

Did you ever notice the bar and chain are on one side of the saw?, and if you use a left hand grip it is impossible to use the saw without having your body inline with the cutting equipment? Thats......DANGEROUS:greenchainsaw:

The more wood I cut to heat the house, the less money goes out of my pocket too by propane, then I have fun spending the money on something else.

Cut too for family and friends and sometimes just to see how fast I can make a saw cut.

The fun I have cutting up my 5ish cords/year is a byproduct of my main goal of saving $$$ on heating. However, long gone are the days when I thought having just one saw to do firewood would be sufficient.

If the unlikely event happened that heating oil dropped to $1/gallon, I'd probably still heat with wood - if only for the fun.

For fun and heating my home...

I just enjoy goin out and hittin the woods and just to get away..Makes me think of my Dad and Granddad alot cause we always in our family heated with wood as our source of heat,gas,,elect. second...I feel sorry at times for some people that live in a city and never had a chance to know what it was like to go out with family and get ready for winter cutting wood...Thats a bond that never dies inside of me...Alot of times I remember my Grandapa gettin on my Dad cause he didnt cut low enough and get on him about the type of wedge he always cut...First time I ever seen a barber chair was this dead oak and it split up about 6 foot high when it fell..We never worn any kinda ppe back then,,,never thought of it....(Prob why I'm half deaf now)...Remember when he traded his Mcculloch 55 to his Stihl 028 and I got pretty upset till I used it the first time,,but now it's mine but will always be my Dad's saw....He teached me to pick what to cut and what to grow too...He was right,,,I play it smart,,these woods here will last my life time and on down...
Sorry I vented....But cuttin for fun ,,,yeah,,,I enjoy it alot,,and a good way to excape this sometimes crappy world we always hear on the media...
Have fun all,,and please be safe.....

I use wood for heat. I'm also part of a "maintenance crew" that takes care of a 30+ acre tree filled property for a non-profit organization.

Did you ever notice the bar and chain are on one side of the saw?, and if you use a left hand grip it is impossible to use the saw without having your body inline with the cutting equipment? Thats......DANGEROUS:greenchainsaw:

Nah, not that way, I mean don't strain one sided, use both upper and lower bar,balance the weight and effort with both arms/shoulders/legs :cool:

Last edited:
It'd definitely more fun when you don't "need" it. Last year I didn't have any ready because we'd just moved into the house in August and I had to scrounge my butt off (punky, green, wet, indeterminate species, as long as it would combust) just to keep jack frost at bay. When the bank account is as empty as the oil tank you have to get the wood in and that takes a lot of the fun out of it.

By contrast, this year I was able to start laying in the wood on time and so, I've had the luxury of being more selective. I've got 8 cords of about 95%+ clean solid oak (red and white in about equal amounts) with the balance in a couple of different maple species. It's a lot more fun this way!:clap:

Back