How many peope follow the standards?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was wondering as arborists who follows the safety standards and pruning standards religiously. Also has anyone out there actually been caught by OSHA not using them? I know that working for Bartlett we had a spray tech get caught not wearing is PPE but that's a larger company. I was wondering if any of you small guys have ever been busted by OSHA.

I do my own climbing. I follow the pruning standard religously. However, as the person responsible for the job, at times I will make one handed cuts, occasionally with only one tie in, I don't wear chaps. I occasionally raise tools with my climbing line. To me the pruning standard is more important and enforceable than the safety standard. I mean a top job or spike marks is a more serious breech of ethics or whatever you call it than whether or not all PPE was worn.

rebelman said:
To me the pruning standard is more important and enforceable than the safety standard. I mean a top job or spike marks is a more serious breech of ethics or whatever you call it than whether or not all PPE was worn.
I said here before that some put trees before thier own or others safety, here is proof. Thanks Rebelman, I sure hope you don't have kids or others that need you, your attitude is disturbing, to say the least.

rebelman said:
I do my own climbing. I follow the pruning standard religously. However, as the person responsible for the job, at times I will make one handed cuts, occasionally with only one tie in, I don't wear chaps. I occasionally raise tools with my climbing line. To me the pruning standard is more important and enforceable than the safety standard. I mean a top job or spike marks is a more serious breech of ethics or whatever you call it than whether or not all PPE was worn.

I'm with reb. Anyone who actually reads the standards can see there a lot more "should"s--recommendations--than "shall"s--requirements. So we have leeway, but we have to have good justification for deviating. re the pruning standards, they are up for review until the 25th--find them at the tcia website. Speak now, or hold your peace for another 5 years.

re OSHA, small companies are under their radar.

Re safety vs. trees, that is a nutso dichotomy in the landscape. It may make sense in the bush; I dunno, never worked there. We value both, and consider both.;)

PUclimber said:
How many peope follow the standards?

I was wondering as arborists who follows the safety standards and pruning standards religiously.

And the bible for the safety standards would be the 2006 ISA ANSI Z133 Safety Requirements for Arboricultural Operations, yes?

You're asking, do we follow the standards offered in this booklet in absolute accordance?

TM,
Yes as in do you follow the pruning and bmps to always prune back to laterals and all that good stuff that is listed in the standards. Also do you always wear your PPE and gear meets specs. Always tied in twice when cutting and all that stuff.

Yeahman,
I like your answer a lot.

PU, you are raising about 5 points at once here. Why not cite the standard or the page number of the bmp so we know wtf you are trying to say.

PUclimber said:
always prune back to laterals and all that good stuff that is listed in the standards.
That is Bullfeathers--which standard are you citing here? It is time to read the directions, the ANSI A300 Pruning Standards.

Heading: 2. Cutting an older branch or stem back to a stub in order to meet a defined structural objective…Heading should be considered an acceptable practice…to reach a defined objective.” (ANSI A300 (Part 1)-2001 Pruning 5.7.4.1 and 4.20) Heading cuts are routinely advocated for shrub and fruit tree pruning, bonsai, pollarding and other arboriculture. Selective heading cuts are proper pruning.

The ISA seal says, “Science, Research, Preservation”, good words to work by. Preserving trees is the goal; preserving branches is the first step toward that goal, which can mean cutting back to the first good node. “Topping is done internodal; proper crown reduction is done at nodes, OR at crotches. So the first separation must be nodes—good, internodes—bad.” (Dr. Alex Shigo, A New Tree Biology, p. 458)

Also do you always wear your PPE and gear meets specs.
What specs are you talking about?

Yes i'm talking about the A300 as well as the Z133. Or are you not familiar with those treeser? Cause these are the two sets of ANSI standards that sanction how we do tree work. It's the basis for it all.

PUclimber said:
I was wondering as arborists who follows the safety standards and pruning standards religiously. Also has anyone out there actually been caught by OSHA not using them? I know that working for Bartlett we had a spray tech get caught not wearing is PPE but that's a larger company. I was wondering if any of you small guys have ever been busted by OSHA.

I always adhere to safety standards......for my own good and those around me.

pruning has more grey areas, I like to thing of the A300 as more of a guideline.

The only time I have seen a tree co get busted by OSHA is AFTER an accident (it wasn't pretty)

Yeah, always after the accident there's an investigation ....

.... big fines!

Super UGLY.

And it's always the bosses fault.

The standard line for every bust is .....

Failed to provide a safe work place.

Even if it was the other guys fault.

PUclimber said:
Yes i'm talking about the A300 as well as the Z133. Or are you not familiar with those treeser? Cause these are the two sets of ANSI standards that sanction how we do tree work. It's the basis for it all.
PU, you claimed that the standards say "always prune back to laterals", and I quoted the specific Standards that identify your claim as a Myth.:notrolls2:

If you have something specific to say, first read them, then say it. If you're going to misinterpret ANSI, you aren't promoting Standards but your own Cliff's Notes version. which is BS to say the least.

Nice pic and proper checking there, Eric.

Most you guys are charging 1000 to trim all at once where as I am charging 200 over 5 years.

treeseer said:
PU, you claimed that the standards say "always prune back to laterals", and I quoted the specific Standards that identify your claim as a Myth.:notrolls2:

If you have something specific to say, first read them, then say it. If you're going to misinterpret ANSI, you aren't promoting Standards but your own Cliff's Notes version. which is BS to say the least.

Nice pic and proper checking there, Eric.

You guys are actually in agreement. If crown reduction is the objective, you might prune the main branch back to a stub, with a lateral coming out just before. Personally, I wouldn't cut more than a 4 in. diam branch, depending on the rot resistance of the wood. Aesthetically, the job is bound to look like crap if you cut more than that, unless you like the orchard tree look.

"Pruning" to fat stubs without laterals is the mark of a hacker, because a "lollipop" is not an accepted objective except for uninformed boobs. On the other hand, I have a client with some big silver maples that have been repeatedly lollipoped---they are about 24 in. diam and 25 feet tall---and I am recommending that they be wacked all the way back in the spring. All the cut ends have decay that extends back several feet, and simply won't support more than 3-5 years growth safely.

I wonder if these reductions were to nodes?

Oh, they're heading toward their 2nd year now and no re-growth yet. :confused:

:laugh: :ices_rofl:

Ekka I think the chainsaw carver for making them into totem poles is a little bit behind schedule.

As far as the topic goes I adhere most of the times but a little one-handing every now and then happens. But I do it in a way that if the saw was to kick back it couldn't come into contact with my body.

Climb020 said:
Ekka I think the chainsaw carver for making them into totem poles is a little bit behind schedule.

As far as the topic goes I adhere most of the times but a little one-handing every now and then happens. But I do it in a way that if the saw was to kick back it couldn't come into contact with my body.

Have you tried the Stihl MS200T? It's a high output top-handle saw. I love it--it allowed me to cut big dead pine limbs in a couple pieces one-handed, and throw them to the other side of the tree, avoiding the shrubs underneath. It would have been really iffy trying to hinge the limbs and catch themn before they broke---and good-by Rhodys. Plus, you can turn it off with your thumb. Safety wise, you have to keep the tree to your right (I tried it the other way first, and it made me really nervous).

treeseer said:
I'm with reb.

Re safety vs. trees, that is a nutso dichotomy in the landscape. It may make sense in the bush; I dunno, never worked there. We value both, and consider both.;)
Safety first, always, no matter where you are working. As you are with Reb. I figure you are not playing with a full deck, a few bricks short..., not the sharpest..., elevator doesn't....

Back