How many knots do you really need to know?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevybob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
People make a big deal about knowing ever knot under the sun and blah blah blah but, how many knots do you really use in a work environment? I use a figure 8, bowline, running bowline, fishermens knot, and a timber hitch. I understand every knot has it's purpose and place but, I really don't see any reason to need any other knots

If only one its the running bowline. I've figured out the industry pushes climbing gadgets harder than anything I've ever seen. From what I can see in the real world of the tree industry most climbers have never even used a climbing rope all flip lines spikes and old echos. I attended a climbing course with a bunch of burned up wore out hired hand climbers who'd laid down more wood on spikes than most on here. They were scared of ropes... couldn't walk normal their knees n hips were shot from spikes all needed a drink by noon... but could lay the wood down on nasty removals

I think a clove hitch/mid line clove hitch belongs in there.
8ce3.jpg

If only one its the running bowline. I've figured out the industry pushes climbing gadgets harder than anything I've ever seen. From what I can see in the real world of the tree industry most climbers have never even used a climbing rope all flip lines spikes and old echos. I attended a climbing course with a bunch of burned up wore out hired hand climbers who'd laid down more wood on spikes than most on here. They were scared of ropes... couldn't walk normal their knees n hips were shot from spikes all needed a drink by noon... but could lay the wood down on nasty removals

Time to wake up to an evolving industry.

I find it rather remarkable that a knot topic in a climbers forum doesn't seem to mention any of the many variations of the taut line hitch. Ok, one passing mention of the Valdotain tresse; kudo's to Del, but really?

How about two half hitches, or any mention of the many slipped hitches that I consider essential. Square knot is essential, so is the simple sheet bend. (I have no idea why you would need to double one).

Cow hitch (or Lark's head hitch) is so common and simple, you guys may not have even thought of it as a knot. I'll bet all of you are using it regularly on any eye-spliced ropes or slings.

I nearly always put a marl in front of my timber hitch; they are also used by old-school climbers to bind a rope to a somewhat vertical spar when lowering logs without a pulley.

i keep a basic palate of knots after 30 years each one knows its place and my hand ties them before i had time to think too much about it
i have few personal twists for certain needs & end splicing of eyes can still be done but i'd say been awhile since needed

Most frustrating or amazing is the proper tieing of 2 ropes together still eludes me, i surly need to find a method that works & practice this

People make a big deal about knowing ever knot under the sun and blah blah blah but, how many knots do you really use in a work environment? I use a figure 8, bowline, running bowline, fishermens knot, and a timber hitch. I understand every knot has it's purpose and place but, I really don't see any reason to need any other knots

it's not how many knots you know but how well you know those knots!
which knots we need is personal .. most everyone has a slightly different list, but the base knot list are the same.

knots shown in Climber's Companion should be required reading.

i keep a basic palate of knots after 30 years each one knows its place and my hand ties them before i had time to think too much about it
i have few personal twists for certain needs & end splicing of eyes can still be done but i'd say been awhile since needed

Most frustrating or amazing is the proper tieing of 2 ropes together still eludes me, i surly need to find a method that works & practice this

For that, I always teach my groundies a girth hitch on a bight. Easy for them, easy for me once it's up. I always remind them whatever they tie, I have to untie under load once I've hauled it up. For climbers, the most important thing to learn to UNTIE is the newb groundie tangle... i.e. "let's just keep throwing half-hitches on until we feel good, and let the climber figure it out" knot.

Please elaborate

To say that in the 'real world' people only use spurs and fliplines is ridiculous. From what I can see in the real world of the tree industry most climbers have never even used a climbing rope all flip lines spikes and old echos.

From what I see in my area, about 70-80% of the climbing is spurless. As the inventory of large trees requiring removal reduces due to increased ubanization and density, the amount of required spur climbing will also reduce.

In addition, the knowledge of the industry is evolving. For the most part, the use of spurs for pruning and the practice of topping has been curtailed except for the worst of the hacks.

If you're going old school, four. Bowline, running bowline, clove hitch and tautline.
If you're going new school, refer to all knots mentioned above.
throw a couple of half hitches in and I can honestly say that i have done a heck of lot of tree work with those knots. i can accomplish almost any tree job in north central ohio with those knots alone. I havnt used a taughtline in a long time though. But I could if need be.

Latest posts

Back