How many knots do you really need to know?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far, no one has mentioned a good knot for tying onto the ball/hitch of a pickup so that it is as strong as possible, and will not ever bind up. If you think it's a bowline, you are not making the best choice.

i got one for that towball hitch. I'll tie it take pictures as it not in any books i seen and a tad complex to word though but easy nuff to show

i got one for that towball hitch. I'll tie it take pictures as it not in any books i seen and a tad complex to word though but easy nuff to show

many say dont ever tie load to tow ball tis true for reasons but often i will use the hitch as hard point if nothing better about

Rope doubled then put over the ball shaft then a few lazy turns over the live rope side then the end loop goes back though open eye beside the ball , dress it up and your done. You can put load on hard and most often if done right will open after and not bind or snitch

my running 8 is just as good but if u max load it due to small the ball shank dia turn it can work itself tight

IMGP3407.jpg IMGP3408.jpg IMGP3409.jpg IMGP3410.jpg IMGP3411.jpg

I clip biners to the safety chain holes. I prefer to use the recovery hooks on the front though. And i use a bowline then running bowline to tie my ropes together. I use 20,000 lb blocks, 10,000 lb rope, 10,000 choke rated slings, 3/8" quick links and double accessory life rated biners. The only thing i have ever broke was the biners. I've had 2 pickups spinning on 1 setup and i thought for sure the ropes were gonna fail.

That tiny list isn't enough. You cannot effectively tie two lines together with any of those knots, and none of them work for a mid-line knot.

I guess if your talent set does not include needing mid-line knots or joining two ropes, then you won't need those kind of knots. If you limit the knots you are willing to learn, in my humble opinion, then you are limiting your ability to do your job.

So far, no one has mentioned a good knot for tying onto the ball/hitch of a pickup so that it is as strong as possible, and will not ever bind up. If you think it's a bowline, you are not making the best choice.
whats wrong with tying two ropes together with two bowlines? what would you use?

whats wrong with tying two ropes together with two bowlines? what would you use?
Thats what i use on my bull rope. I never had any issues. I suppose the 2 loops make a small bend radius so that could be the weak link. But its stronger than what i am pulling with.

If you are talking about joining two different ropes together i think you should try something called sheet bend, i think the reason they dont use 2 bowline to secure ropes are to avoid rope burn.
Was wondering if clove hitch+2 half hitch or anchorman hitch is good enough on a tow ball ?

I have never had a problem with untying a double bowline.
Jeff

I would say the fig 8 is harder to untie more so than the double Bowline when being pulled with truck, or winch etc.

A double bow, yes be likely. but please try it against a single bow on a log or stump one day, my tests and others found it much same or better and stronger than bowline before it failed.

I was amazed as its so simple to tie

Jolly & I may be talking about a similar arrangement.

In this application I call it a cat's paw rather than a girth hitch. (See photo) Start with a double bowline, but rather than just loop the bight of the bowline over the ball, which makes for one tight bend--a weak point--the cat's paw distributes the stress over a greater portion of the rope, makes a stronger attachment.

DSC00967.JPG

The problem with tying to a ball is the pulling angle limitations

Back