How many peope follow the standards?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Consider this: breeches of pruning standard such as topping and flush cuts cause problems for the tree. This results in a more dangerous tree, one likely to fail in a storm and injure people. Thus the pruning standard actually protects people.

Oh, they're heading toward their 2nd year now and no re-growth yet

what? they just need fertilized

Hahahahahahaha

I try to follow what standards i know.Not alot of teachin around here and i never used to have time to learn.Now that im tryin to learn i aint got the cash to get the stuff i need.I can only refer back to what works and what hasnt.Needs to be a thread on here for ppl to post standards and things.

Dr. Dave I left out the detail that cutting back to nodes not laterals is only justifiable in extreme cases of "specialty pruning" per the standards. like storm =damage.

Ekka I think those palms might flush out next year; patience pays. :laugh:

Back to Safety Standards,

ANSI Z133.1, 2006, page 1,

1.4 Responsibilities of the Employee
Each person (employee or otherwise) shall be responsible for his or her own safety while on the jobsite and shall comply with the appropriate federal or state occupational safety and health standards and all rules, regulations, and orders that are applicable to his or her own actions and conduct.

That is verbatim. They bolded the shall, meaning to me, each person is in charge of his/her own safety. This is not a guideline. This is an order, and a good one. You are in charge of your own safety.

This seems to also suggest that if you get hurt, you have to look at the incident responsibly and ask yourself, "Were my actions and conduct in accordance with a safe way of being. What part did I play in my getting hurt. Do I choose to blame someone or something that I got hurt, or do I choose the responsible view of my part in my getting hurt? What was I doing? The standard states "Each person (employee or otherwise) shall be responsible for his or her own safety while on the jobsite"

We could dissect it further, but that one seems real clear.

TM

That's the best piece of common darned sense i have read for ages .... it should be law everywhere.

But there will always be that boss who has stuffed up bodgey gear or home made that just is never safe and has the worker use it, and if the worker says no, then he's fired.

I know when I work for another crew I pick up a 46 and it has no chain brake, so i pick up another saw, 26, no chain brake! WTF, I get my own out and tell the boss to fix his stinkin saws but atleast I have my own, many dont.

But if the accident is due to one handing an 020 and the saw is in good nick, then the employee should cop it not the boss.

However, the employee will say that the boss eggs him on to go faster and if he didn't one hand he wouldn't have a job.

Confusing, sure is. I cut above shoulder ht and one hand a lot, coz I do palms and that's how I cut the fronds off. But I'm the boss so it's OK, however if a worker was doing that I should tell him to stop right? So now I have to pay out wages and watch some-one go slow but will the customer pay twice as much for the same thing? ...

.... sorry mam, we gotta do this by the book and when I bid this I forgot I wouldn't be up the tree, so it's now $100 instead of $50 to clean up that $hit stick coz we're gonna use a handsaw.

.... Ooops, big mistake, sorry if this upsets ya, but the rules also say no spiking the $hit stick so we'll have to set a highline, prussik up bla bla so infact it's gonna be $150 now, but hey, we are the good guys who do it right......

.......... excuse me Mam, yes, over here, forget them, I work for myself and do whatever I want, I'll do it ole style for a 50, howzat? :laugh:

Heh, heh. Ekka, that's common darn sense because I pretty much pulled the words right off of one of your previous threads, the part about assuming responsibilities for one's own actions.

Any good accident is avoidable. What decisions and choices did you make to create the situation resulting in injury?

Is it the same everywhere, that you see instances where people blame and judge outwardly, rather than concentrating and assuring their own self-preservation? Accidents very often involve a team effort, i.e. two or more people contributing to the result. It very, very often results in one side vs. the other side. If we were to back up time, each individual would have to be able to see what choices he could have made in order to avoid the upcoming accident. Was I in an inappropriate place? Was I not paying attention? Was I not being careful? Was I doing something I shouldn't be doing, or doing it in a manner that was not safe? 'I am the cause of all injuries to myself on a jobsite, therefore I am aware, careful and vigilant for my own safety.'

If you run this idea past yourself while at the jobsite, it will result in a lot fewer people hurting you, or inanimate objects hurting you. This is adopting a safe way of being. It starts with you looking out for you and being responsible for you.

Then, watching out for the safety of others is pretty much a given.

THEN there is the part about no matter whose fault it was, it was the boss' fault.

pu...if you are a professional, you will follow all standards as close as you can. if you pick and choose what standard you will follow, you are just a "cutter" or "trimmer". i do follow all standards as close as i know. sure it might take me longer to prune a tree or remove a tree, but i am safer for it. i have a family to go home to at night, so i do whatever i can do so that i get home safe with some money in my pocket. we need more professionals in our line of work, so please stick to the standards as much as possible.

Latest posts

Back